Please post the most important issues here

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Andrew Kirillov

Please post the most important issues here

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 12 Mar 2009

Please post the most important issues here. It will help us to focus on most critical issues first.
Thank you.
Last edited by Andrew Kirillov on 16 Apr 2009, edited 1 time in total.

2haerim

I have reported the following bugs

Postby 2haerim » 12 Mar 2009

There should be a way of bug tracking. We report many bugs and issues but they are not mananged in a systematic way. So please set an efficient bug tracking system.

Recently, I've reported the following bugs and issues but some of them not answered or confirmed yet. And some of them might have been fixed, but not sure. Please QA team check each issue before release Beta 5.

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6132
confirmed
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6125
confirmed
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6124
confirmed
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6123
confirmed
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6111
Not confirmed
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6096
it is not a bug
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6088
confirmed
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6082
confirmed
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6080
confirmed
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6044
confirmed
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6032
Not confirmed
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=5816
confirmed
I've downloaded Beta 5 and would like to know which confirmed bugs are fixed and which are not.

Please mark which ones are fixed in Beta 5.

One but that is not fixed yet is Dynamic array bounds bug. The message is "Array bounds. Wrong index value: 101."
Last edited by 2haerim on 31 Mar 2009, edited 2 times in total.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 12 Mar 2009

We are working on it and it will be available in the upcoming betas.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 12 Mar 2009

Open Interest study does not plot the correct values. My data feed is Transact.

Regards
It plots no value for Transact because:
1. Transact doesn't provide daily bars. We construct it from minutes.
2. Typically OI is provided in daily data structure.
Thus we can't get it and it is impossible to fix it on our side.

dupl

chart will not be drawn

Postby dupl » 12 Mar 2009

Chart will not be drawn drawn, if the chart has several symbols/data sources and one of them has not data in the chosen period. :cry:
This happen, e.g. if I chart BID-ASK and Trade data in one chart, but sometimes the Trade data source has no data in that period because its illiquid security. But of course I want see all the other data as chart. :wink:
I see it as a minor issue. You should set more days back to overlap days when data exists.
I don't consider it as a bug.

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 12 Mar 2009

My biggest annoyance is loading MC and the charts backfill, instead of loading from the quotemanager. (I understand it will be fixed in beta5)
That causes many studies to be shut off.
V5 beta2.
It has been fixed and will be available in the next beta.

geizer

Postby geizer » 12 Mar 2009

1. Inability to import/export description filed when dealing with lists of stocks.
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6100
That is not bug. We are talking about bugs here. See more
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6100
2. Pacing violation with IB data feed. Multicharts should maintain the number of data requests sent to IB
within allowed limits to protect a user from data feed interruption when the user sends too many requests.
Pavel , you misunderstand the meaning of the pacing violation. Pacing violation occurs when you reach limited number of requests for the certain time.
It is not a penalty. It is just limit. If we control number of requests to avoid the pacing violation we just receive less data for a given time. It doesn’t make sense.
So it is a normal situation to see this message if you download lots of data.

3. Incorrect scaling of the study in sub-chart#1 when it based on data series in sub-chart #2 and vise versa.
Fixed. Will be available the next beta.
Last edited by geizer on 13 Mar 2009, edited 1 time in total.

dupl

Postby dupl » 13 Mar 2009

The PC/Windows is freezing complete while backfilling.... from IB
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=25184#25184
This thread has a test workspace to to simulate.
We've reproduced the issue. It will be fixed soon. It is not a dead lock, but CPU overload.

You should increase bar spacing and change dots to other chart styles as temporary measure.
Thank you for the bug report.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 13 Mar 2009

Andrew,

Are you replying inside of the senders original post?
Kinda confusing without a sig. It looks like poster is talking to himself.

Thanks

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 13 Mar 2009

Yes, sorry.
I just don't want to make a mess of comments here.

2haerim

Chart sometimes trembling while receiving realtime data?

