New Market Scanner

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
flipflopper

New Market Scanner

Postby flipflopper » 21 Jul 2008

I Installed the latest beta 4 version and really like the market scanner.

Two quick easy wins for the scanner that I'm sure many other traders are going to be asking for.

1. The ability to connect scanner symbols to charts!!! I kinda thought that was the main point of the scanner!!! I can't imagine not wanting to chart the symbols you are watching!!!

2. The ability to type symbols into the scanner directly. This was initially what turned me off to Multicharts. It is a very painful process to add a symbol to the scanner. You guys fixed this issue with entering symbols in charts but the process seems to have reappeared with the scanner.

york timothy

Postby york timothy » 21 Jul 2008

Hello marina,
I thought MC was going to be able to download lists of stocks into the scanner and those symbols could be then double-clicked to bring up a chart. Hopefully these things will be included in the scanner when it is released.
If you are a commodity trader you may only have as few as 1 symbol to maybe 20 or so. An equity trader typically has many more than this, sometimes upwards of 500+. To put these symbols in manually is a pain in the ass and could be resolved by linking MC to Notepad or Excell. Surely with all the wonderful things you have included in MC adding a link to Excell or Notepad can't be such a big deal. Please consider it. Thank you.

Warmest regards,

SP

Postby SP » 22 Jul 2008

The scanner works so far for me, i only have 3 improvement wishes:

1. Add the ability "Hide/Show Plots" like TS. A lot of indicators are plotting zerolines, bands ... in the charts windows, which arent needed in the scanner.

2. An option to disable "Update on every tick" at Format Study.

3. Ability to choose another background color than black.

Marina Pashkova

Re: New Market Scanner

Postby Marina Pashkova » 22 Jul 2008

Hi flipflopper,
1. The ability to connect scanner symbols to charts!!! I kinda thought that was the main point of the scanner!!! I can't imagine not wanting to chart the symbols you are watching!!!
We are planning to implement this feature. It will be possible to link symbols in the scanner to the charts. Also, it will be possible to bring up a chart by clicking on a symbol in the scanner.

Please keep in mind that it took some software developers years to develop market scanners. We had two months to do that. So what we are offering right now is a basic tool that scans markets. Future versions will be more sophisticated.
2. The ability to type symbols into the scanner directly. This was initially what turned me off to Multicharts. It is a very painful process to add a symbol to the scanner. You guys fixed this issue with entering symbols in charts but the process seems to have reappeared with the scanner.
This feature will be added as well.

Regards.

Marina Pashkova

Hello marina,
I thought MC was going to be able to download lists of stocks into the scanner and those symbols could be then double-clicked to bring up a chart. Hopefully these things will be included in the scanner when it is released.
If you are a commodity trader you may only have as few as 1 symbol to maybe 20 or so. An equity trader typically has many more than this, sometimes upwards of 500+. To put these symbols in manually is a pain in the ass and could be resolved by linking MC to Notepad or Excell. Surely with all the wonderful things you have included in MC adding a link to Excell or Notepad can't be such a big deal. Please consider it. Thank you.

Warmest regards,
In the future versions of the scanner, it will be possible to bring up a chart by clicking on a symbol in the scanner window.

As for adding multiple symbols, you can do the following (you will only need to complete the steps below once):

1. Take your text file with a list of symbols
2. Add artificial fields that are usually required for ascii mapping (date, time, price for example)
3. Map these symbols using an exchange that you don't normally use
4. The symbols will appear in QuoteManager
5. Bulk-add those symbols into Scanner

You will only need to set up a list of symbols in the scanner once.

If you need further help or clarifications please let me know.

TJ

Postby TJ » 22 Jul 2008

I have lists of stocks. Each list is about 50 companies. They are stored on excel spreadsheets.

Is there a way to copy and paste the symbols into the scanner?

Marina Pashkova

Hi SP,
The scanner works so far for me, i only have 3 improvement wishes:

1. Add the ability "Hide/Show Plots" like TS. A lot of indicators are plotting zerolines, bands ... in the charts windows, which arent needed in the scanner.
We will add this feature but it will have low priority on our list - simply because the desired result can be achieved by commenting out the relevant lines of code.
2. An option to disable "Update on every tick" at Format Study.
We'll try to implement it as soon as possible.
3. Ability to choose another background color than black.
Will be added in future. For now, you can do it through the indicators' codes (either set the colour through plots - the 4th parameter will be the background colour - or use SetPlotBGColor).

york timothy

Postby york timothy » 22 Jul 2008

Hi Marina,
Instead of all of these work arounds why are you so reluctant to simply add a link to Excell or Notepad that would resolve this problem once and for all?

Tim

Hello marina,

Warmest regards,
In the future versions of the scanner, it will be possible to bring up a chart by clicking on a symbol in the scanner window.

