Trade Simulation

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Januson

Trade Simulation

Postby Januson » 29 Jul 2008

Hello TSSUPPORT

Maybe you could consider this http://www.mtiqs.com/de/screen.php It's a small application that can handle a lot of different datafeeds and provide it as a source into many different trading applications.
It can also simulate a quotes, meaning that us users can get a simulated trading platform where we can test and train our strategies "realtime".

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 31 Jul 2008

Hi Januson,

So are you are the only person to request this feature. If there are similar requests in future, we will consider incorporating the module.

regards.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 31 Jul 2008

I think that would be awesome!
So I guess that is two of us... :)

Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 01 Aug 2008

+1 Vote

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 01 Aug 2008

yes

+1 vote

Januson

Postby Januson » 04 Aug 2008

IMHO: Why wouldn't everybody be able to pratice outside opening hours? As a discretionary trader a simulated data feed is indispensable for ones succes:)

All to many times I've just sat there after market close, and thought to myself... arrggh darn, why didn't I do that and that. And every time I come up with the same reason (excuse :oops: ) : Practice, Practice and more Practice.
Wouldn't it be wonderfull to use a simulated datafeed and a buy/ sell button for a virtual portfolio inside MC. woohaaa we could all be Ninjas :D

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 04 Aug 2008

woohaaa we could all be Ninjas
Funny, (ironic?) that you would say that. NT has the ability to playback all the data (price and bid/ask volume) it has saved on any market, synchroniously. Ie: if you want to look at the Tick, Trin, Corn, Crude, Gold, YM, ES, ER and NQ all at the same time; it will play them (and their respective indicators) back simultaneously, all as if you had gone back in time and were re-living it. Plus, you can practice entering trades right on the charts and have the Automatic Trade Strategy (ATS) move your stops and exit at targets. No waiting for RTH to practice new ideas.
I'm not trying to pump NT, I am hoping for a kick a$$ MC someday and using NT as an example of what can be done for aspiring day-traders / scalpers where no amount of "back testing" can substitute for actual screen time. (by the way, did you know NT is free to practice with for as long as you like? And I never have to restart it several times or wait hours for it to back fill with 5 days of ES tick data when I turn it on.)

Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA

Januson

Postby Januson » 04 Aug 2008

Hello RobotMan, you catched the NT :)

Yes I've tried NT, but I felt most for MC and as you I hope MC-dev continue to listen at their customers and their needs.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 05 Aug 2008

Hi All,

I am seriously considering putting aside my MultiCharts for a number of years and become a NT.

I have reached this point because TS Support seems to care very little about people who want to autotrade but are not with IB, those who wish to carry out advanced research, and similar other matters.

Recently Marina confirmed MultiCharts is soon going to be enabled with e-mail alerts. Such a feature can facilitate auto-trading, fro which reason I asked further specific questions on on 1 August concerning E-MAIL ALERTS which have not yet been been answered.

Moving away from MultiCharts is going to be painful because I have spent last two years learning the EasyLanguage.

Researching/trading on a user-friendly platform is very important, and I shall just accept I made a bad trade and now two years later my stop is hit!

Khalid

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 05 Aug 2008

woohaaa we could all be Ninjas
Funny, (ironic?) that you would say that. NT has the ability to playback all the data (price and bid/ask volume) it has saved on any market, synchroniously. Ie: if you want to look at the Tick, Trin, Corn, Crude, Gold, YM, ES, ER and NQ all at the same time; it will play them (and their respective indicators) back simultaneously, all as if you had gone back in time and were re-living it. Plus, you can practice entering trades right on the charts and have the Automatic Trade Strategy (ATS) move your stops and exit at targets. No waiting for RTH to practice new ideas.
I'm not trying to pump NT, I am hoping for a kick a$$ MC someday and using NT as an example of what can be done for aspiring day-traders / scalpers where no amount of "back testing" can substitute for actual screen time. (by the way, did you know NT is free to practice with for as long as you like? And I never have to restart it several times or wait hours for it to back fill with 5 days of ES tick data when I turn it on.)

Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA
So far, we have not been covering manual trading and all the related functionalities. However, having analyzed requests/comments by our customers, we have come to the conclusion that manual trading must be implemented. This is something we will start working on in the nearest future. Also, a user-friendly playback functionality similar to that offered by NT will be developed.

Marina Pashkova

I have reached this point because TS Support seems to care very little about people who want to autotrade but are not with IB,
We have already added support of FXCM as a broker (will be available in the upcoming release). We have started working on adding PatSystems and Zen Fire. Trading Technologies are next on the list.
...those who wish to carry out advanced research, and similar other matters
Could you elaborate on that please?
Recently Marina confirmed MultiCharts is soon going to be enabled with e-mail alerts. Such a feature can facilitate auto-trading, fro which reason I asked further specific questions on on 1 August concerning E-MAIL ALERTS which have not yet been been answered.
Please see the topic you are referring to. Also, I would recommend submitting issues requiring immediate attention via e-mail, phone or livechat.

Marina Pashkova

by the way, did you know NT is free to practice with for as long as you like? And I never have to restart it several times or wait hours for it to back fill with 5 days of ES tick data when I turn it on

Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA
Could you please elaborate on the above please? What MC version are you talking about? What provider? How many charts? How long exactly did you have to wait?

