Suggestions about performance report and optimization

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
2haerim

Suggestions about performance report and optimization

Postby 2haerim » 10 Sep 2008

Many MC users say that optimization process is quite inconvenient to use.
They want:

1) To run multiple optimization at the same time. Parallel run would be the best but if it is complicated, as in TS batch run of multiple optimization would be acceptable.
2) To have one global performance report window which show the current foused chart's report, and switch when user clicks different chart. And when he wants to open a separate performance report, he can open one performance report per each chart.
3) The above 2) also applies to the optimization report window too.
4) To automatically run one strategy for multiple resolution for a symbol. For example, he wants to run optimization for a strategy on a 1 min, 2 min, 3 min, ....

Maybe other people could have mor ideas on upgrading Performance report and Optimization process.

Please join here and express what features you want MC to have.

Thanks

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 10 Sep 2008

+ 1 Support to items 1 to 3,

#4 suggestion, don't know if it is possible with MC to accomplish what you are requesting as at present optimisations are based on current chart-bar resolution. If it can be done then, one will have ability to optimise for most profitable bar resolution.

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 11 Sep 2008

2haerim,

Nice suggestions.

But don't you think fixing bugs and incorportation of functions which facilitate profitable trading efficiently and without stress should be priority?

Khalid

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 11 Sep 2008

On the subject of the Performance Report. I'd like to see more stats about drawdown, crucially "Current Drawdown" which is sorely missing from TS, also "% of max" which would show how close to max drawdown you are. I know I can figure these manually, but I'm a trader not a clerk.

Also, I'd like to see a simple forward test in the form of a new signal property: Development Date. This would be a user-specified field containing the date the signal in its current form was developed. If specified, the PR would compare performance before and after this date to see whether "unseen" performance was as good as "hindsight" performance.

Thirdly, a summary of performance by entry type would allow a trader to quickly see which of his named trade types were most succesful and use this info in formulating position-size strategy.

khalaad

Now I know why TS Support has (hopefully had) recently been focusing on bells and whistles rather than core functionality – THERE IS DEMAND FOR THE FANCY!

Khalid

brendanh

Of course bug fixes should take priority. Eg When closing unchanged workspaces, why are we prompted to save?

My first suggestion is hardly fancy, the two extra drawdown stats are essential information and would be trivially easy to program.

khalaad

brendanh,

You may turn off the save workspace dialog box prompt by clicking FILE, then PREFERENCES and then the WORKSPACES tab.

Yes, your "Current Drawdown" and "% of max" in all probability will not require lot of programming. But I fail to see how these would be necessary in designing a money management strategy.

I just happen to believe the sole (or at least the first) raison d'être of an analysis software is to help its user higher profits.

Khalid

brendanh

You are correct they aren't necessary for designing a money management strategy, but they will help higher profits. They are for real-time monitoring of a system you are trading. I'd speculate almost all systems will eventually breach max drawdown when unseen data is used. Current drawdown analysis is important in determining whether to continue trading a system. Introducing a Development Date signal property (my second suggestion) will allow quick current drawdown comparison with "hindsight" max-drawdown.

Most software only offers the option to save when closing something that has changed, MC lacks this ability. That File, Preferences option is an "always or never prompt" setting, and also doesn't affect when closing a workspace when not closing MC.

khalaad

Yes, brendanh, you are RIGHT.

It is just that there may be other equally convenient ways of real-time monitoring of a system; the shape of the equity curve being one.

But your suggestion is valid and merits follow up.

Khalid

Return to “MultiCharts”