Unpredictable behaviour when Arrange All from Window menu

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
2haerim

Unpredictable behaviour when Arrange All from Window menu

Postby 2haerim » 19 Apr 2008

Initially 4 windows(2 vertical and 2 horizontal) are open in the following order:

TP
CS

,where red/bold one is the current focused window. Now I click Arrange All menu to see how the windows are arranged.

PC
TS

Again I change the focus to the upper right one:

PC
TS

and click Arrange all to result in:

CT
PS

I move focus again to the upper right one:

CT
PS

and Arrange all

TP
CS

What is the rules to arrange windows when Arrange All menu is selected?

One thing is clear that the focused one becomes the upper left window. However it is not clear in what rules all the other windows are arranged.

When there are many windows open, Arrange All really mixes up the windows so that it is hard to find where is the one I was looking at.

This time I tested using six windows and stil don't understand how all the other non-focused windows are arranged:

005490 005380
017670 055550
009540 005930

005380 005490
005930 017670
009540 055550

I think there are several ways of arranging when "Arrange All" menu is selected. However, one option I would like to see is that windows are arranged according to the relative location of each window's upper left corner coordinate. That way, windows would preserve relative location when Arrange All menu is selected and easy to find the one I was looking at. Current implementation scrambles the relative positions according to an internal rule which is not clear at all. When there are many windows open (say, 15 or more), Arrange All menu makes hard to find which one is which.

Fortunately, Arrange Horizontal/Vertical does not scrambles window even though the focused window has changed.

sparkz

Postby sparkz » 19 Apr 2008

HaeRim, I think I'm right in saying it's basically to do with the order they were last focused in. You'll see more clearly if you arrange the windows vertically. Most recent is on the left, older on the right.

With "All Windows" with 4 charts. The most recently focused goes to the top left, next to bottom left, next to top right and last to bottom right.

So I click on the one I want last and through to the one I want first and then re-arrange.

Hope that helps.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 19 Apr 2008

You'll see more clearly if you arrange the windows vertically. Most recent is on the left, older on the right.

When I arrange vertically/horizontally, they kept the same order no matter which one has the focus last time.

Are you saying that the windows arrangement order gets changed depending on the last focused window? If so, we are experiencing differently.

I tried six windows. Please verify yourself again.

sparkz

Postby sparkz » 20 Apr 2008

Ok, this is weird! I tried 6 windows and like you said it doesn't work. So I went back to my 4 windows and that doesn't work any more. I even tried re-installing and it still doesn't work.

It definately used to. I'd been using this "feature" for the last year. It's very annoying because now there doesn't seem to be any control at all on the sequence. Whatever I do now it stays in the same sequence which seems to be the order they were created in :(

Can you still change your window sequence at all (on 4 windows)?

sparkz

Postby sparkz » 20 Apr 2008

Hmm strange. The 6 windows is working again now. I can change the order if I do an "arrange all". This applies to other quantities of windows like 4 which had stopped working yesterday.

Arrange by cascade also works but vertically or horizontally still doesn't. These did use to work up until I did an "arrange all" yesterday.

When I say "works", I'm talking about the behaviour where it used to order them in reverse order of activation. eg. 4321 for horizontal or
31 for all.

Return to “MultiCharts”