Januson

Postby Januson » 05 Aug 2008

I never restart MC, in fact I think it's very stable and developed with great care for low performance and memory.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 06 Aug 2008

Thank you Januson:-)

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 06 Aug 2008

Could you please elaborate on the above please? What MC version are you talking about? What provider? How many charts? How long exactly did you have to wait?
Hi Marina,

I have noticed this in every version, I am using 4.0.1440.201 now.
It does not happen every time I start MC, maybe once every three days.
It always happens after trading hours (4:15p New York) and always in the evening. I always reboot my computer fresh everynight and then restart MC.

Data I am waiting for:
$ADV, $DECL, $UVOL, $DVOL,
$ADVQ, $DECLQ, $UVOLQ, $DVOLQ,
ES#F, NQ#F, AB#F

That's it. That's all. I would think that everything except the eminis would already reside in cache somewhere and that, since I have already received most of the emini data, I am probably only missing a few bars of the most recent, after RTH, emini data. I have 4 workspaces (usually 2) and maybe 13 charts total open (usually 9 total) at any one time. but all my charts say "waiting for data" (or something like that) for 5 -10 minutes, then I restart MC ( I make sure all processes are closed using System Internals' "Process Explorer" see attachment - NT not loaded until MC fully up and running). Restarting MC most of the times works and, "BAM" all charts come up rather quickly. Otherwise I just let it sit and I go do something else and come back later. Once in a great while, they never come up and I give up until the next morning.

I used to think that having QM open and collecting data helped solve the problem, but no. It only happens after hours when I start the program ( even though the little Data Manager taskbar icon is green). Because of how quickly the charts come up on restart, I have a really strong feeling that it is not MC so much as the eSignal servers not responding to data requests (or that tsServer.exe should knock harder on eSignals door.)

It's hard to test for, I think, because eSignal uses different server farms depending on where you are. It would be nice if there was some way tsServer.exe could knock on several doors to repopulate the charts then revert back to the original server for RT data. (I am not a IT programmer and have no idea if what I said makes sense or even possible because of having to go through the DataManager.)

Anyway, that's my tale. Once MC is up and running it is rock solid!

Hope that helps,
Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA
Attachments
ProcEx-01.jpg
(137.01 KiB) Downloaded 1204 times

napalm

Trade Simulation

Postby napalm » 08 Aug 2008

Add me to the list of supporters

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 08 Aug 2008

Hi Marina,

I have noticed this in every version, I am using 4.0.1440.201 now.
It does not happen every time I start MC, maybe once every three days.
It always happens after trading hours (4:15p New York) and always in the evening. I always reboot my computer fresh everynight and then restart MC.

Data I am waiting for:
$ADV, $DECL, $UVOL, $DVOL,
$ADVQ, $DECLQ, $UVOLQ, $DVOLQ,
ES#F, NQ#F, AB#F

That's it. That's all. I would think that everything except the eminis would already reside in cache somewhere and that, since I have already received most of the emini data, I am probably only missing a few bars of the most recent, after RTH, emini data. I have 4 workspaces (usually 2) and maybe 13 charts total open (usually 9 total) at any one time. but all my charts say "waiting for data" (or something like that) for 5 -10 minutes, then I restart MC ( I make sure all processes are closed using System Internals' "Process Explorer" see attachment - NT not loaded until MC fully up and running). Restarting MC most of the times works and, "BAM" all charts come up rather quickly. Otherwise I just let it sit and I go do something else and come back later. Once in a great while, they never come up and I give up until the next morning.

I used to think that having QM open and collecting data helped solve the problem, but no. It only happens after hours when I start the program ( even though the little Data Manager taskbar icon is green). Because of how quickly the charts come up on restart, I have a really strong feeling that it is not MC so much as the eSignal servers not responding to data requests (or that tsServer.exe should knock harder on eSignals door.)

It's hard to test for, I think, because eSignal uses different server farms depending on where you are. It would be nice if there was some way tsServer.exe could knock on several doors to repopulate the charts then revert back to the original server for RT data. (I am not a IT programmer and have no idea if what I said makes sense or even possible because of having to go through the DataManager.)

Anyway, that's my tale. Once MC is up and running it is rock solid!

Hope that helps,
Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA
Hi Bob,

Please contact us via LiveChat to demonstrate the problem.

Best regards.

TJ

Postby TJ » 13 Aug 2008

IMHO: Why wouldn't everybody be able to pratice outside opening hours? As a discretionary trader a simulated data feed is indispensable for ones succes:)

All to many times I've just sat there after market close, and thought to myself... arrggh darn, why didn't I do that and that. And every time I come up with the same reason (excuse :oops: ) : Practice, Practice and more Practice.
Wouldn't it be wonderfull to use a simulated datafeed and a buy/ sell button for a virtual portfolio inside MC. woohaaa we could all be Ninjas :D
I saw a feature in one software, which I think is very useful, and probably not difficult for MC to implement -- It is not a simulator, but a Screen SCROLLER.

Yes, that's right... a Screen Scroller.

Say, you have a 5min chart, and you want to review today's market action at the end of the day.

The Screen Scroller would load your chart into the computer, but showing the bars up to the end of yesterday.

You are provided with a pair of buttons: left arrow and right arrow.

If you click on the right arrow, the scroller will show you one more bar on the screen... and so on.

Thus it simulates the market as it unfolds.

I hope MC would consider this feature.

:lol:

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 19 Aug 2008

Thank you for the suggestion TJ. We'll consider this feature.

Regards.

Return to “MultiCharts”