Sync of databases

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
vienna

Sync of databases

Postby vienna » 17 Feb 2009

Hi,

since the long term databases seem easy to corrupt, I do not want to transfer/ update them from one computer to another. Perhaps a naive question: is there a way of using a program such as Dropbox to automatically sync them (I use that program to keep other files on 2 computers updated)?

Thanks.

Marina Pashkova

Postby Marina Pashkova » 24 Feb 2009

Hi vienna,

May I ask you why you think that large databases can be easily corrupted?

Thank you for clarifications.

vienna

Postby vienna » 24 Feb 2009

Hi vienna,

May I ask you why you think that large databases can be easily corrupted?

Thank you for clarifications.
:-)

Please....I have now had long and varied experiences with databases and Multicharts.... that seems to be the one achilles heel of the program. Are you saying no such problems exist? I find that the data are easily corruptible, If you do something wrong, they get easily messed up. And it seems that only after you do something wrong you find out that- for example_ "didnt you know that you had to wait for tsserver to quit before shutting down your computer etc, etc.).

I had data holes in many charts etc.. and just don't want to deal with it. Once you have them, your charts are shot and you have to get data fresh from someone who does not have the problem. This can be a major pain since I watch over 1000 markets by now, with data going back for a year. Since this seems to be a trial and error king of thing, I asked the question in order not to be told AFTER the data were messed up that I was not supposed to to sync them.
I have 2 computers. One at home and one at a workplace. I like to scan through symbols at night, and then do my entries in the morning on the other computer. So I used to do my research on one computer, keep an updated database on that computer, and just copy the workspaces with the selected setups to the other computer in the morning. But then I was told by a programmer that I could corrupt the database that way (by copying workspaces from one computer to the other). It seems that these warnings always come from expert users, never from the Multicharts guys.....I just don't want to create any risk of incurring some corruption.

So, can you answer my question? Could I put a "dropbox" folder on the desktop (which gets automatically synced as soon as you are online), have the database folder inside, and somehow instruct MC to get the data from there?
Perhaps this can't be done because MC needs to have the databases folder in another location.

Return to “MultiCharts”