tick charts with ib feed

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
winsome

tick charts with ib feed

Postby winsome » 09 Oct 2008

hi.
my charts are falling way behind price lately. on ym it was approx 150 points just after close. had a look at q tracker and they kept up making me think it was not my computer. trading ym/ es multi charts tick bars with ib feed. any help appreciated.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 10 Oct 2008

Hi winsome,

What did you base your comparison on? Or to be more precise, what programs and data feeds were you comparing? Did you plot a symbol from a provider in MultiCharts and compared the data to that in the provider's native application? Could you please describe what exactly you were comparing?

Thank you!

winsome

Postby winsome » 10 Oct 2008

thank you Marina for your reply.

not been technical myself, i will try to explain better. over the past few weeks my tick charts have been falling behind true price from ib. using m charts with ib feed. i presume that the red flashing figure bottom right of screen is time behind, ? if so it often goes up to about 60 s. on Thursday it reached over 600s. earlier in the week i compared with quote tracker with ib feed and that was keeping up with price. never compared on Thursday as market was in extremes . would it help if i deleted and re installed multi charts ? seems as i am the only one with this problem. thank you.

TJ

Postby TJ » 10 Oct 2008

that means the data is coming in, MC is reading them... but your computer is overloaded and does not have enough processing power to handle the vast amount of incoming data.

you need a faster computer.

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 10 Oct 2008

I have to agree with TJ, it sounds like your computer can't keep up with the wild markets lately. Maybe you run too many applications, at the same time, as well.
I was running a P4 3.0 gig desktop(single core) with IB and the CPU was running a constant 40%-60% usage, much too high, so I had to build a faster one.
One way to check, is to go to "Windows task manager"(XP) and click on "performance", it will show the cpu usage. (In XP - press "cntrl-alt-delete" keys- all at the same time, then select "task manager", then "performance")
Check it when you see MC running behind.

winsome

Postby winsome » 11 Oct 2008

thank you very much for your help will try the above on monday see how i go on.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 16 Oct 2008

Hi winsome,

Did you follow TJ's and Steven's advice? Did it help? If it didn't, please let me know.

Regards.

winsome

Postby winsome » 20 Oct 2008

thank you marina and all. tried task manager and my cpu was runnning at 100% before my charts started to fall back. looks as i need new computer. thank you all for the help.

Return to “MultiCharts”