Can the latest MC be run completely without the internet?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

Can the latest MC be run completely without the internet?

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Feb 2009

I gather MC at some point was set up to require an internet connection to run. Is this correct or can the latest MC be run completely without the internet to view chart as MC 2.1.999.999 can? If it can not be run without the internet then MC's value drops way way down for me (almost to zero in value and so much so that I would start bugging other programmable chart program suppliers on a regular basis for the recalculate command so I could switch away from MC).

Thanks,
John.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 26 Feb 2009

I totally suport you views, one should be able to use MC for atleast say 30 days without internet connection.

bowlesj3

Although it is probably somewhat tricky to program (logic wise) I feel that TSS can protect themselves with a separate security program that tracks what is running against the number of licensed copies the user has purchased and sets time limits for each offline use that totally matches what MC 2.1.999.999 can do. I posted on this earlier. Also I bet there is no MC/TS user out there sophisticated enough to hack it either.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 26 Feb 2009

Guys,

MC can run for 30 days without internet connection since version 4.something

Regards

bowlesj3

MC can run for 30 days without internet connection since version 4.something
Hi Tresor,

So am I correct in assuming that if you get hooked up to the internet once a day on weekdays this 30 days is extended each time.

Thanks,
John.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 26 Feb 2009

You are correct. This is also my understanding, although I never tested this for more than 10 days - this is max period when I was off-line.

Regards

bowlesj3

Don't quote me on this but my best guess is that the program is recording the usage in a log somewhere (one record per hour maybe with the User-ID/date/time/). MC detects if more than 30 days of log records have been written offline and stops if exceeded. Then at the end of the 30 days the user is forced back online and at that time TSS can detect if two copies were being run at the same time by doing an auto matching records run on the run times from each computer. If the same ID appears during any one date/time then the agreement is being broken. Once the online connection and okay is given the log records are flagged if okay and effectively cleared for another 30 days.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 27 Feb 2009, edited 1 time in total.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 27 Feb 2009

For the programmers out there who have not tried this here is a fun little challenge you might want to try. Also it will give the other users a deeper appreciation for the fact that they shouldn’t break the MC license.

Related to the above post, in school one typically learns a 2 file match routine. At work I had to write a 3 file version. At that time, for fun, I decided to see if I could write an infinite file version in a loop and yes it is possible (up to the size of the file counter value used in the log file name). So what this means is no matter how many machines the user installs MC on, TTS should be able to detect these instances and find duplicate use beyond the license on any combination of machines at the time when they are forced to log in to the TSS servers.

Return to “MultiCharts”