SCANS

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
khalaad

SCANS

Postby khalaad » 02 Jul 2008

Dear Support,

How suitable is MultiCharts for scanning thousands of symbols?

Khalid

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 02 Jul 2008

Hi Khalid,

The first version of scanner will be able to scan 200 symbols. This number will be increased in later versions.

Regards.

eberle lutz

Postby eberle lutz » 06 Jul 2008

In order to have a really powerful scanner it should be at least 1000 symbols!

What about predefined esignal symbol lists? I would like to see in the scanner a possibility to add the esignal-symbols for indices like FTSE100, FTSE250, S&P500, NASDAQ100, DOW30, DAX30, MDAX, SDAX, TECDAX, NIKKEI225, ASX200, CAC40, MIB40, OBX, OMXC20, OMXH25, OMXI15, OMXS, ATX and SMI.
Needless to say that there also should be a way to add a custom watchlist to the matrix. While clicking at a symbol in the matrix it should be possible to connect it with the chart module of Multicharts. And there is still a thing that I am missing in Multicharts! There is no function so far to skim through a custom symbol list. It would be great to have the chance in the chart module to scroll from one symbol to the next inside of a symbol list.

I really like your software! Keep it up!

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 08 Jul 2008

Dear Eberle,
In order to have a really powerful scanner it should be at least 1000 symbols!
May I ask you why you're using this particular figure? Why is it 1000 symbols?
What about predefined esignal symbol lists? I would like to see in the scanner a possibility to add the esignal-symbols for indices like FTSE100, FTSE250, S&P500, NASDAQ100, DOW30, DAX30, MDAX, SDAX, TECDAX, NIKKEI225, ASX200, CAC40, MIB40, OBX, OMXC20, OMXH25, OMXI15, OMXS, ATX and SMI.
You will be able to add all the symbols into the scanner that are provided by eSignal. May I ask you what you mean by the 'predefined eSignal symbol list'?
Needless to say that there also should be a way to add a custom watchlist to the matrix. While clicking at a symbol in the matrix it should be possible to connect it with the chart module of Multicharts
In the later versions of the scanner, it will be connected to the chart module of MultiCharts.
There is no function so far to skim through a custom symbol list. It would be great to have the chance in the chart module to scroll from one symbol to the next inside of a symbol list.
A similar feature will be included into the later versions of the scanner.

Regards.

t123knight

Postby t123knight » 10 Jul 2008

Re the 1000 symbols. Currently I have over 600 symbols I look at using radar screen. I know you can have 1000 symbols per tabed page on a radar screen, and have as many tabs as you'd like. Will this be the goal of the Scanner to provide this kind of scanning ability?

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 11 Jul 2008

The first version of the scanner will have 200 symbols, later versions will have over 1000. The only problem is that most data vendors don't allow to have over 1000 symbols on the same pc.

Regards.

eberle lutz

Postby eberle lutz » 12 Jul 2008

Marina,

1. At least 1000 symbols because I have a realtime subscription with esignal for 1000 symbols. And with a powerful matrix I could upgrade this up to 2000 symbols. Furthermore I would like to scan in realtime all stocks of the european markets such as FTSE250, DAX30, MDAX, SDAX, TECDAX, CAC40, MIB40, OBX, OMXC20, OMXH25, OMXI15, OMXS, SMI and ATX all at once in one spreadsheet of the Radarscreen /matrix with my own indicators. For this reason the Radarscreen module should be able to handle at least 1000 symbols.

2. In the toolbar of the Radarscrenn module should be an option to select the most common indices. If I select for instance the FTSE250 and the DAX30 - all stocks of the FTSE250 and DAX30 should be automatically listed with all the corresponding eSignal symbols in the matrix. The same function should be provided for the data manager. That's what I meant with "predefined eSignal symbol lists".

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 14 Jul 2008

The only problem is that most data vendors don't allow to have over 1000 symbols on the same pc..
The issue of realtime feed symbol count is one thing, but there are many offline uses for a scanner.

I would consider it very important that scanning software should be able to work against cached data without a symbol count limitation. Consider that we can do almost anything with the PowerLanguage, and we may wish to do almost anything on all of our cached symbol data.

To the greatest extent possible, the analytical portions of the program should be capable of operating on whatever data is accessible. Please do not accept the data feed vendor limitations as your own!

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 15 Jul 2008

1. At least 1000 symbols because I have a realtime subscription with esignal for 1000 symbols. And with a powerful matrix I could upgrade this up to 2000 symbols. Furthermore I would like to scan in realtime all stocks of the european markets such as FTSE250, DAX30, MDAX, SDAX, TECDAX, CAC40, MIB40, OBX, OMXC20, OMXH25, OMXI15, OMXS, SMI and ATX all at once in one spreadsheet of the Radarscreen /matrix with my own indicators. For this reason the Radarscreen module should be able to handle at least 1000 symbols.
Hi eberle,

200 symbol limitation will be in place for the first version of the scanner. Future versions will support 1000 symbols.
2. In the toolbar of the Radarscrenn module should be an option to select the most common indices. If I select for instance the FTSE250 and the DAX30 - all stocks of the FTSE250 and DAX30 should be automatically listed with all the corresponding eSignal symbols in the matrix. The same function should be provided for the data manager. That's what I meant with "predefined eSignal symbol lists".
At the moment, we are not planning to add such a feature. You would need to create scanner workspaces and add the relevant stocks there manually.

Regards.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 15 Jul 2008

I would consider it very important that scanning software should be able to work against cached data without a symbol count limitation. Consider that we can do almost anything with the PowerLanguage, and we may wish to do almost anything on all of our cached symbol data.
The scanner in MultiCharts will be able to work with the locally stored data.

Regards.

moneymaker

Postby moneymaker » 28 Jul 2008

Hi,

I was asking a while before if it is possible to scan a whole market (NYSE, NASDAQ) and I've got the response that it will be possible with the next version of Multicharts.

Now I must read that scanning is only possible with max 1000 Symbols, I see no difference between Multicharts and TS. For Futures trader 1000 symbols are enough, but for stock traders not.

Perhaps you can build a market scanner like metastock has and you can save the found symbols. The saved file you can load into the workspace (your market scanner). With this your software would be really unique. How do you think about this idea?

Thank you

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 30 Jul 2008

Hi,

I was asking a while before if it is possible to scan a whole market (NYSE, NASDAQ) and I've got the response that it will be possible with the next version of Multicharts.

Now I must read that scanning is only possible with max 1000 Symbols, I see no difference between Multicharts and TS. For Futures trader 1000 symbols are enough, but for stock traders not.

Perhaps you can build a market scanner like metastock has and you can save the found symbols. The saved file you can load into the workspace (your market scanner). With this your software would be really unique. How do you think about this idea?

Thank you
The market scanner that we are working on now (the one that will be included into the 4.0 official release) will comfortably work with 1000 symbols requested in the minute resolution. If your computer can handle more, the scanner will handle more as well. There will be no limitations. Everything will depend on your computer configuration. With the end-of-day data, you will be able to screen many more symbols than that.

TJ

Postby TJ » 30 Jul 2008

I think soon people will realize that the limitation is not in MC, but in their data vendor, internet bandwidth, computer hardisk speed, CPU speed, the length of history they want to "scan"... etc., but most importantly, the mental capacity to digest what has been scanned.
Last edited by TJ on 31 Jul 2008, edited 1 time in total.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 31 Jul 2008

Hi everybody,

Once again, the upcoming MC scanner won't have any limitations on the number of tickers. Everything will depend on your PC capacity.

Return to “MultiCharts”