Help requested, please

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
york timothy

Help requested, please

Postby york timothy » 09 Feb 2009

Hello,
I have a Candle pattern Recognition study but need 1 final thing to complete it. I need to be able to click on any candle and have the study tell me what pattern it is. At the moment it will tell me what the current candle pattern is in real-time and works great. However, it is necessary at times to look back and having the ability to click on a candle so the study tells you the pattern is very convenient.
My AB study does this which is both necessary and convenient. Can this be done using Easylanguage and would someone please help me with this? Thank you for any and all help.

Kindest regards,

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 10 Feb 2009

This is an interesting request. I had requested that when the user highlights a bar and presses the left mouse button to bring up that info box that all this info be sent out to standard GVs for use in studies or other programs. I have requested that the user be able to check off what info they want sent out too. The only way around this now is to put an arrow above/below the bar and use the info you can get on this arrow from the commands available to a study to get this info. So a thorough read of the help on all the arrow commands might just be the solution.

To TTS. There is a need for a more interactive user interaction with MC. Having said that, I find the arrow solution even better in many ways. However you need a really fast machine to make it really fast. 16 cores maybe? The other thing is you need to leave the cross hair showing when you move the arrow so that user can move it to a new location perfectly the first time thus eliminating the need to double check.

york timothy

Postby york timothy » 10 Feb 2009

Yes, having it show within the rectangle with the other information would be fine. My setup in AB allows me to click on any candle and the candle pattern is obtained. This is very useful because the study identifies approx 40 different candle patterns and I would miss some of them without this help.
The study is complete except for this last feature which is very important and why I have requested help from the forum. There are some very gifted people on here and I'm hoping that someone will help complete this study. Thank you for any and all help.

Kindest regards,

bowlesj3

Hi Tim,

I do not use candles at all. I remember very little of what I read. If you had the open, high, low, close information for a selected bar (only one bar) in your study could you program the code to put out text on the chart that describes the candle type (or maybe have an alert pop up that shows a text that describes the candle type)?

John.

york timothy

Hi John,
Candle patterns don't work like that. There are multiple candles that make up one pattern although some patterns involve just 1 candle. The study defines each candle, I just need the candle pattern to appear when I click on the candle. The study shows the candle being formed in real time, I need the historical pattern as well. If AB can do it, I certainly can't see why MC can't do it as well. Perhaps someone who is very knowledgeable with Easylanguage would take a look at it and see if it can be done, I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you.
Kindest regards,

bowlesj3

Hi Tim,

I think you are out of luck on this one. You would have to find the program code in AB that is processing the group of candle bars to give you the candle pattern then you will have to concert it to EL. Maybe there is a theory on the processing somewhere and you could write it fresh. Lots of hard work unfortunately (or for some fortunately).

John.

york timothy

I hope that isn't the case and it can be made to work. For those using candles it is a very helpful addition or at least it is to me. I have 1 of the 2 studies completed from AB and now I just need to get this one working. I use them for my entry set-up which is why they are important. If anyone should be able to get this working I would be happy to share my entry set-up with them.

best regards,

Tim

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 17 Feb 2009

Hi Tim,

I just did a scan through the functions listed in the MC EL Editor. I noticed that there are a lot relating to candle sticks (doji, hangman, etc). If you have not scanned every function yet it might be worth doing that. I do this every so often just incase I miss something that could be of use or maybe something did not seem that useful during prior scans but with increased knowledge I now realize I can use it.

One tip I caught on to after a while. When you are in the editor and press Ctrl+O for open you can press the letter d to go directly to functions starting with D (obviously any letter). You will use this a lot to get back to where you left off more quickly.

John.

york timothy

Postby york timothy » 17 Feb 2009

Hi John,
Thanks for the tip about the editor, that will be helpful. I might have found the solution to my problem about the candles. A chap emailed me regarding it and I sent it to a friend who has been most helpful asking if he would take a look at it for me. I do hope it works. Thanks again John.

Best regards,

Return to “MultiCharts”