Bar Completion/Update Delays

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
mojotrader

Bar Completion/Update Delays

Postby mojotrader » 05 Dec 2008

Please see attached video illustrating a very annoying problem related to bar completion.

This problem has been around since 2.x but it really needs to be addressed since charts are not being updated correctly based on current information.

A range (Point) bar is completed when a new price is received outside the current range. MC is not painting the new bar or updating indicators immediatly based on the new price. Instead, MC waits for another tick, or some other event, then updates the bar and indicator.

The attached video with commentary illustrates the problem.

Thanks,
~mojo
Attachments
MCChartPaintDelay.zip
AVI in zip file. Use QuickTime to scroll video forward/backward to see problem.
(551.43 KiB) Downloaded 191 times

mojotrader

Postby mojotrader » 08 Dec 2008

Bump!

Before my post scrolls off the front page of this forum doomed to page 2 where no readers, or TS venture, please TS examine and respond to the attached video of my first post. It's a very annoying problem that needs to be addressed.

~mojo

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 09 Dec 2008

Hi mojo,

We will need to run tests on our end to either confirm this behavior as a bug or explain to your what exactly happens.

Regards.

traderstuff

Postby traderstuff » 25 Jan 2009

Hi mojo,

We will need to run tests on our end to either confirm this behavior as a bug or explain to your what exactly happens.

Regards.

What is the answer?

Marina Pashkova

Re: Bar Completion/Update Delays

Postby Marina Pashkova » 26 Jan 2009

Please see attached video illustrating a very annoying problem related to bar completion.

This problem has been around since 2.x but it really needs to be addressed since charts are not being updated correctly based on current information.

A range (Point) bar is completed when a new price is received outside the current range. MC is not painting the new bar or updating indicators immediatly based on the new price. Instead, MC waits for another tick, or some other event, then updates the bar and indicator.

Thanks,
~mojo
Hi mojo,

If this issue is still bothering you, could you please contact us via LiveChat?

Thank you.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 26 Jan 2009

Marina,

please consider the following post altogether.

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=5957

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 27 Jan 2009

Thanks,
~mojo
Hi mojo,

Thank you.
Mojo,

Do you have any hidden data series in your chart?

mojotrader

Postby mojotrader » 27 Jan 2009

Thanks,
~mojo
Hi mojo,

Thank you.
Mojo,

Do you have any hidden data series in your chart?
No, just one symbol.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 28 Jan 2009

Hi mojo,

In this case please contact us via LiveChat.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 28 Jan 2009

Marina,

have you looked at my post showing the screenshot from the tsGSDataFeed?

You wanted to show me the problem from one of the standard feed, and I did run the same test with GlobalServer feed.

I hope you also pay attention to my post, too.

Maybe mojo's issue is exactly the same with mine, but just don't ignore the possibility that they are two different issues.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 28 Jan 2009

HaeRim,

As I mentioned before, if the problem only occurs on tick resolutions, this is the problem that I described above and it will not be addressed in the nearest future.

If the problem manifests itself when you have ONLY time-based resolutions, this is an altogether different story and we need to see it.

If you have this problem on time-based resolutions (NO tick-based charts should be used), please contact us via LiveChat to demonstrate the problem.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 29 Jan 2009

Marina,

I've recorded the screen showing the lagged indicator update issue for tsGSDataFeed which is one of the standard feeds.

I've recorded for 10 second chart which I believe is time-based chart.

The file size is about 49MB, so I can't upload it here.

The workspace and the indicator I upload here simply plots 2 data series and a simplest form of indicator.

You will see that when Data1 is keep moving, the indicator stops plotting until the next bar for Data2 is plotted. I am not sure this behavior is a bug or just intended one. What I expect is that the indicator should be plotting even though Data2 is not completed using the previous value.

When you are online, I would send you the avi file I recorded.
Attachments
IndicatorLagProblem_GS.wsp
(42.42 KiB) Downloaded 355 times

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 30 Jan 2009

Hi HaeRim,

The problem on 10-second bars has been confirmed as a bug. It has to do with indicators not being calculated on open of second-based bars.

The bug will be soon fixed.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 30 Jan 2009

Finally it is confirmed as a bug and good to hear that 10-second bug will be fixed soon.

What about the same issue with 10-tick chart? As you said before, it won't be fixed soon and have no ETA?

mojotrader

Postby mojotrader » 30 Jan 2009

Hi HaeRim,

The problem on 10-second bars has been confirmed as a bug. It has to do with indicators not being calculated on open of second-based bars.

The bug will be soon fixed.
Marina,

This seems to be the same problem with Point/Range bars, and is fairly obvious in slow markets. The example video I posted in another thread seems to confirm this. Please check the Point bar code to verify all indicators are calcualted on opening of a new bar.

Thanks,
~mojo

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 02 Feb 2009

Hi guys,

The problems on second-based charts and on tick-based charts are unrelated.

The problem of indicators not being calculated on bar open on second bars will be fixed soon.

The problem related to tick-based charts (including point or volume charts) is of a different nature. It will manifest itself on a chart with several price series and no indicators. This problem will not be fixed immediately.

Best regards.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 18 Mar 2009

The update issue has been fixed.

Return to “MultiCharts”