Drawing tools attached to indicators

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
iso

Drawing tools attached to indicators

Postby iso » 11 Feb 2009

Hello,

For some reason when I use any of the drawing tools they are attached to the indicators on the chart instead of price. I set "bring to front" on price and make sure the price scale is set to the symbol instead of an indicator. Another thing that keeps happening is the price scale switched from the symbol to an indicator. Also as I am drawing on the chart indicators lose their scaling "same as symbol" to a "user defined" setting automatically.

I am using Beta 2 (Build 1781)

Thanks

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 11 Feb 2009

I had that happen once on MC 2.1.999.999. Only once. It corrected itself. I am not sure what I did. Maybe a restart.

TJ

Postby TJ » 11 Feb 2009

re: the symbol

set the visual order to back.

that becomes the base
everything attaches on top of that.
Last edited by TJ on 11 Feb 2009, edited 1 time in total.

iso

Postby iso » 11 Feb 2009

I need the symbol to be in front......

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 11 Feb 2009

two items:

Thanks TJ. I tested it and you are correct. I always wondered why lines snapping to the plots occured. I guess I didn't save the change and when I restarted MC it was set back so the symbol was at the back.

Somthing for the general help manual. I did a search on "snap" and there is nothing out there (not on my copy).

John.

Nick

Postby Nick » 18 Feb 2009

This is something that has annoyed the pants of me since they introduced plot ordering. every now and then I shoot them an email or post here about it. The problem is that anchoring always occurs to layer 'zero' rather than the 'ticked' layer. There are a couple of other places (that I can't recall) where the program assumes that the price data series will always be on layer zero. Not sure why it was never fixed when I reported it after originally testing layers.

Marina Pashkova

Re: Drawing tools attached to indicators

Postby Marina Pashkova » 19 Feb 2009

Hello,

For some reason when I use any of the drawing tools they are attached to the indicators on the chart instead of price. I set "bring to front" on price and make sure the price scale is set to the symbol instead of an indicator. Another thing that keeps happening is the price scale switched from the symbol to an indicator. Also as I am drawing on the chart indicators lose their scaling "same as symbol" to a "user defined" setting automatically.

I am using Beta 2 (Build 1781)

Thanks
Hi iso,

Drawings are snapped to whatever is placed at a zero level (closest to the background). Brining a data series to the front, forces drawings to be snapped to an indicator that now happens to be at level zero. This is how it is supposed to work.

As for indicators changing their scaling from 'same as symbol' to 'user defined', normally it happens only as a result of modifications of its price scale for example. If the setting changes as a result of simply applying drawings, please contact us for a remote connection session to demonstrate the problem to our engineers.

Nick

Re: Drawing tools attached to indicators

Postby Nick » 23 Feb 2009

Drawings are snapped to whatever is placed at a zero level (closest to the background). Brining a data series to the front, forces drawings to be snapped to an indicator that now happens to be at level zero. This is how it is supposed to work.
Then why have a 'ticked' layer? (right click in the right hand Y axis)? Please please change it so it snaps to the ticked layer. It is a sever limitation to functionality to say that you can order things how you like except the price data must always be on layer zero!! I am obviously not alone in thinking this :)

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 23 Feb 2009

Question?

What is the advantage to this. I don't have any problems with the current snap level. I don't use it that often but generally if I do use it I snap trend lines or projection tools to price when I do and I don't see any problem having price at the lowest level. Works for me. Having said that however, maybe the solution is in the defaults that I have been suggesting for two other characteristics for each tool. Here they are again with this criteria added as a 3rd characteristic.

1/ each tool has a default which the user can change to determine if it is attached to the chart or to the symbol. In other words during futures roll over does the tool remain on the chart with the new symbol or does it stay attached to the old futures contract and only return in the correct original position when that symbol is applied once again to that chart.

2/ each tool has a default which the user can change to determine if it should snap or not snap (if forces snap on or off when applied then sets it back to the generic default). Text typically will not be snapped. Trend lines typically will be snapped. It is really annoying to have to keep changing the snap each time. This would solve that problem.

3/ each tool has a default which the user can change to determine what level it should snap too. For me it is the lowest level which is price. However if for some reason I decide to put RSI on subchart #1 I might just want it to snap to RSI at level 3.

Note that #1 and #3 work together. The user may have the tool attached to the symbol but snapping to the RSI so they want that tool to come back if they return that chart to that symbol at a later time.

Lastly, As always, because speed is important to the day trader, a custom tool bar function is put in. Here is an example:
1/ the user could set up one button for trend lines to snap to price at the lower level,
2/ a second button for trend lines to snap to level 3 for the RSI example I just described
3/ a 3rd button for trend lines that do not extend left or right and that the user does not want to snap since they are not used as true trend lines and these are attached to the symbol
4/ a 4th example the user sets up a button for trend lines that do not snap and that they want attached to the chart so they remain on the chart when the futures roll over occurs.

I think this should cover it all if I am not wrong. Admittedly it could be a lot of programming to set it up properly this way.

John.

Return to “MultiCharts”