Postby 2haerim » 13 Mar 2009

Soemtimes I experience charts are trembling while receiving realtime data.

This bug seems not easily reproducible, I think.

Has there been any similar reports?

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 13 Mar 2009

There should be a way of bug tracking. We report many bugs and issues but they are not mananged in a systematic way. So please set an efficient bug tracking system.
+1 on this. See my prior post on it. three in total now as far as I know.

jek

Postby jek » 14 Mar 2009

If you move a workspace to your second computer and it doesn't have the new whizbang indicator you were working on, it will be silently deleted from the workspace.

Ideally, it should be just turned off.

Second place is to at least notify you in some way that it got deleted (preferably not a modal pop up but something like when not enough bars).

jek

Postby jek » 14 Mar 2009

I have a DLL that works with both MultiCharts and TS.

I get an error dialog that says that MC can't find the DLL if I do the following:
* Start MC and open a workspace that uses the DLL in an indicator.
* Close the workspace but don't close MC.
* Reopen the workspace and observe the dialog.
* Notice that you can no longer use any indicators that use the DLL until you close all workspaces in that instance of MC whether or not they use the DLL and shut down that instance of MC.

This can really mess up your workflow if you do this accidentally.

Anyone who trades knows that having to close everything and reopen it is a big disruption.

This doesn't happen in TS.

I have a workaround which is to create a trivial workspace that consumes as little resources as possible called "PinDLLsInMemory".

Open a copy of this workspace in each instance of MC.

Never close this workspace until ready to close all MC instances.

But be careful never to forget it or get caught in the trap...

drwar

Postby drwar » 17 Mar 2009

[quote]If you move a workspace to your second computer and it doesn't have the new whizbang indicator you were working on, it will be silently deleted from the workspace.

Ideally, it should be just turned off.

Second place is to at least notify you in some way that it got deleted (preferably not a modal pop up but something like when not enough bars).[/quote]

Its not permanently deleted until you save the workspace.
Close the workspace without saving.
Import the indicator.
RE-Open the workspace and it will be there.

J~

drwar

Postby drwar » 17 Mar 2009

[quote]I have a DLL that works with both MultiCharts and TS.

I get an error dialog that says that MC can't find the DLL if I do the following:
* Notice that you can no longer use any indicators that use the DLL until you close all workspaces in that instance of MC whether or not they use the DLL and shut down that instance of MC.

[/quote]

I do this all the time with dll's and have never seen this problem.

J~

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 17 Mar 2009

This can really mess up your workflow if you do this accidentally.

Anyone who trades knows that having to close everything and reopen it is a big disruption.

This doesn't happen in TS.

I have a workaround which is to create a trivial workspace that consumes as little resources as possible called "PinDLLsInMemory".

Open a copy of this workspace in each instance of MC.

Never close this workspace until ready to close all MC instances.

But be careful never to forget it or get caught in the trap...
This is not a bug. You should use exact path to the DLL. You have two options: either put the DLL in MC dir and just indicate the dll name or put it in any place you want and indicate a full path.

geizer

Postby geizer » 17 Mar 2009

MC v5 beta 4:

- skipping data on minute bars. Data provider: IQFeed.
- stops updating Real time data with IQFeed.
Could you provide some screenshots for illustration purposes?
Andrew

brendanh

Postby brendanh » 18 Mar 2009

Automation places stop-entries twice when using TS8 data and IB broker on forex.
It is not confirmed. I've asked you to provide information required for the test case. http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6173
Are you going to help us in the investigation?
Andrew

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 18 Mar 2009

Release 2.1.999.999

For whatever reason the charts have been moving more than they use too (small shifts away from the location I Place them at the edges of the workspace). I often have to move them back to where I want them. It becomes time consuming. Some future MC release should have the ability to lock them so they just will not move from where the trader has placed them.

