QuoteManager crashes with excessive use of memory

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
geizer

QuoteManager crashes with excessive use of memory

Postby geizer » 31 Jan 2009

Hello,

Curious if anyone else also experienced QuoteManager crash while trying to change the Data source for a large group of symbols (1,500...2,000)symbols. When QM given the task, it gradually eats up all the memory and crashes using 2G of RAM on the machine with 3G installed.
It crashed on me multiple times today every time with the same symptoms.

Regards,

Pavel

radekj

Postby radekj » 01 Feb 2009

Program under windows xp 32bit can maximal adress 2gb ram.

There is possibility to compile a progrm with special option so
it can adress 3gb ram but than you dont have left ram for operating-system
(windows xp 32bit can max adress 3gb ram).

MC is not compiled with this option.

ciao
radekj

PS: we need MC for windows 64 bit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

geizer

Postby geizer » 01 Feb 2009

radekj,

I see what you are saying.
The database is only 64Mb with symbols contain no data. How come QuoteManager crashes on a 2 Gb address boundary when changing single field for 2000 records? It's roughly ~30,000 times more memory than the object itself.

geizer

Postby geizer » 02 Feb 2009

Marina,

Please consider this:

I bought into an idea of Scanner with the lists of stocks in mind.
Back in April, I paid for software full price then, with discount promised when someone called me after I downloaded trial version (I never received the discount, btw).
So I purchased the software and let it sit on the shelf until recently.

I had the following thoughts: The software is promising, the guys move very rapidly with the development, they are promising great things in the Gold Release. So why not support the project and buy the thing? I should give it a try.

Perhaps I thought I need to give first, and then, I will receive. Right?
So I gave, i.e. I paid. I have been waiting since April of 2008.

Will I receive? I don't know.
The way things developing with this Gold version, I am starting to lose my sense of humor.
What is certain is that you want me to pay you again. Pay for anything that happens after the Gold release, including these items promised to be delivered in v 3.0
page 212 of Multicharts User's Guide 3.0
5.2 Operating Symbol List

Symbol List is a list of commonly used financial instruments. Modern-day investors need easy access to any of the trading vehicles.
QM has been developed based on those needs, the basic requirements being:

· The program must function with numbers of symbols in tens of thousands
· Rapid data access, which means powerful search, sorting, and selection capabilities
· Convenient adding and editing of data
· Simple data backup and restore
· Minimal setup and maintenance effort
So I would like you, Marina and all TS Solutions decision makers reading this forum to look back at what was promised:
· The program must function with numbers of symbols in tens of thousands
Program does not function with numbers of symbols in tens of thousands.
There is no way to rename the groups of symbols. Try to rename 5,000 Canadian stocks symbols (for example rename XYZ.P-VC to XYZ-P.V or to V.XYZ-P)
The only way to rename 5,000 symbols - do it by hand.
The is no way to export/import lists of symbols so user could export symbols, rename it in Excel, and re-import back.
· Rapid data access, which means powerful search, sorting, and selection capabilities
No remarks. works good. thank you
· Convenient adding and editing of data
Adding data - may be, but only if data provider supports the lists. If it does not - do thousands of symbols by hand. So I found a shortcut - downloaded the list from eSignal and changed the Data Source for a group of symbols alltogether - QuoteManager crashed on me. Eventually I did it in groups of smaller numbers of symbols (about 500... 1000)- took me 2 days to do just that. It worked with US stocks, but what about Canadian stocks - you can change the Data Source - but the symbols still need to be renamed. The same old recipe - do it by hand.

Editing data - exactly the opposite - very unconvenient, prohibitively slow, practically impossible. Try to rename each symbol by hand, or export/import data - one symbol at a time.
· Simple data backup and restore
Non existent.
· Minimal setup and maintenance effort
Are you kidding? Two days to fighting the QM bug, and just to change the data sourse for approx 20,000 stocks.
My estimate on renaming Canadian Symbols is it would take me anywhere between few weeks to couple of months, which is waste of time.
--------

I am sorry to tell you, but Multicharts is Not what it says it is. It's not about super multithreading and this and that. It's how we use it. The fact of the matter is Multicharts remains a loss on my account.
It's taking too much of my time.
I don't judge it by whether I make any profit on it, I judge it by time this software works for me vs the amount of time I spent setting it up and fight it.

To me, the scanner = symbol lists. I don't see anywhere near such functionality to work with symbol lists today, I wish I was wrong and you guys will manage to implement the major promised things in the Gold Release.
For now, I am Not willing to pay for any subsequent upgrades and add-ons. Look at it however you like.

