Ugly chart when combining different timeframe charts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Duvald

Ugly chart when combining different timeframe charts

Postby Duvald » 14 Dec 2008

Hi,
when I put a 2 second chart on my 5 minutes chart...... the candles of the 5 minute chart are very spaced, and when I try to reduce spacing between candles, the result are super thin 5mn candles which is very unpractical.

Is there a way to resolve this ? So candles look normal even when combined with smaller timeframe ? The "weight" feature might solve it but it doesn't work with candles, only with line and bars.

See attached file: the candles (vertical grey lines) are so thin I can't distinguish them from the wick.
The green dots are closes on 2 sec chart.

I'm using MCFX but it's the same on mutlichart 4x.

Thanks,
Duval
Attachments
candleproblem.gif
(5.49 KiB) Downloaded 444 times

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 16 Dec 2008

Hi Duval,

The crucial thing when mixing different time-based resolutions within the same chart window, is making sure that the scaling is preserved. Thus, it is quite natural that, when combining 5-minute bars and second bars, the spacing between the minute bars will drastically increase - to preserve the correct scaling. When you reduce the spacing between the bars their width does (and actually should) increase - once again to ensure that everything is drawn to the scale. As for finding the way around this behavior by making candlesticks thicker, I have passed this feature request on to our engineers. The development team will consider this feature for implementation in the future versions of the program.

Regards.

Duvald

Postby Duvald » 22 Dec 2008

I replied precisely to this via Email; with screenshot on how a competitor deals with this issue in the proper way IMHO.

Codially,
Duvald

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 15 Jan 2009

Dear Duvald,

We do not consider what we saw in those screenshots a correct data representation. Bars on the chart must be aligned along the time scale and placed in their correct spots. The 5-second bars in those charts are crammed together. If you point a cursor at them you won't be able to see their correct location. They compromise the whole idea of combining different time resolutions in the same chart.

Regards.

jl12

Postby jl12 » 21 Jan 2009

Duvald is right. There does seem to be a problem when combining low time frame data, I combine 20s with 20 s data and the higher time frame data loses detail.
The bars bars become too thin relative to the spacing and open and close markers are lost when tightening the spacing. see attachment
Attachments
20s2s.png
(105.04 KiB) Downloaded 394 times

Return to “MultiCharts”