From a TSS perspective this is a flaw that gets rubbed into the traders mind day in and day out (for me it has been somewhat frequently each day lately). I am not the only one that has mentioned it. Maybe it should become a high priority for this very reason.

One might be tempted to tell me this is fixed in MC 5.?. However without a proper bug reporting system how do I know that the MC 3.1 beta problem which was causing about 30 aborts every day has been fixed? Upgrading and dropping back a release is a fairly big project for those who use a controlling program to control their charting software and broker software. I need some proof of a fix before I will risk it.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 18 Mar 2009, edited 1 time in total.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 18 Mar 2009

We are thinking about implementing a bug tracking system. As soon as we release a gold version we will work on it.
Could you illustrate the moving windows with before and after screenshots? In this case I will be able to see if the issue is fixed.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 18 Mar 2009

Hi Andrew, I will work on the screen shots tonight and send an email to Marina I guess. I can describe it though and how it seems to occur. It occurs two ways.

#1/ When I start MC it shifts them up a bit and to the left a bit every time. About 1/16th of an inch. No program is issuing keystrokes to MC at this time.

#2/ When it is occuring during the day it is happening because I do not have enough screen space to show 3 of my charts at the exact time I want to enter a trade so the database program issues keystrokes very quickly to position them for me. There are several variations on this. Currently I am not sure which one does it actually since it does not happen every time and I notice it after the fact it seems. All they are doing is using the "Alt+W #" sequence to select 3 charts in order so I can see what I want (one of the variations squeezes the bars so I can see a few more hours farther back in time, the other variation resets the bar spacing). For some reason this process has started to move the charts like #1 above. I don't remember it doing it before. This seems to move them about 1/8th when it does it. Again, it does not do it every time I issue these commands to MC. It may also be that it is occuring when I manually change the positions of these chart windows too (not the position but the highlighted order of them). It seems that I am so interested in something on the chart at that time that I do not notice the shift in the chart's location until later.

By the way, #2 would be a good feature for MC. Lots of traders do not have enough screen space. I am lucky to have something to work around it.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 19 Mar 2009

1) Session template sorting issue reported here http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4490
It is not possible to create a session template beginning on a Sunday night session. Or alternatively just update the CBOT: Agricultural Futures (Electronic) template to reflect that they also trade during pit hours.

2) IQfeed backfill issues. I haven't been able to try the beta 3 (or later) yet, the release notes say:

Speed of plotting data from IQFeed has been improved
Due to changes in the request algorithm, data from IQFeed will be received and plotted considerably faster. For example, 1 week of tick data will be plotted 2 times faster. For example, 1 week of tick data will be plotted 2 times faster.

So this may have been fixed already.
My observations compared to using IQfeed on other platforms or to using the IB feed on Multicharts are that MC will request historical backfill for data it already has (eg a 30 min chart for a symbol is open then you open 15 min chart of the same symbol and you get the "Waiting data" in the status line, where with IB the new chart is instant. Also if for some reason the backfill doesn't come from IQfeed then all further data requests will not happen and you have to restart MC, there does not appear to be a timeout where the data request is is aborted and the next one tried.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 19 Mar 2009

Geoff,
1) Session template sorting issue reported here http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=4490
It is not possible to create a session template beginning on a Sunday night session.
We will remove sorting that disturb you when you are trying to add sessions.
Or alternatively just update the CBOT: Agricultural Futures (Electronic) template to reflect that they also trade during pit hours.
We are reluctant to do it since majority of existing users will not use a new database. So it will work for new users only.

2)
My observations compared to using IQfeed on other platforms or to using the IB feed on MultiCharts are that MC will request historical backfill for data it already has (eg a 30 min chart for a symbol is open then you open 15 min chart of the same symbol and you get the "Waiting data" in the status line, where with IB the new chart is instant.
I’m using beta 4 and if I have 2 minute chart and request 1 minute chart, it is takes 1 second to plot it – the data is in the memory. It will be flushed to the storage on shutdown.
Keep in mind that if you have 1 minute 500 bars back and open 2 minute 500 bars back, it will take a while to download missing 500 minutes.
Also if for some reason the backfill doesn't come from IQfeed then all further data requests will not happen and you have to restart MC, there does not appear to be a timeout where the data request is is aborted and the next one tried.
It is interesting. Do you have exact steps to reproduce it?
P.S. Are you still unhappy customer or starting to feel better about MC :) I’m trying to do my best to change your mind!