I mean why would I pay for subsequent upgrades if promises are not delivered in the first place?
Just a simple market rule: Never add to a loosing position. Small loss becomes even greater loss.

Warm regards,
Pavel

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 02 Feb 2009

Hi Pavel,

From what I understand the problem that you're experiencing is that you are experienced by QuoteManager crashing when you try to rename thousands of symbols at once? The necessity of doing so, in its turn, being caused by the fact that your provider does not support symbol lists.

The bug that causes QuoteManager to crash when multiple symbols are edited will be fixed by release.

The existence of this bug, though, does not mean that the program cannot do what we said it did. When we said that "The program must function with numbers of symbols in tens of thousands" we were talking about a situation when you add thousands of symbols into QuoteManager. We have run respective tests and everything worked fine. Editing symbols is something else. QuoteManager has been created primarily for adding symbols and storing data.

We have now made it possible to copy and paste excel lists directly into Scanner. Once added to Scanner, those symbols will automatically be added into QuoteManager. There will be no need to edit thousands of symbols at a time. If you want, we can give you our internal version of MultiCharts that already has that feature implemented.

Finally, could you please specify who promised you the discount and how much it was? We always provide discounts when we promise to do so; therefore we would like to find out what exactly happened.

Thank you.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 02 Feb 2009

Program under windows xp 32bit can maximal adress 2gb ram.

PS: we need MC for windows 64 bit !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I second this motion wholeheartidly.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 02 Feb 2009

Hi guys,

The thing is that x32 systems allow 2gb of memory per process. MultiCharts is comprised of more than one process, so it will use over 2gb even under X32 systems.

We are going to make MC capable of using the x64 system potential. However, these are longer term plans.

Regards.

drwar

Postby drwar » 03 Feb 2009

"We have now made it possible to copy and paste excel lists directly into Scanner. Once added to Scanner, those symbols will automatically be added into QuoteManager. There will be no need to edit thousands of symbols at a time. If you want, we can give you our internal version of MultiCharts that already has that feature implemented."

Marina
I assume pasting excel lists is not currently available but in a coming release is this correct ?
Either way does this paste allow pasting the resolution for each symbol as well ?

thanks

J~

geizer

Postby geizer » 04 Feb 2009

Marina,

Finally, could you please specify who promised you the discount and how much it was? We always provide discounts when we promise to do so; therefore we would like to find out what exactly happened.
When I first installed a trial version I provided my info on your web site.
The guy I talked on the phone had East Indian accent. He offered $150 discount, "if I buy now". I am not sure now whether I called TSS or he called me. I even think now that was one of your resellers. Anyway two weeks later, when I was willing to purchase, I was searching for a better deal online, but could not find any. The old price had just expired and I hit into the brand new price for v3.0, just days after the promotion expired. The multicharts.net still advertised the old price online, but clicking on the link to purchase it would result in full price. Then I called 1-888 number and talked to Sergee. He was not aware of the discount, so I proceeded with the online purchase through Share-It.
The purchase price also included 5 hours of free programming at that time. I never confirmed it with TS Support ever since. Does it have an expiration day?
We have now made it possible to copy and paste excel lists directly into Scanner. Once added to Scanner, those symbols will automatically be added into QuoteManager. There will be no need to edit thousands of symbols at a time. If you want, we can give you our internal version of MultiCharts that already has that feature implemented.
This is very kind of you. Could you please send me the link to download? This would really help me.

Thank you for your support.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 05 Feb 2009

Hi geizer,

The discount that you were offered by our German customer support representative was only valid for that particular day. According to your own words,
He offered $150 discount, "if I buy now".
We sometimes make such offers to motivate traders buy the program right away. You were not promised that you could use this discount at any later date. Since you did not use the offer on that very day, you were not entitled to this discount later. So it is not quite clear what promised discount you never received.

As for prices on our website, we reserve the right to change them at our own discretion. They do not constitute any specific promise to you. Finally, www.multicharts.net is our resellers' website. Their pricing policies are independent of ours.

crazy_phil

Excel -> scanner

Postby crazy_phil » 17 Feb 2009

Dear Marina, I have seen this today

Coold you provide an exemple of doing this ??, I do not see anyway to paste in scanner

thank's
Philippe

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 17 Feb 2009

Dear Philippe,

The version of MutliCharts that will allow copying symbol lists into the scanner will be available in just a few days. This version has not been released yet.

Regards.

Return to “MultiCharts”