Connection on the second computer

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
sylfvdk

Connection on the second computer

Postby sylfvdk » 24 Apr 2008

Dear MC Support.

I have two computers, for using with MC. One is connected to the Internet, and the second is not. Can I somehow copy registration to my second machine, which is not connected to the Internet?

Thanks
Victor

capgain

Re: Connection on the second computer

Postby capgain » 25 Apr 2008

Dear MC Support.

I have two computers, for using with MC. One is connected to the Internet, and the second is not. Can I somehow copy registration to my second machine, which is not connected to the Internet?

Thanks
Victor
It would be great if Multicharts licensing used a different process to authenticate rather than limiting to one machine. It should be more that the license restricts to one person than one machine. I realize their concern about how to determine that (at some point trust should also be factored in by Multicharts - my assumption is that 90% or more would like to use it legally). It would great convenience if I can run it on 2-3 machines and each connected to a different IBKR account feed.

traderstuff

Postby traderstuff » 25 Apr 2008

Unless there are some new rules in the past year, MC has allowed a second copy of the program to be used by the original purchaser on a 2nd computer that is NOT used online and used for things like writing and testing strategies,etc.

MC support has to be contacted and a request to authorize the 2nd OFFLINE machine made.

If this policy has changed recently, or even if not, I believe that someone from MC support will post here soon.

Best,
Dear MC Support.

Thanks
Victor

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 25 Apr 2008

Hi guys,

We have always made it clear that we do not allow running MultiCharts on more than one computer at the same time. We do not have an 'offline' mode that would allow using the program without connecting to the internet. Whether you choose Online or Offline for the data server mode, for authorization mechanism it's the same thing - the program is being used. We monitor how many computers a lincense is run on and reserve the right to cancel the subscription for those users who run MC on more than one computer at the same time.

I would also like to add however that if we see that a lincense is occasionally used on only two computers, we do not take any measures against such a practice.

capgain

Postby capgain » 25 Apr 2008

Dear MC Support.

Thanks
Victor
From TS support response, the key words appear to be "used at the same time". As I understand, you are allowed to run Multicharts on any number of computers as long as you are running it on only one computer at any given point of time. So if you are running Multicharts at different times on these two computers, I think you should be able to register your license on both these machines. TS Support can correct me - I became their customer only a week or two ago and I am still in the stage of figuring out things :lol:

Fabrice Daniel

Postby Fabrice Daniel » 28 Apr 2008

We do not have an 'offline' mode that would allow using the program without connecting to the internet
I wrote two articles on Multicharts, saying it's a good alternative to TS ... but reading it ... Not usable offline ... is simply incredible ... TS is usable offline for 30 days before you have to reconnect for reactivation. All the other softwares in this industry works offline. I always used my TS during travels to check charts offline (waiting airplane, or into the train) and to test ideas, modify scripts, ... . In hotel too ... you used the Wifi (not free at all in the hotels) for half an hour to check and update your charts, then work offline on backtest for two or three hours ...

If I had know that two years ago I would have never buy MC.

About the price:

Seeing how the constant price increase policy make the user not confident about the future (how will it cost in two years for an upgrade ?) I will re-examine and publish an article to point out this two major problems in the "con" list.

About the price increase, the others increased their prices too ... but slightly ... $250 to $300, 20% is a max, no more ... Two years ago it costs about $500 and today nearly $1500 !!! 300% increase !!! (MC is price related to the Crude Oil or Wheat ?) ... nobody could be confident about how the price will be in two years ... especially for upgrades. There is implicit rules in this business, and such price jumps are not compatible with that.

www.addictfx.biz

TJ

Postby TJ » 28 Apr 2008

All the other softwares in this industry works offline.
that's not true.

since you made an assertion without any reference, I am not going to do it either.
Last edited by TJ on 28 Apr 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Fabrice Daniel

Postby Fabrice Daniel » 28 Apr 2008

Ok ... read : "nearly all the similar softwares" if you want.

I don't talk about purely online softs like eSignal of course but even TS allow to work Offline for 30 days.

You can use AB or WealthLab without any internet connection. Some other softwares used harware Dongle.

Fabrice Daniel

Postby Fabrice Daniel » 29 Apr 2008

Another precision : systematic online validation make sense only for susbcription based software. So why not for the Subscription option on MC, it make sense (but not 100% online again, it must allow minimum offline period of one month).

But when you pay for a Lifetime licence ... it's because you want to be able to continue to use this software even if TSSupport dissapear or if they are buy by a Broker that restric access to its customer base only ...

So :

1. What's happened if TSSupport disappear tomorrow for life time licence customers ?

2. What's happened if the authentication server goes down during the WE ? The WE is the best period to work on systems and to prepare the incomming week, not disturb by the market, you could be concentrated on your work

3. What's happened if TTSupport is buy by a Broker and if this one say : "ok no more version for non customers, and don't "unlock" the authentication, we simply disable the software usage for non customer"

So TSSupport : do you plan to do something ? excepting allowing subscription plan only ?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 29 Apr 2008

Hi Fabrice,

The questions that you have raised have been discussed many times before. Please see earlier posts on this forum.

Fabrice Daniel

Postby Fabrice Daniel » 30 Apr 2008

Sorry for not reading the forum everyday ...

Sorry for not reading all the forum messages at least one time a week ...

I'm guilty

I didn't undestand that I have to Build the FAQ by myself reading the Forum.

The current TSSupport FAQ is 18 items ... ultra light for this software ... I think you can create 20 more items easily (MayI suggest one item to explain the Authentication rules ?) .... Updating the FAQ for recurring questions will save a lot of time to you and us.

TJ

Postby TJ » 30 Apr 2008

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 30 Apr 2008

Thank you TJ:-)

Return to “MultiCharts”