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 19 Mar 2009

We will remove sorting that disturb you when you are trying to add sessions.
Thank you very much, it's been some time.
We are reluctant to do it since majority of existing users will not use a new database. So it will work for new users only.
If I can amend them myself then it's not necessary
I’m using beta 4 and if I have 2 minute chart and request 1 minute chart, it is takes 1 second to plot it – the data is in the memory. It will be flushed to the storage on shutdown.
Keep in mind that if you have 1 minute 500 bars back and open 2 minute 500 bars back, it will take a while to download missing 500 minutes.
I just changed the resolution on a 10 min @ESM9 that has been open all day to 5min. It took 58 seconds. The amount of time seems to be related to how busy the symbol is (that is quicker when the market is quiet overnight and very slow during busy times).

It is interesting. Do you have exact steps to reproduce it?
Unfortunately difficult as it requires IQfeed not to respond which I cannot recreate. However it happens most often again in a busy market when I have a workspace with many symbols. So for example opening a workspace with 4 charts different resolutions and a scanner with about 30 symbols.

P.S. Are you still unhappy customer or starting to feel better about MC :) I’m trying to do my best to change your mind!
Still unhappy about the way you responded to what was meant to be constructive dialogue (I still think you are going the wrong way about it).
Last edited by Geoff on 19 Mar 2009, edited 1 time in total.

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 19 Mar 2009

I tried V5 beta4 for a day(went back to V5.2) and noticed that the hard drive is constantly being accessed. I don't notice that on other versions, has something changed in beta 4, that requires constant hard drive access ?

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 19 Mar 2009

To Andrew again,

Regarding my prior entry copied below
#2/ When it is occuring during the day it is happening because I do not have enough screen space to show 3 of my charts at the exact time I want to enter a trade so the database program issues keystrokes very quickly to position them for me. There are several variations on this. Currently I am not sure which one does it actually since it does not happen every time and I notice it after the fact it seems. All they are doing is using the "Alt+W #" sequence to select 3 charts in order so I can see what I want (one of the variations squeezes the bars so I can see a few more hours farther back in time, the other variation resets the bar spacing). For some reason this process has started to move the charts like #1 above. I don't remember it doing it before. This seems to move them about 1/8th when it does it. Again, it does not do it every time I issue these commands to MC. It may also be that it is occuring when I manually change the positions of these chart windows too (not the position but the highlighted order of them). It seems that I am so interested in something on the chart at that time that I do not notice the shift in the chart's location until later.
It seems that this occurs when one of the charts is full size (maximized to the workspace). So if you want to reproduce this, write a key stroke send program, and play around with this type of thing. Create a lot of charts (like the ones I send Marina in the email) none of which are full size then run the program to create the same chart highlight sequence with one of the charts full size (maximized) rather than the normal size. I will email the key stroke program routine.

Thanks,
John.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 20 Mar 2009

I just changed the resolution on a 10 min @ESM9 that has been open all day to 5min. It took 58 seconds. The amount of time seems to be related to how busy the symbol is (that is quicker when the market is quiet overnight and very slow during busy times).
The time of a day shouldn’t be a reason. What you see is definitely unacceptable. Could you post your workspace or send us privately? We will test it extensively to reproduce your issue. I believe it is some specific issue.

