Features that make you drool

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TJ

Features that make you drool

Postby TJ » 16 Oct 2008

MC probably would never have it...

this is from Open E Cry...

see the volume histogram on the right side of the DOM?

http://elitetrader.com/vb/attachment.ph ... id=2124221

Nick

Postby Nick » 20 Oct 2008

MC has a volume histogram however TSSupport have so far ignored suggestions to get it into a really useful trading tool. Kind of a strange really as it would be pretty trivial to make it much much more useful. A shame.

flipflopper

Re: Features that make you drool

Postby flipflopper » 20 Oct 2008

This isn't even in the scope of MC?!?!

MC is charting... what you are showing is order management. Talk to NT about adding this.

Might as well ask Multicharts to be a broker too?!!?

fs

Postby fs » 20 Oct 2008

MC is charting... what you are showing is order management. Talk to NT about adding this.

You are missing the point completely. What is shown is the Volume Histogram on the DOM. MC has a similar Volume Histogram feature at the side of the chart, which unfortuntely is not useful at all the way it is implemented.

The request has nothing to do with the DOM and is about the Volume Histogram. Maybe try to understand what is being talked about before you decide what is in scope.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 21 Oct 2008

You are missing the point completely. What is shown is the Volume Histogram on the DOM. MC has a similar Volume Histogram feature at the side of the chart, which unfortuntely is not useful at all the way it is implemented.

The request has nothing to do with the DOM and is about the Volume Histogram. Maybe try to understand what is being talked about before you decide what is in scope.
Oh.... how silly of me!?!?

I guess I'm not smart.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 21 Oct 2008

Hi TJ,

You need a start and an end point for the calculation of the volume value. Do you know what time points are taken by OpenECry?

I'm asking because we are planning to create our own DOM some time in the future.

Thank you.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 21 Oct 2008

Marina,

Please do not start working on a DOM ladder until you are completely satisfied with Multicharts primary charting functions.

As we have discussed in the past the two major improvements that should be addressed (other then the current bugs we have discussed) before any new features are added:

1. Trendlines (Drawings) should be linked to the symbol instead of the chart.

2. Ensure that Multicharts NEVER EVER turns off a signal or an indicator without the users intervention. eg If I select a 200 bar moving average on a tick chart and I'm flipping through symbols and get a symbol that doesn't have enough bars to calculate the indicator then the indicator should keep trying until it does have enough bars.

Please don't make the fatal mistake so many software companies make... overextending themselves and ignoring their core business. Multicharts is first and foremost a charting application.

TJ

Postby TJ » 21 Oct 2008

Hi TJ,

You need a start and an end point for the calculation of the volume value. Do you know what time points are taken by OpenECry?

I'm asking because we are planning to create our own DOM some time in the future.

Thank you.
if you go by the time in the symbol's session template, it should be ok.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 21 Oct 2008

I agree with TJ. Plus the option (maybe a checkbox?) of excluding overnight (ie: session 1) for emini / globex data.

It would also be nice to see POC (point of control), VAH (Value Area High), and VAL (Value Area Low); maybe as small colored dots on the ladder. Just a thought.

Bob Perry
Los Altos, CA

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 22 Oct 2008

Marina,

Please do not start working on a DOM ladder until you are completely satisfied with Multicharts primary charting functions.
Hi flipflopper,

I can see that my post was confusing. We are actually not planning to start working on DOM for a long time. It is in the longer-term plans.

For now, what I wanted to find out is what the starting point for volume calculation is so that we could use it in the volume histograms on our charts.

As we have discussed in the past the two major improvements that should be addressed (other then the current bugs we have discussed) before any new features are added:

We are planning to implement this feature shortly.
2. Ensure that Multicharts NEVER EVER turns off a signal or an indicator without the users intervention. eg If I select a 200 bar moving average on a tick chart and I'm flipping through symbols and get a symbol that doesn't have enough bars to calculate the indicator then the indicator should keep trying until it does have enough bars.
We consider this a minor feature. It will be implemented but in later versions of MC.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 22 Oct 2008

Hi everybody,

So my question is:

The starting point for the histogram should obviously be the starting point of a session. But what session are we talking about here? The standard OpenECry session or the 24-hour session?

Best regards.

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 22 Oct 2008

Marina,

Hi flipflopper,

I can see that my post was confusing. We are actually not planning to start working on DOM for a long time. It is in the longer-term plans.

For now, what I wanted to find out is what the starting point for volume calculation is so that we could use it in the volume histograms on our charts.

We are planning to implement this feature shortly.
We consider this a minor feature. It will be implemented but in later versions of MC.
This is really great news Marina. Thanks!!!

fs

Postby fs » 22 Oct 2008

Hi everybody,

So my question is:

The starting point for the histogram should obviously be the starting point of a session. But what session are we talking about here? The standard OpenECry session or the 24-hour session?

Best regards.
Why not allow the user to enter the time he want it to start? If this is too difficult, my vote would be to use the regular trading hours session.

geizer

Postby geizer » 22 Oct 2008

Marina,

1. Trendlines (Drawings) should be lnked to the symbol instead of the chart.

Please don't make the fatal mistake so many software companies make... overextending themselves and ignoring their core business. Multicharts is first and foremost a charting application.
I totally agree with flipflopper in the above statement.

There is tremendous value in having all existing features working correctly. The software world is filled with "jack-of-all-trades, master of none" products that unusable either due to complexity or number of bugs.

I would like to quote one more person here:
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction." - Albert Einstein

stockmacd

Postby stockmacd » 23 Oct 2008

The features that flipflopper are talking about are a must.

I like drawing trendlines, fibonacci retracements, fib fans, etc. but MC doesn't save them. This feature would really be useful.

Return to “MultiCharts”