As for adding multiple symbols, you can do the following (you will only need to complete the steps below once):

1. Take your text file with a list of symbols
2. Add artificial fields that are usually required for ascii mapping (date, time, price for example)
3. Map these symbols using an exchange that you don't normally use
4. The symbols will appear in QuoteManager
5. Bulk-add those symbols into Scanner

You will only need to set up a list of symbols in the scanner once.

If you need further help or clarifications please let me know.

geizer

Scanner wish List

Postby geizer » 23 Jul 2008

First of all thanks to all TS Support developers for the great software.
The ability to use studies in the scanner is priceless. Here is my feedback along with my vision of the desired scanner.
Sort of a christmas wish list :wink::

The scenario:

I want to monitor the major stocks in the particular sector of the economy (for example: monitor major oil companies for breaking down their upward trend lines.
If, for instance, I expect this to happen in the next few days, I will prepare a group of stocks to watch in the new "Real Time Market Scanner Window". Typically, I would limit the number of stocks in my list to a 100. To generate these groups of stocks I use third party online scanning tool that cost me monthly fee (http://www.stockscores.com/userguide.as ... marketscan), therefore, I want to get these stocks into the MultiCharts quickly and efficiently to save time before the market opens. If the market then gives me a strong intraday signal, I might enter the trade. If no signal received, I continue to monitor stocks the next day. An so on.

So my requirements are:

1. Quick Import/or copy & paste the groups of symbols from a spreadsheet into the scanner windows at the end of each trading day.

2. Save Scanner Windows together with all the symbols within them under different names such as "my favorite scan", so I only have to do it once. All saved Scanner Windows should maintain their corresponding studies intact, independently of all other saved Scanner windows.

3. I need a way to quickly switch to/between Scanner Windows. (currently, if a scanner window is not detached from the main application, it's a pain to bring it upfront, too many mouse clicks required)

4. Scanner Windows need to be switched on-line/off-line, while remain open. When off-line, the scanner window is open, but the scanner is dormant. (to to save the CPU, or to ignore low priority scanner windows)

I know this is is a lot to ask, but this is how I see it:

1. Use a workspace concept - add a new "Market Scanner workspace".

a) A user will create a new "Market scanner workspace" and give it name.
b) Within this workspace user will create multiple scanner windows. (just like in a charting workspace)
c) Each scanner window will have it's own set of scanning rules
d) Each scanner window can be on-line or off-line independently.

2. Ability to save the Scanner Window settings is a "must have".

Having the above features would really help to focus on the trading and let the software to be just the efficient tool, implemented with the trader in mind.

I know your team has been working hard to bring the scanner, and I hope some of the things I mentioned are worth considering and are not too late or too difficult to implement.

Cheers,
Pavel
:wink:

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 24 Jul 2008

Hi guys,

Thank you for suggestions and comments.

Just a couple of things: Pavel, I might have misunderstood the request and you might be talking about something else, but you can create different workspaces with various scanner windows in them.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 24 Jul 2008

Hi guys,

Just a couple of things: Pavel, I might have misunderstood the request and you might be talking about something else, but you can create different workspaces with various scanner windows in them.
I completely agree with Pavels requests.

Multicharts has the potential to become an industry standard with just a bit of improvement and stability!!

Just thinking about the possibilities is exciting!!

t123knight

Postby t123knight » 25 Jul 2008

One feature I think might be a great addition to the scanner which TS does not offer is the following:

Symbols that meet the scanning criteria are continually being sorted to the top of the scanner list. When you have a large number of symbols it becomes difficult keeping track of those symbols that have most recently been moved to the top of the list. The feature I propose would be having the cell blink when it is first moved to the top of the list. The blinking would be stoped when you click on the cell. This will bring to the traders attention those symbols that have most recently been sorted to the top

When you are scanning many symbols it's hard to keep track of what stocks have "most recently" meet your criteria. I believe a feature like this would help a trader alleviate this pain.

geizer

Postby geizer » 25 Jul 2008

Hi guys,

Hi Marina,
Thanks for clearing this out.
I did not to give it a thorough test obviously (learning curve). The scanner is, in fact, a part of the workspace.

BTW, would be nice to auto-hide the title bar and scroll bars.
Cheers,
Pavel

eberle lutz

Postby eberle lutz » 27 Jul 2008

I love the scanner :lol: Great tool!!!

Could you (beside the above mentioned) please provide the opportunity/function in the next release to:

1. change the resolution for all symbols at once in the column
2. add more than 10 indicators / studies
3. allow string statements and different colours in the table elements (very important)
4. change fonts and numbers (colour, size and thickness)
5. define more than 3 sort criteria and the ability to save them as default

Return to “MultiCharts”