Unfortunately difficult as it requires IQfeed not to respond which I cannot recreate. However it happens most often again in a busy market when I have a workspace with many symbols. So for example opening a workspace with 4 charts different resolutions and a scanner with about 30 symbols.
Again just give us the workspaces and tell approximate things we need to do. For instance how log MC should be running, what to change and so on. Our QA guys will work on it and we will write back.
Still unhappy about the way you responded to what was meant to be constructive dialogue (I still think you are going the wrong way about it).
Do you think it was constrictive? You offered to remove a security feature that has been developed for a month or so. The most important thing is that you consider it as not reliable a priory.
We do value your interests, but we can’t compromise ourselves.
Thank you.

bowlesj3

I think it is the speed.

Postby bowlesj3 » 20 Mar 2009

Hi Andrew,

I may have stumbled upon what is common between 1/ the chart windows shifting a bit upon the open of MC and 2/ the chart windows shifting when keystrokes change the highlight order when they are maximized.

It may be the fact that it is being done very quickly. MC opens the windows quickly. The sendkeys changes the windows quickly and when they are full size they also cover two monitors. I tried manually maximizing and resetting these windows and there is no shift at all but doing it this way is very slow and maybe that is the difference.

Hope that helps,
John.

jek

Postby jek » 20 Mar 2009

If you move a workspace to your second computer and it doesn't have the new whizbang indicator you were working on, it will be silently deleted from the workspace....
Its not permanently deleted until you save the workspace.
Close the workspace without saving.
Import the indicator.
RE-Open the workspace and it will be there.
Yes, the problem is that because I don't get any notice that they were deleted, it it easy to not notice that one out of 3 or 4 indicators is missing and I save the workspace losing the customizations. That is why I would like to know that it got deleted.

I was using unison to synchronize/copy workspaces resulting in losses but my workaround is to use subversion so that I can revert if needed. It is nice that the files are XML so that versioning works acceptably.

jek

Postby jek » 20 Mar 2009

I do this all the time with dll's and have never seen this problem.
It is probably because several related DLLs are involved. I suspect that there is something different in the way that MC loads/unloads the DLLs as compared to TS. But it does work in TS.

Clearly I need to isolate a test case that is as minimal as possible. That will take some time though.

jek

Postby jek » 20 Mar 2009

This is not a bug. You should use exact path to the DLL. You have two options: either put the DLL in MC dir and just indicate the dll name or put it in any place you want and indicate a full path.
Why do you assume I don't use the full path name?

I use both a full path name and I put it on the exec path in the environment string for %PATH%.

I think it should be considered a bug since TS has no problem opening and closing a workspace using the identical EasyLanguage code. And MC has no problem opening and using that same EasyLanguage code and even opening and closing that workspace so long as at least one workspace continues to reference the DLL without being closed.

As mentioned in a separate post, I think it may be a result of the DLL using other DLLs and somehow MC controls the lifetime or loading of them differently from how TS does it. I need to shrink the example into a smaller test case. Right now it is too big to submit.

arnie

Postby arnie » 21 Mar 2009

Hi.

Is it possible to stop the authorized sign to blink?

It's a bit distracting to have that blinking all the time.

Regards.
Fernando

RobotMan

"most important issues" ;)

Postby RobotMan » 21 Mar 2009

Is it possible to stop the authorized sign to blink?
Hi Arnie,

If this "most important issue" is getting in the way of profitable trading; see attached.
Attachments
Blinking Authorized.jpg
(29.44 KiB) Downloaded 5275 times

arnie

Re: "most important issues" ;)

Postby arnie » 22 Mar 2009

If this "most important issue" is getting in the way of profitable trading; see attached.
Well, OK, maybe this can't be considered a "most important issue" but it is an annoying one.

Yes, removing the status bar resolves the problem but the status bars is there to give important information, being one of them the status of the connection and the other one, the clock.

Our eyes need to be concentrated in the bars and signals not that green blinking area. It's a distraction. Our eyes, even if we try not to, are atracted to it.

Fernando

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 22 Mar 2009

I can't resist asking. Why is this thing blinking? Why is it even there?

