"Clone chart Window" feature request

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
geizer

"Clone chart Window" feature request

Postby geizer » 28 Jan 2009

Marina,

PLease consider adding "Clone Window" option in the right-click menu for chart windows. This would be a time-saver.

I am setting up trading environment and creating a number of workspaces, and found myself doing no-brainer things over and over again instead of "just do it once". I mean things like resizing the windows, adding indicators, setting the resolution, etc.

Despite being yet another feature request, it's a time saver for us, customers. And you know it.
The same can be applied to Scanner Windows.

Imagine one end-user spend ~1 hour on repetitive tasks like configuring chart windows in workspaces then 1000 users would take 1000 man-hours!!! that's overhead. Cut time in half means time spent on something more productive.

With Respect to your hardworking team of developers,
-Pavel

TJ

Postby TJ » 28 Jan 2009

right on the chart would be nice.

p.s.
to duplicate a chart window:
File> Copy Window

to set up a standard series of indicators
Format> Study Templates...

geizer

TJ,
thank you for help
File> Copy Window
Oops... It doesn't work within the same workspace - it only allows copying between workspaces.

What about adding "Clone Window" and move in into right-click context menu?

And, wouldn't be logical to have it in the Window menu, rather than File Menu?

I mean Get Real! You open Window Menu and you see Cascade !!! Can anyone in this forum in their right mind explain me why would I need to Cascade the charts on my screen??? Anyone ??? Please! Hah, that's why - because it's a standard Windows GUI feature, carried over since Windows 3.1, SO WHAT? So what if everybody else doing it? (No, I lied here - Apple MAC OS X does'n have this feature :) ). Just awaken and disable it!

And can anyone in this forum explain me why we need all these windows listed in the Window Menu??? My workspace have 30 windows each showing particular market index. Every single of them must be visible. Can Anyone CONSCIOUSLY prove me the need to have windows listed in Window menu of the trading software? Where every single window must be displayed? Isn't that's why these neat Detach/Stick window features were created ???

I mean Get Real
http://gettingreal.37signals.com/ch05_Hold_the_Mayo.php
and Simplicity Sells
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/davi ... sells.html
Last edited by geizer on 28 Jan 2009, edited 3 times in total.

TJ

Postby TJ » 28 Jan 2009

Oops... It doesn't work within the same workspace - only allows copying between workspaces.
it does copy within the same workspaces.

go to the Window menu
and you will see 2 chart with the same symbols/indicators/setups.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 28 Jan 2009

TJ,
thank you for help
File> Copy Window
Oops... It doesn't work within the same workspace - it only allows copying between workspaces.

What about adding "Clone Window" and move in into right-click context menu?

And, wouldn't be logical to have it in the Window menu, rather than File Menu?

I mean Get Real! You open Window Menu and you see Cascade !!! Can anyone in this forum in their right mind explain me why would I need to Cascade the charts on my screen??? Anyone ??? Please! Hah, that's why - because it's a standard Windows GUI feature, carried over since Windows 3.1, SO WHAT? So what if everybody else doing it? (No, I lied here - Apple MAC OS X does'n have this feature :) ). Just awaken and disable it!

And can anyone in this forum explain me why we need all these windows listed in the Window Menu??? My workspace have 30 windows each showing particular market index. Every single of them must be visible. Can Anyone CONSCIOUSLY prove me the need to have windows listed in Window menu of the trading software? Where every single window must be displayed? Isn't that's why these neat Detach/Stick window features were created ???

I mean Get Real
http://gettingreal.37signals.com/ch05_Hold_the_Mayo.php
and Simplicity Sells
http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/davi ... sells.html
Hi geizer,

1. Windows CAN be copied and pasted within the same workspace. If you can't do that, please contact our customer support and they will show you how.
2. I'm not sure why you are so much bothered with either cascaded windows or a list of them in the Windows tab. If you don't want to have windows cascaded, don't have them cascaded. If you don't want to see a list of open chart windows, it doesn't mean that everybody thinks the same way.

geizer

Marina,

Just double checked again, and was able to copy/paste a window within the same workspace. It works.

Please accept my my sincere apologies for not thoroughly testing it.

Thank you,
Pavel

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 30 Jan 2009

No problem, Pavel

Return to “MultiCharts”