e-mail INTERFACE

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
khalaad

e-mail INTERFACE

Postby khalaad » 30 Jul 2008

Marina,

Are there any plans in the near future to add an e-mail interface?

Thank you.

Khalid

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 31 Jul 2008

Hi Khalid,

Could you please specify what exactly you mean by 'e-mail interface'?

If you are talking about e-mail alerts, they will be available in about 2-3 weeks.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 31 Jul 2008

Marina,

Yes, by e-mail interface I mean a facility enabling sending of e-mail messages, alerts, etc.

This is, indeed, good news.

Would one be able to e-mail:

alerts given by indicatios;
orders generated by strategies?

Thank you.

Khalid

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 31 Jul 2008

Marina and Khalid,

I think that this is a brilliant idea!

Marina, just think, if Khalid is a skilled trader and has 10 friends who are beginners in trading, but all 10 wanted to trade the way Khalid does, they would all need to purchase MC to get Khalid's signal real-time! ''Viral trading''???

There is a lot of commercial potential to be explored with this idea for TSSupport.

Regards

khalaad

StrategyRunner

Postby khalaad » 31 Jul 2008

For Autotrading:

StrateryRunner -- www.strategyrunner.com -- has thousands of users all over the world and accepts stratrgy-generated e-mail orders for hands-free trading.

No broker restrictions.
No need to write an auto-trading custom program / .dll.

PLease find attached a couple of guides.

Khalid
Attachments
SRDDE.pdf
(255.36 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
SAS_UserGuide.pdf
(1.24 MiB) Downloaded 263 times

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 05 Aug 2008

Hi Khalid,

E-mail alerts for drawings and indicators and e-mail alerts for the executed orders are different things. What we are going to implement now is e-mail alerts for indicators and drawings. Alerts for signals are to be implemented later.

Regards.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 05 Aug 2008

Marina,

Thank you for the the reply; I clearly understand the different kind of
e-mail alerts/notifications/whatever.

The step is in the right direction.

Regards,
Khalid

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 11 Sep 2008

Marina,

On 31 July you replied:
If you are talking about e-mail alerts, they will be available in about 2-3 weeks.
I have now downloaded 4.0.1573.202 but have not been able to find any email alerts function.

It is 6 weeks since your reply and I would have thought "in about 2-3 weeks" should not have extended beyond 2X!

I hope I am wrong and the email interface is in there somewhere.

Khalid

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 11 Sep 2008

Marina,

On 31 July you replied:
I have now downloaded 4.0.1573.202 but have not been able to find any email alerts function.

It is 6 weeks since your reply and I would have thought "in about 2-3 weeks" should not have extended beyond 2X!

I hope I am wrong and the email interface is in there somewhere.

Khalid
khalid,

I remember reading a list of bugs that have been fixed along with e-mail alerts being added while I was upgrading to the latest beta. Now , just like you I can't seem to find the e-mail setup or anything to do with it. I hope it has not been left out by mistake.

I hope it is not a treasure hunt season, winner get MC gold for free.

Regards
Super

khalaad

SUPER,

Thank you for making me laugh.

Otherwise, I might have also trashed my re-installed MultiCharts!

In all honesty I shall be presently very happy with only a bronze MultiCharts!!

Khalid

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 11 Sep 2008

In ver 4 beta 2 , email alerts are there, for drawing objects and studies.
highlight a study and select, "format" then "alerts", it's at the bottom. (have to click on "enable alerts" to use it)

khalaad

brodnicki steven,

The ALERTS are, indeed, right there!

Thank you.

I had actually downloaded 4.0.1440.201_beta1 on 7 September; and was looking for alerts in 4.0.1440.201_beta1!!

And when I posted by complaint 11 September I just checked here http://www.tssupport.com/support/downloads/
for the current version!!!

How thoughtless.

Marina,

Please accept my SINCEREST APOLOGIES.

Khalid

khalaad

Marina,

Thank you so very much for the inclusion of e-mail alerts in MultiCharts 4.0.1573.202_beta2.

