NEW SCANNER

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Marina Pashkova

NEW SCANNER

Postby Marina Pashkova » 19 Aug 2008

As you know, the first version of scanner that we released has a number of limitations. We have optimized this module and run new performance tests for the new scanner (to be released soon). The results can be found below:

Online mode

- When using data indicators (last, net chg, net%chg, bid, ask, high, low, volume today) + 2 other indicators (ADX, Average true range), MultiCharts scanner can comfortably work with 2,500 symbols
- When using one indicator (ADXR) – 3,500 symbols
- No indicators used – 5,000 symbols

Offline mode

When adding symbols gradually

- Data indicators (last, net chg, net%chg, bid, ask, high, low, volume today) +2 other indicators (ADX, Average true range) – 6,300 symbols
- One indicator (ADXR) – 19,000 symbols

When adding all the symbols simultaneously:

- Data indicators + 2 other indicators (ADX, Average true range) – 5,500 symbols
- One indicator (ADXR) – 12,500 symbols
Last edited by Marina Pashkova on 05 Nov 2008, edited 1 time in total.

t123knight

Postby t123knight » 26 Aug 2008

The Scanner has been working flawlessly for me and I'm looking forward to adding more symbols when the new version is released.

My questions are:
1-are there are any plans in alowing for easier insert of symbols (cut and paste from excel) and
2-having charts link to the scanner

If so, will they be available in the next release. Probably the most important part would be the linking of charts to the scanner.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 02 Sep 2008

Hi t123knight,

For now, we are not planning to support cutting and pasting symbols from excel directly into scanner. However, whatever you have there in QuoteManager can be bulk-added into the scanner.

We are now working on 4.0 beta 2 version of MC: that version will already support linking of symbols within a scanner window to chart windows.

Beta 2 should be available within the next few days.

Regards.

york timothy

Postby york timothy » 03 Sep 2008

Hi Marina,
May I ask why you won't connect to Excel so it is possible to download symbol lists?

Tim

Hi t123knight,

For now, we are not planning to support cutting and pasting symbols from excel directly into scanner. However, whatever you have there in QuoteManager can be bulk-added into the scanner.

We are now working on 4.0 beta 2 version of MC: that version will already support linking of symbols within a scanner window to chart windows.

Beta 2 should be available within the next few days.

Regards.

drwar

Postby drwar » 03 Sep 2008

[quote]Hi t123knight,

"whatever you have there in QuoteManager can be bulk-added into the scanner.

Regards.[/quote]

I don't understand how that can work. Symbols in quote manager are for data storage and independent of compression. So how can you add (in bulk) all those symbols to the data scanner without compression information. Maybe your saying something different than I am understanding.

Jerry

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 04 Sep 2008

Hi Marina,
May I ask why you won't connect to Excel so it is possible to download symbol lists?

Tim
Hi Tim,

Because we are preparing a different implementation for custom symbol list management. Custom symbol list will be importable into QM.

Regards.

york timothy

re: scanner

Postby york timothy » 18 Sep 2008

Hello Marina,
How do I bulk load the symbols from QM to the scanner? I input about 100 symbols manually then their was a hiccup by MC and I lost all those symbols. I don't want to have to do it all over again manually. Thank you for your help.

Warmest regards,

Tim

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 25 Sep 2008

Hi Tim,

To bulk-add symbols into a scanner window, please follow the instructions below:

1.Double-click a cell in the scanner
2.In the dialogue window, choose the data provider
3.Using the moust and the SHIFT button highlight the symbols that you want added
4. Click OK.

Also, please see the attached screenshot.
Attachments
bulk-adding symbols into scanner.PNG
(83.11 KiB) Downloaded 762 times

Kaos

Postby Kaos » 01 Oct 2008

I know the scanner window title bar says Real Time Scanner but does it work with EOD metastock data?

I ask because I added in the Dow Jones Index and the high and low do not show. I didn't see any fields for Open or Close

The default scanner ADX indicator shows different results to the indicator on the chart (yes both have identical settings)

The default scanner Average True Range indicator shows same results to the indicator on the chart (yes both have identical settings)

I added a Slow Stochastic to the Scanner and Chart with identical default settings and the scanner and chart have different results for the indicator numbers --- but both show the 80 / 20 overbought/oversold inputs correctly

------------------------------

Also is there anyway to increase the font of the scanner cells?

Regards,
Paul

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 08 Oct 2008

Hi Paul,
I know the scanner window title bar says Real Time Scanner but does it work with EOD metastock data?

I ask because I added in the Dow Jones Index and the high and low do not show. I didn't see any fields for Open or Close
Try plotting this data on a chart and see if those values are shown in the chart's status line. The thing is that those values in scanner are taken from the same source that the status line takes them from. However, if you can see those values in the status line for those symbols but not in the scanner, this is bug.
The default scanner ADX indicator shows different results to the indicator on the chart (yes both have identical settings)
This is because ADX in the scanner and ADX on your chart are calculated on the different number of bars. If you use the default ADX indicator in the scanner with the length=14 the scanner will load 20 bars for calculation. To run an accurate test, you would need to plot 20 bars back on your chart as well. Of course, the ADX length should be =14 as well. The values should be the same in this scenario.
The default scanner Average True Range indicator shows same results to the indicator on the chart (yes both have identical settings)
This is because Average True Range is calculated on the current bar only (it doesn't reference history). In this case, even if you have a different number of bars on the chart compared to the number of quotes loaded into the scanner, the results will be the same (unlike in the case with ADX)
I added a Slow Stochastic to the Scanner and Chart with identical default settings and the scanner and chart have different results for the indicator numbers --- but both show the 80 / 20 overbought/oversold inputs correctly
The explanation for the difference in indicator values is the same. As for the input values that are shown, these values are not calculated they are specified by the user. They are shown as they are in the indicator settings.
Also is there anyway to increase the font of the scanner cells?
In the current version of the scanner, the font size can only be changed through the system settings of your operation system. Of course, in this case, the font size of all the system windows will change.

In future, we are going to make it possible to change the font size/colour directly in the scanner.

Regards.

Return to “MultiCharts”