another simple, but useful suggestions

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
2haerim

another simple, but useful suggestions

Postby 2haerim » 10 Sep 2008

Futures traders want to enter slippages and commissions in % of the initial capital.

Please add an option to enter them in % or in addition to the absolute amount.

fs

Postby fs » 10 Sep 2008

To be honest, I don't understand why futures traders would want this? When you say initial capital, do you mean initial margin? With margins differing so widely between between contracts, I don't see how this will be useful. Neither as percentage commission, nor slippage. I am trading mainly futures I can see that this could be useful for stocks, but for futures, this just wouldn't make sense.

I am not against adding this feature and is not argueing against adding it. I just don't see the use for it, but if someone else do, then more power to them. I am just curious to find out why this would be useful. Maybe I can learn something new. Can you maybe provide an example of where you think this will be useful in futures trading?

khalaad

Postby khalaad » 11 Sep 2008

I wouldn't dream of determining the initial capital without knowing my net advantage which may only be calculated after the:

size of average win;
size of average loss;
percentage of winning trades;
percentage of losing trades;

are known.

Khalid

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 11 Sep 2008

The commission is proportional to the futures price and in such case entering commission in percentage is more adequate than an absolute value, I think.

khalaad

In my 23 trading futures I have ALWAYS paid commissions in fixed monetary values, never as a percentage of futures price!

Khalid
Last edited by khalaad on 11 Sep 2008, edited 1 time in total.

2haerim

Well,

we do pay commission in proportion to the futures price.

So some prefer absolute value and some prefer % value.

khalaad

2haerim,

There may be places where commission in percentage is charged. Is this common common enough to justify resource allocation at this stage of MultiCharts development?

My emphasis is simply this: TS Support does not have limitless resources for which reason every MultiCharts user will be better off if we ALL insist fixing and inclusion of core facilitating-higher-profits functions are given priority.

Khalid

fs

Postby fs » 11 Sep 2008

Sorry, but this just doesn't make sense. Dow futures are over $10,000 and Corn futures under $10. I don't see how anyone can base commissions on a percentage of that. If you use 0.5% commissions, then it means that for corn you will pay 5 cent commission (based on $10, in reality this is lower) and for the Dow you will pay over $50 commission, which in both cases doesn't make sense. I can't imagine any broker charging commissions based on a percentage of the price. With the ever changing prices, you will have different commissions every day.

Can you maybe give me names of brokers who charge like that? I would like to check them out to see how that works.

khalaad

fs,

I can assure the list won't include any exchange-traded futures brokers.

I can also state on good authority even in (weakly regulated) Pakistan such will not be tolerated.

Khalid

2haerim

The commission in our case is calculated as follows:

Commission Per Trade = BigPointValue x Fill Price * Commission Rate
where, Per Trade means either 1 buy or 1 sell.

Therefore, it is more natural and correct to use % as the commission rather than a fixed amount per trade.

And for Slippage, I would rather like to enter the # of ticks per trade. For example, 0.5 tick or 0.8 tick. Tick value for each symbol is differnet but we can calculate the tick value as follows:

1 Tick = BigPointValue * MinMove / PriceScale

In our case if we can enter slippage and commisson, it will be more accurate and natural.

In summary, I wish I could have additional option to enter slippate in ticks and commission in %.

khalaad

2haerim,

MultiCharts is a commonwealth; so, until the Gold version, you are entitled to ask for whatever you want.

However, it remains to been proven a sizable number of MulriCharts users would be part of "in our case".

Khalid

Return to “MultiCharts”