Anyone Else Notice Trendlines Moving!??

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
flipflopper

Anyone Else Notice Trendlines Moving!??

Postby flipflopper » 27 Aug 2008

It's painful enough that Multicharts can only keep trend lines for ONE symbol(I am praying everyday that this will be fixed soon as many of us follow more then ONE SYMBOL!!!!)

But I have noticed that the trendline for that ONE symbol magically moves from time to time.

I'll have a nicely drawn uptrend line connecting the lows then one day I'll notice that the line has moved ever so slightly rendering it useless and confusing as hell.

Sweet!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Is this just me or has anyone else noticed this?

TJ

Postby TJ » 27 Aug 2008

you must have indicators on the chart.

Right click on the chart... select "Visual Order".

select your data series, choose "Bring to Front"

Your drawing objects will now anchor to the data series.

Also, check the Format of each study on the price subchart:
...make sure the "Scaling" is set to "Same as Symbol".

flipflopper

you must have indicators on the chart.

Right click on the chart... select "Visual Order".

select your data series, choose "Bring to Front"

Your drawing objects will now anchor to the data series.

Also, check the Format of each study on the price subchart:
...make sure the "Scaling" is set to "Same as Symbol".
Cool. I just made the adjustment. Thanks. Hopefully this will solve that. Not sure why it would have an effect though since the trendline anchored to the data series when I created it. But I won't complain as long as this solves it!! :D

TJ

Postby TJ » 27 Aug 2008

Drawing objects anchor to the top most layer (Front) of the studies you have on the chart.

It is possible that when you added an indicator, that indicator some how got floated to the top layer.

To test if your trendline is anchored properly: position your mouse on the vertical price scale... press down on the left button and at the same time move the mouse up and down. You will see the price bars stretch and squeeze. If the trendlines stays with the price bars, then your trend line is anchored properly.

p.s. you can right click on the price scale to make sure it is scaled to the data series.

flipflopper

Drawing objects anchor to the top most layer (Front) of the studies you have on the chart.

It is possible that when you added an indicator, that indicator some how got floated to the top layer.

To test if your trendline is anchored properly: position your mouse on the vertical price scale... press down on the left button and at the same time move the mouse up and down. You will see the price bars stretch and squeeze. If the trendlines stays with the price bars, then your trend line is anchored properly.

p.s. you can right click on the price scale to make sure it is scaled to the data series.
This must be a different issue you are referring to then because in the past the trendline did stick to the price bars when I would shift the x axis. The line would move when I reopened multicharts.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 02 Sep 2008

Hi flipflopper,

Could you send us a screenshot before and after? As well as the description of what exactly you do to have the trendlines moved? You mentioned closing MultiCharts and re-opening it? From what I understand you just apply a trendline, close MC, open it and the trendline has moved? Is that right?

Thank you for clarifications.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 02 Sep 2008

Will do. I'm not sure if they change as time moves forward and more bars come in but regardless trend lines should NEVER move.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 03 Sep 2008

Will do. I'm not sure if they change as time moves forward and more bars come in but regardless trend lines should NEVER move.
They change when the new session starts

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 03 Sep 2008

Hi flipflopper,

One important addition:

If trendlines are anchored to particular bar points they might move if those points move. Only free style trendlines won't move.

Regards.

Return to “MultiCharts”