My MC stopped plotting 2008 data

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Tresor

My MC stopped plotting 2008 data

Postby Tresor » 01 Jan 2009

Hello,

I opened my MC today and noticed that no charts with 2008 data were plotted. MC says ''Waiting for data...''.

My first guess was to go to QM and change (i) Contract Year from 2008 into 2009 and (ii) Expiration Date from 2008-..-.. into 2009-..-..

So I did it. Unfortuantely, my MC keeps on waiting for data and plots nothing.

The 2008 is stored in QM.

What would be the solution to this issue?

Thanks

TJ

Postby TJ » 01 Jan 2009

it must be over a year ago, I have asked for a "One-Button Back Up" feature for MC.

All the user needed to do is to push a button (or schedule a recurring event) and MC would back up all the data, wsp, studies, etc. into an archive.

At the event of a corruption, all the user needed to do is to push the "Restore" button, and choose the version of the back up to restore, and viola you are good as OLD.

but sadly, the response I received was I could write a batch routine to do the same, no need to bother MC with this request.

Tresor

it must be over a year ago, I have asked for a "One-Button Back Up" feature for MC.

All the user needed to do is to push a button (or schedule a recurring event) and MC would back up all the data, wsp, studies, etc. into an archive.

At the event of a corruption, all the user needed to do is to push the "Restore" button, and choose the version of the back up to restore, and viola you are good as OLD.

but sadly, the response I received was I could write a batch routine to do the same, no need to bother MC with this request.
Hello TJ,

Does it mean that, although the 2008 data is stored in my QM, I will not be able to plot them?

Regards
Attachments
QM has 2008 data.jpg
(162.96 KiB) Downloaded 629 times

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 01 Jan 2009

Today being the New years holiday am I correct in assuming your data retrieve setting is for off line data? I am having no problem. It is in "file, preferences, data server mode"

I backup my workspaces and the 3 database files very day to a zip file for every day over the last 30 days. example: MC_data27.zip for the 27th day. I can return any days data and workspace and recreate the whole thing of line as if it is that day again after market hours. You could make it forever if you made it MC_Data_YYYYMMDD.zip

Tresor

I backup my workspaces and the 3 database files very day to a zip file for every day over the last 30 days. exampple: MC_data27.zip for the 27th day. I can return any days data and workspace and recreate the whole thing of line as if it is that day again after market hours. You could make it forever if you made it MC_Data_YYMMDD.zip
How brilliant of TSS to have found a perfect solution for expanding our professional careers :twisted:

Bowlesj3, you are not only a trader now, you are also a prospering data manager. Hopefully, the latter position will be paid for one day :wink:

Regards

bowlesj3

The reason for the example of my backup method is that MC "if in off-line mode" should be able to display any data 1989, 1970, whatever, if you return it from that data file into the MC directory. If you wanted to go back to that date with the current data in your file you can't really because it ends up being a really "pain in the butt" search effort. They have no "go to date" function. I requested that actually. But even if they had that go to function then your text markings would not be there.

Tresor

The reason for the example of my backup method is that MC "if in off-line mode" should be able to display any data 1989, 1970, whatever, if you return it from that data file into the MC directory. If you wanted to go back to that date with the current data in your file you can't really because it ends up being a really "pain in the butt" search effort. They have no "go to date" function. I requested that actually. But even if they had that go to function then your text markings would not be there.
Hello,

As far as I am concerned, this is somewhat a complex logic for someone trying to get a degree only in trading and someone whose computer literacy is nothing more than ''copy and paste''.

How do other charting packages deal with this issue. Is their data management logic as complicated as MC's?

Regards

bowlesj3

Try this. It may be the problem.

Go into MC and click "File" on the main menu, then click "Preferences" then click the "Data Server Mode" tab, then make sure that you have "offline: I want to use the local data base only" checked.

When you get your feed again you have to set this back of course.

bowlesj3

Hi Tresor,

If what I suggested above works the "show Dialog" should be checked on so you can decide on this each time you start MC.

John.

Tresor

Hi Tresor,

If what I suggested above works the "show Dialog" should be checked on so you can decide on this each time you start MC.

John.
Hi John,

First I got a command to close all my workspaces.

So I closed them and followed your advice. My 2008 data are plotted now.

Many thanks :D

Does this problem appear only when new year comes or is it calendar un-related?
Last edited by Tresor on 01 Jan 2009, edited 1 time in total.

bowlesj3

Actually it has nothing to do with the calendar. If you have MC marked for online (the top option in your picture) and it can not get the feed from your provider of the data it just locks up waiting. What happens is when ever you shut MC down properly it writes the data out to its databases (there are three of them) and this allows you to get at them offline even while the feed is not coming down. So again it is important to remember that when you start MC again and want the live data you need to set it back. You also need to make sure that the check box to fill in missing bars is set or it will not backfill any data since the last time you were online.

Hope that helps,
John.

bowlesj3

Check in this directory. This is where the three databases are. They should get larger every day as you download new data from the data provider.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\TS Support\MultiCharts\Databases

If MC aborts at the end of the day it may not write the data out to these files. It has to shut down properly.

Tresor

Actually it has nothing to do with the calendar. If you have MC marked for online (the top option in your picture) and it can not get the feed from your provider of the data it just locks up waiting. What happens is when ever you shut MC down properly it writes the data out to its databases (there are three of them) and this allows you to get at them offline even while the feed is not coming down. So again it is important to remember that when you start MC again and want the live data you need to set it back. You also need to make sure that the check box to fill in missing bars is set or it will not backfill any data since the last time you were online.

Hope that helps,
John.
Helped perfectly :D

Thanks

Tresor

I guess I know what caused the problem. After I tried to login to my account I found out that my AGN demo data feed expired today :mrgreen:

I apologize for troubling you guys on holiday and thank you for your help.

Regards

TJ

Postby TJ » 01 Jan 2009

LOL

no harm done,
back to partying...

Return to “MultiCharts”