Is there an easier way to do this ?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
capgain

Is there an easier way to do this ?

Postby capgain » 22 Apr 2008

I have workspace with say, ten chart windows and each handling a different stock symbol. Each stock is associated with two data sources (free quote service for history and interactive brokers for real time). I want to copy this workspace to handle another set of ten symbols. Currently, I go to each chart window, set the symbol using format symbol, first setting for history with free real time, then setting for real time with interactive brokers (smart). As one can guess it is a real pain to do when I just want a workspace to handle a different set of symbols. I wanted to know if there is an easy way to do this and I am missing the obvious. I would appreciate any help on this. Easiest is if I could edit the workspace file (in a text editor) and replace the old set of symbols with new set. Life cannot be that easy ?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 23 Apr 2008

Hi capgain,

I'm afraid you'd need to set up each chart and workspace manually.

miltonc4

Postby miltonc4 » 24 Apr 2008

Hi capgain
Why not save the original workspace as a different name(xxx),then change the symbols in the charts(xxx) to the new set of symbols
Regards
Milton

capgain

Postby capgain » 24 Apr 2008

Hi capgain
Why not save the original workspace as a different name(xxx),then change the symbols in the charts(xxx) to the new set of symbols
Regards
Milton
Thanks for your response.

The problem is because I am using free time feed and interactive brokers real time feed. When I change the symbols (using command line), the real time feed is still with the previous symbol. I need to go and do "format symbol" dialog to change it.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 29 Apr 2008

Hi capgain,

You are right. For now, if you merge the data from 2 different data sources then changing the symbol in the command line will only change the symbol for one of those. And this has been done on purpose. For example, what should the program do if you merge 2 different symbols? How is it to know when to change both symbols or only one of them?

Hope the above makes sense.

Regards.

Return to “MultiCharts”