ETF's

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
york timothy

ETF's

Postby york timothy » 03 Feb 2009

What is your opinion of Horizon ETFs considering all the banks and other financial companies going bankrupt in the U.S.? The volume of the ETF's in Cda is pretty good and an area that I want to trade. My concern is what would happen if they went the way of Lehman etc. Thank you.

Tim

geizer

Postby geizer » 03 Feb 2009

Tim,
in my opinion, they are good to hold in an RRSP based on assumption that we're not allowed to short sell stocks/ETF's in RRSP (please correct me if I am wrong). There are some ETF's that go Up when the sector goes Down, and some that do exactly the opposite.
For example: http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=HBD. ... l&c=HBU.TO

HBD.TO (Horizons BetaPro COMEX Gold Bullion Bear Plus ETF) vs
HBU.TO (Horizons BetaPro COMEX Gold Bullion Bull Plus ETF)

Don't know how they do it. the trick is which ETF to hold and when. But if entire financial system collapses, it all doesn't matter.

PS: I have not traded ETF's, and don't hold an RRSP account.

- Pavel

york timothy

Postby york timothy » 03 Feb 2009

Thank you Pavel,
My trading account is my RRSP and I will be using it as such. I just don't want to be caught looking while politicians, bankers, government agencies and others of their ilk decide our financial future. I can take market loses because of poor judgment but I detest market interference by those people mentioned above. If anyone has seen a method of rating ETF's and or their sponsors regarding credit worthiness I would very much like to know about it. Thank you for any and all help.

Tim

Return to “MultiCharts”