There are better uses for that space. For example, indicators of delays in the data checking exchange time stamp for example against the PC time to determine how long the data is taking to arrive. The user could set various ways to be notified. Blink, beep, popup, sound. If they see the ticks are taking 2 minutes to arrive I think they will likely want to stop trading until that gets resolved. In Qcharts the delays could be a few minutes so the chart did not match the execution software.

Maybe another use would be an icon taking the user to a TSS web page with useful educatonal and software sites. Ping plotter is a program that could be mentioned since the user can use that to determine what server is causing them a problem in getting their data. I determined I had a problem with my service provider using this program and I called them and told them I used this program and they got right on it and fixed it fast.

These are much better uses of this space. Blinking rubs in the idea that TSS is checking up on the user. What if the user is honest. Better to hide the constant checks and maybe better to only check every 5 minutes rather than every 2 seconds. How many users can get a backtest in with only 5 minutes use. They are going to want to run for hours and interuptions every 5 minutes or even every 15 would make it not worth their while. Gee for live trading it needs to be even less. Every 30 minutes. Can you imagine trying to live trade and the software shuts down every 30 minutes because it is running illegally. No trader will trade with that restriction. Gee I get upset if MC aborts more than once a day (which is normally does not but it does at times.).

John.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 22 Mar 2009, edited 10 times in total.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 22 Mar 2009

Hi John,

NT has the exact same set-up - a little green box in the status bar that makes a sound when first connected to a feed and when the connection is lost it turns red and a voice comes on announcing "Connection Lost". It has never bothered me, but I suspect most traders using NT have the Control Center window minimized and so don't see it, but rather "hear" it.

On the other hand eSignal Data Manager starts up miinimized and has a little icon that sits in the taskbar (lower right) that makes no sound and turns green when connected and red when disconnected. Sometimes I miss when it turns red, but NT's audible warning helps. I, too, use an audible warning in PingPlotter.

I think a little green dot that turns red and has a yellow helper window pop up when you mouse over it might be a final solution. Maybe an option to toggle an audible warning might be good also.

What would be cool is if a pop-up of a metal Terminator head pops up in the middle of your screen and says, "YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED" in some kind of deep metallic voice that scares the hell out of you.
-- I would pay money for that.
Attachments
TerminatorHead.jpg
(22.46 KiB) Downloaded 5260 times

bowlesj3

Hi Bob,
What would be cool is if a pop-up of a metal Terminator head pops up in the middle of your screen and says, "YOU ARE NOT AUTHORIZED" in some kind of deep metallic voice that scares the hell out of you.
-- I would pay money for that.
That's funny.

Even better would be the exorcist head :evil: that spins around a few times after it pops up then does a bobble head :roll: and says "Just kidding :wink: "

Trying very hard to get serious again, I still think MC checking every few seconds is not good and if they are doing it that often they should not advertise this with a blink. On the other hand if a second illegal copy is being run and one of the two is going to be shut down a warning should be given so the trader can get out of their trade.

John.
Last edited by bowlesj3 on 22 Mar 2009, edited 3 times in total.

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 22 Mar 2009

In Beta, maybe the best way to keep track of the ongoing DRM project is with a green status button. It's clunky, but it's like a debugging tool or the output bar in PLE, or a print statement in code that you will later take out when it works right.

Maybe the best final answer is nothing.
When the program is running and authorized, you don't see anything in the status bar.
Then, if there is a problem, the orangy-red "not-authorized" indicator comes up in the status bar.

If the status bar area needs to stay a "button" like it is now, just keep it the same color as the rest of the status bar when "authorized".

I don't think TSS is going to back off of DRM. A cracked copy of just about any of their software goes for a hundred bucks. So this is a real problem.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 22 Mar 2009

I don't think TSS is going to back off of DRM. A cracked copy of just about any of their software goes for a hundred bucks. So this is a real problem.
Unfortunately you're right that they will not back off. Lets just hope they can implement in a way that does not distract you with annoying flashes of colour and even more importantly doesn't disconnect legitimate copies that are only used on one computer.

bowlesj3

When the program is running and authorized, you don't see anything in the status bar.
Then, if there is a problem, the orangy-red "not-authorized" indicator comes up in the status bar.
Sounds good.

