How would MC functions be multi core distributed

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

How would MC functions be multi core distributed

Postby bowlesj3 » 09 Sep 2008

Hi,

I was in a discussion on the omega-list about different softwares and it shifted to multi-core on MC and the reasons traders were going to multi-core. I learned that the highest number of cores on one processor is currently 4 and to get 16 cores you need four "quad core" processors.

I am curious how MC is programmed to take advantage of multi-core. My first guess is this (just a guess).

1/ price plots might be sent to one core (they never seem to slow down).
2/ Each chart's study updates might be sent to separate cores.
3/ Each workspace's study updates might be sent to separate cores.

Maybe someone in the know could confirm and/or correct and/or refine my guesses. I am thinking that the more your customers know about how this works the better they can refine their code (or machine setups) and ultimately be happier which might lead to more sales. As an example, one person is running a high number of cores but his machine is hot and noisy so he puts it in the basement where it is cool and uses high speed lines so he can put his monitors and keyboards up stairs away from the noise and heat. Another trader is running 8 cores and 8 gigs of memory to solve speed and high data problems. These types of examples are I suppose a special category of case study (hardware versus software).

Thanks,
John.

TJ

Postby TJ » 09 Sep 2008

This was explained before... I have to do a search to find the threads...

Basically the following is my understanding:

[edit:] the following numbers are not in reference to your numbers above.
1. Charting -- each chart is handled by one core. i.e. all the studies in that chart is calculated by the same CPU core. This makes sense because this is easiest way to preserve data integrity.
i.e. if you only use one chart, multicore serves you little advantage.
i.e. if you have one chart with 100 indicators on it, and 3 charts with no indicator on them, you might see one core very busy while the other 3 cores idling.

2. Optimization -- MC created a proprietary algorithm to use all cores for concurrent calculation... resulting in faster optimization time than other programs on the market.

3. Compilation -- Only one core is used during compilation. Multicore has no advantage.

Hope the above helps.

Regarding CPU usage,
I have a Q6600, the slowest of quadcores. I usually open 10 wsp with 8 charts each. I use lots of custom indicators with drawing objects and sound alerts. My CPU utilization hoovers around 3%~4%, with 20% at peak.

Do a search on the forum with the keywords "multicore" or "multi-core", you will find more discussions from last year.
Last edited by TJ on 09 Sep 2008, edited 1 time in total.

bowlesj3

First guess was correct.

Postby bowlesj3 » 09 Sep 2008

Thanks TJ. Seems guess #1 was correct. So if lets say two workspaces are running with 8 charts each and the machine has 8 cores then MC would distribute the processing for the studies on 2 charts to 1 core and repeat this until all 8 cores were used.

TJ

Re: First guess was correct.

Postby TJ » 09 Sep 2008

Thanks TJ. Seems guess #1 was correct. So if lets say two workspaces are running with 8 charts each and the machine has 8 cores then MC would distribute the processing for the studies on 2 charts to 1 core and repeat this until all 8 cores were used.
I think you are complicating things. ;-)

bowlesj3

I agree.

Postby bowlesj3 » 10 Sep 2008

Your right. Just buy 16 cores, let MC do the work and forget about it.

Return to “MultiCharts”