I thing this is a big step forward.

Khalid

geizer

E-Mail Alerts user-specified SMTP port request. Please !

Postby geizer » 15 Sep 2008

Thanks for adding E-mail Alerts in the new Beta release.
However, one small and very important thing need to be implemented.
I am talking about user-specified SMTP port number.

Big internet providers are blocking the 3rd party SMTP traffic on port 25, unless it goes through their own SMTP servers. The official "reason" is an attempt to crackdown on Spammers and viruses. We may argue if blocking port 25 by some of the big internet service providers is lawful practice or not, the harsh reality is: they continue to do it and have their own reasons . And these service providers have millions of users affected (including me). The big boys such as Google Mail, and Yahoo Mail, offering their clients alternative SMTP ports 465 or 587 in addition to standard port 25. The issue has become so widespread that Apple had to accept it as a fact and recently included all of these ports: 25, 465, 587 referring to them as "default" in the latest update for their Mail client for MAC OS X. Apple called it "improved robustness when sending mail" (I've attached the screenshots FYI)

So my reality is: Im unable to use the the new E-mail Alert feature because I have to use alternative SMTP port 587 which is not configurable in Multicharts :(.
I wish this can be added In the official release of Multicharts 4.
Attachments
SMTP error.jpg
(32.72 KiB) Downloaded 1326 times
SMTP ( Desired ) configs.jpg
(35.77 KiB) Downloaded 1348 times

geizer

Adding custom port # to the Email Alert settings (v4 beta 2)

Postby geizer » 19 Sep 2008

Marina,
I am sorry if my previous post was too technical, but would be nice to hear the opinion of the Multicharts developers in addressing the issue outlined in my previous post.
I will try to restate it in plain language: Some Internet providers block standard E-mail traffic in order to prevent their subscribers from using third party e-mail services. If TS Support added the custom SMTP port number to Email Alert settings, then it would enable 100% of current users and 100% of prospective users to use E-mail Alerts freely, regardless of their choice of e-mail service provider. (as of today not all users are able to use the E-mail Alerts without a hassle of getting yet another e-mail address that works with Multicharts + their current Internet Service Provider)
So let me repeat my question (excuse me for being straightforward here):
Are you considering implementing this feature?
Thanks for answering.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 25 Sep 2008

Hi Pavel,

Yours is a good idea. We'll look into it to see how difficult the implementation might be. If it is not too difficult, the ability to set the custom SMTP port number will be available in the next release.

Regards.

geizer

E-mail Interface bug report

Postby geizer » 30 Dec 2008

Marina,
Thank you for the custom SMTP port implemented in v.5 beta 2, although I keep getting error messages.
In my test setup I use two gmail accounts: one to send, another to receive the E-mail alerts. I also tried to deactivate E-mail protection in Anti-Virus (Kaspersky 2009) but had no luck either. It also seems like these two error messages interchanging randomly, regardles of the port # I use (25, 465, or 587).

PS: Thought, this might help: http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=617974
Hi Pavel,
Yours is a good idea. We'll look into it to see how difficult the implementation might be. If it is not too difficult, the ability to set the custom SMTP port number will be available in the next release.
Regards.
Attachments
port 25 error.jpg
(76.61 KiB) Downloaded 1306 times
port 587 error.jpg
(94.1 KiB) Downloaded 1313 times

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 30 Dec 2008

Are you sure that your email settings are correct ? , in the smtp setting, you have to put the IP address-example 55.33.22.11
I have NO problems with the email alerts.

geizer

Postby geizer » 30 Dec 2008

Are you sure that your email settings are correct ? , in the smtp setting, you have to put the IP address-example 55.33.22.11

I have NO problems with the email alerts.
Steven,
Are you using a standard port 25? This may work for you, but this doesn't work for me, since my ISP is blocking SMTP traffic on port 25.
(read their excuse: http://www.shaw.ca/en-ca/CustomerCare/I ... ort25Block), so I take advantage of alternative SMTP ports 465 or 587.

