Can I have 2 IB Data source?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Aug 2008

how do I do that?

I would like to run a live TWS account in one computer...
then have a TWS demo account (not papertrading) running in another computer.

one MC chart will run off the live TWS account, while another chart will run off the Demo TWS account. (this is for testing autotrade).

I have cloned the IB datasource dll and gave it a different name (IB DEMO).
It seems that when I change the IP address of the demo account, the live account IP Address changes with it.

Is there anyway to create 2 IB data source?

fs

Postby fs » 18 Aug 2008

Yes, this is possible. I had it running on one computer with two TWS sessions before I gave up on auotrading through MC.

Change the listening port on your demo TWS to another port than the default 7496, say 7495 for example. Then when you activate autotrading under the settings for Broker Plug-in, change the port there to the port you have changed in your demo TWS, in this case 7495.

But be careful, when you run repair on MC, or upgrade, MC change the setting back to the default 7496, so you might think that you are still trading in your demo account when you are actually placing live trades.

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Aug 2008

fs:

thanks for the tips on using a different port.

can we have 2 dll, each pointing to a different IP address?

TJ

fs

Postby fs » 18 Aug 2008

I doubt that you can do that. To be honest, I cannot think why you want to do that? I am sure you have your reasons though and this is not for me to question them.

If you want to do that so that you can have a feed from your live TWS, but also want to autotrade in your demo account on another computer, then you can also enter the IP address in the broker plug in settings under autotrading.

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Aug 2008

I have 2 computers.

I prefer to keep the live TWS separately on a notebook computer.

I am thinking of testing autotrade on the computer where MC is installed, thus the need for 2 IP address.

I know the charting IP and trading IP can be different.
I was just wondering if can simply dedicate a dll for demo testing, then I will not run into the risk of mixed IP.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 19 Aug 2008

TJ,

You can run TWS Simulated Trading which has live feed with MC for testing purpose and TWS Live trading on another PC/Laptop, I think this should solve your problem.

Regards
Super

Return to “MultiCharts”