New Subject: Last post is resulting strategy for aborts.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

New Subject: Last post is resulting strategy for aborts.

Postby bowlesj3 » 01 Apr 2008

I think the best part about testing MC3.0 is the fact that I learned I can use the skip button on the little exception popup up box that comes up when MC aborts. So now I can go back to MC2.0.999.999 and if I get that popup box just click skip and keep going all day without interruption. Since I have donated my share of dumps when I do the recalculation command I don't feel guilty for not contributing any more.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 03 Apr 2008, edited 3 times in total.

bowlesj3

Try skip a few times.

Postby bowlesj3 » 02 Apr 2008

Clicking the skip button actually works but you may have to do it a 2 or 3 times. I think this is a great idea. If the trade entry point is a ways away take the time to send the dump but if it is close skip that and take the trade.

bowlesj3

Skip worked maybe 2 times or 3 times.

Postby bowlesj3 » 02 Apr 2008

The skip worked maybe 2 or 3 times. Better than nothing. I assume that each time that abort popup comes up there is a repeat of a similar problem. Or the same problem in a different study. So some of them are not recoverable I guess. If I an recall correctly the ones that are not recoverable have a slowdown in the redraw/recalculation before hand. It is interesting that MC at times recalculations without the redraw and at other times the screen blanks and it redraws. Almost as if MC can recalculate until it runs out of some sort of resource (buffer or whatever) then it has to redraw and that is a sign that it is near its limit.

bowlesj3

Strategy for aborts.

Postby bowlesj3 » 03 Apr 2008

I have noticed that I am getting two types of aborts generally.
1/ Aborts that occur out of the blue that appear to be related to using the recalculation command. (Unexpected Exception Aborts - UEA).
2/ Aborts that occur after the studies start to take longer than normal to do their updates of whatever (text, trend lines, etc). At times the chart will actually blank out and fully redraw when doing a recalculation. I am not sure when this happens relative to a full bog down lock up. (bog down aborts - BDA).

I have found that with the UEA I can keep clicking the skip button on the exception popup until the popup stops coming up and MC will just go on as if it never happened and without any bogging down at all.

With the BDA it is best for me to do File Exit as soon as I notice MC is bogging down and when I am not in the middle of waiting for a trade. This seems to clear whatever is causing the bog down and MC is up to speed when it restarts. At times during the exit I have to use the task manager to kill MC since I get the standard "not responding message".

To Summarize the strategy, at the slightest slowdown while planning a trade, immediately exit and restart so this is not likely to happen when waiting for a trade. Maybe do this while planning a trade with the UEA too. If waiting for a trade and you get the UEA then use the skip botton so you don't miss the trade.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 03 Apr 2008, edited 1 time in total.

bowlesj3

A variation on the bog down.

Postby bowlesj3 » 04 Apr 2008

A variation on the bog down is where things seem to draw incorrectly. So what I do is I shut the study off then back on again and it takes forever to plot and draw everything. So I pull up the task manager and notice it is showing MC is not responding. The action and results are described above. Today when I forced it down and back up I never got an option to send the report/dump.

bowlesj3

Detecting MC is slowing with another program.

Postby bowlesj3 » 05 Apr 2008

It just occured to me that if one is sending Global variables data to MC from another database program and getting it back as well, one could detect when MC is slowing down and get a notice. It could be done during the planning stages of a trade as mentioned above. Records could be kept and used to set a parameter properly for the amount of slowdown before one is notified. I have noticed that the slow down is in the studies while the bar plots are not slowing down. The main benefit would be that while this bug is pending fix you can shut down MC and bring it back up before it actually goes into "nor responding state" thus saving some work and getting the data out to the database properly. The database program would do this detection much better than any human can.

Return to “MultiCharts”