I type smtp.gmail.com (not an IP address) in the SMTP server field, which should be resolved into IP address automatically by the DNS server(s). I could type in the IP address if I had one. Unless I missed something, or TS Support insist that I have to resolve the IP address myself, this should work.

PS:
I just did a little test with my E-mail client, and it seems that GMAIL SMTP server only works with SSL enabled. I really hope that TS Support will resolve this minor obstacle and come up with the answer in the final MC v.5.

The GMAIL settings are here: http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answ ... swer=13287
I also attached the screenshot of my e-mail client settings which work 100%. Please note that that my account name does not include "@gmail.com" part but still works, with or without, I tested it both ways.
Attachments
settings that work.jpg
(99.37 KiB) Downloaded 1308 times

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 30 Dec 2008

yes, I use port 25.

alpha

E-mail & I-Marketposition

Postby alpha » 02 Jan 2009

What is the value of e-mail alerts if the alert can't tell you that your system position has changed in some way by switching round or adding lots?

Without the I-Marketposition and I-AvgEntryprice being implemented by TSSupport e-mail alerts are not in the least bit useful to automated trading only to discretionary trading? Is this the reason why these functions have not been implemented as with them you could set up auto trading to just about any broker?

Is nobody autotrading fx to Interactive Brokers? Is the MC autotrading setup really as clunky, error prone and unreliable as it seems? How is it possible that TSSupport can put together fx autotrading which does not work?

I am interested to hear from any person autotrading fx with Version 5.0 Beta 2 (Build 1781) to understand how they get it to work?

Thanks.

basscat2

Postby basscat2 » 17 Apr 2009

Hello support,

I am still waiting to read that you are in the process of adding SMTP e-mail interface for transmitting signals for automation.

I currently use TS and the smtp to send signals to my ATC Broker software (OEC). It works flawlessly. As we all know the TS data is slow compared to others (especially OEC data) and the MultiCharts software is much faster than TS so adding this feature to MultiCharts is important.

As the guy mentioned a few posts above this one, if the SMTP feature was added, one could basically auto trade with just about any broker out there and wouldn't be limited to IB for automation.

Is implementing this SMTP much more complicated that we think?

I appreciate your help.

J

Andrew Kirillov

Re: E-mail & I-Marketposition

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 20 Apr 2009

What is the value of e-mail alerts if the alert can't tell you that your system position has changed in some way by switching round or adding lots?
If you believe that e-mail alerts is auto-trading mechanism only it is not correct. I do believe that e-mails are not acceptable for auto-trading if you signals are frequent.

Without the I-Marketposition and I-AvgEntryprice being implemented by TSSupport e-mail alerts are not in the least bit
IMarketposition and IAvgEntryprice are implemented and released.

Is nobody autotrading fx to Interactive Brokers? Is the MC autotrading setup really as clunky, error prone and unreliable as it seems? How is it possible
that TSSupport can put together fx autotrading which does not work?

I am interested to hear from any person autotrading fx with Version 5.0 Beta 2 (Build 1781) to understand how they get it to work?
I want to understand a foundation of your statements. MultiCharts auto-trading works flawlessly and is used by hundreds of people. Some of them do trade forex via IB.
Why do you need e-mail alerts if we are seamlessly integrated with IB?
You say “clunky, error prone and unreliable as it seems”. It is definitely not true. Our auto trading engine requires zero efforts from a user. The most important thing
that unlike many programs on the market you shouldn’t care too much about programming part of auto-trading. You just need to insert buy/sell signals and click automate!
Rethink and you will discover MultiCharts as one of the most powerful algo-trading platforms.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 20 Apr 2009

Is implementing this SMTP much more complicated that we think?
I appreciate your help.
Yes, it is quite complicated. The e—mails alerts are sent as market orders as soon as respective stop/limit orders are touched on the program’s side. So it is logical to make this feature as soon as we will have the order tracker.

Return to “MultiCharts”