Qcharts has the same system I think. However they do not have a blink. What they do is simply shut down the first copy of Qcharts if the system detects the user logged in again on a different machine. This way the user is not notified unless they log in to another machine. In effect it saves the user work. How often Qcharts checks is not advertized which is smart on their part and saves the screen for features the trader is interested in. The trader does not want to know the software is constantly checking up on them.

I do not think that MC should be prevented from running if the TSS servers are not up and running. This is a huge mistake I feel. What if they have a fire or who knows what. If this happened and all their users could not work for a week that could ruin TSS not to mention the users. If they want to protect themselves they keep the servers running (No servers no checks and the honest users do not get punished for the TSS server down flaw or internet transmission problems from TSS). They should publish this fact so as not to scare off new users. In addition to this if there is no constant blink letting the users know they are being checked up on then the users who want to break the agreement will not be notified of when the TSS servers are down and unable to check up on them. So once again the best thing is to run the checks silently without any notice until a violation is detected. Give some warning that can not be missed (a popup notifying of a shut down in 5 minutes). Maybe a count down of voiloations could be included which clearly indicates when the user will be completely cut off from using MC. A fully automatic process that does not need to distract the TSS team due to violations.

To summarize (and after having given it more thought through the day):
Hiding the security checks avoids telling the honest user they are being checked up on. Hiding the checks avoids telling the dishonest user they are not being checked up on when the servers are down. The popups only appear when they are truly needed. The only one to suffer if the servers go down (or the checks can not be done for any reason) are TSS. 100% of screen space is dedicated to the trader. I think this approach will provide the largest benefit to TSS.

John.

Andrew Kirillov

Re: "most important issues" ;)

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 23 Mar 2009

Well, OK, maybe this can't be considered a "most important issue" but it is an annoying one.

Yes, removing the status bar resolves the problem but the status bars is there to give important information, being one of them the status of the connection and the other one, the clock.

Our eyes need to be concentrated in the bars and signals not that green blinking area. It's a distraction. Our eyes, even if we try not to, are atracted to it.

Fernando
We've fixed it. It will be available in the next beta. Thank you for the issue report.

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 23 Mar 2009

I installed beta4 over the weekend and noticed that the hard drive is being constantly accessed. It seems that every tick is being written to the hard drive, rather than being held in memory, then dumped to the drive every few minutes, as in previous versions.
Is this the new normal or a bug ? I much prefer the way it was before.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 23 Mar 2009

Hi Andrew,

Regarding your response below to Fernando's request above,
We've fixed it. It will be available in the next beta. Thank you for the issue report.
That sounds good and thanks.

However the big question I think many may be wondering is "Does MC keep running if the TSS security servers are temporarily down for a week due to a fire or something like that?" Of note: I asked a similar question before but it was different. That one was "Will MC run off-line?" and the answer I got was "Yes for 30 days". This time it is "Will MC run normally while it is online getting a data feed while at the same time the TSS support server is temporarily down (of course unknown to the user since the next beta will have that blinking field completely removed as you stated above)?".

Thanks,
John

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 24 Mar 2009

Upon thinking about my above post, maybe it is easy for dishonest users of MC to determine the TSS server is not working. I don't know much about (networking, ip addresses and the like) and (zero about hacking) but I do know you can use "taskInfo" to find an IP address and PingPlotter can alarm if the connection to this address is not working. Too bad. It leaves other honest users at risk of the TSS server going down. There must be a better way that does not require a constant connection to TSS (an intranet hack free software solution).

IMO, because it is not the user's fault, the proper solution is to treat the TSS servers being down the same as MC being offline (30 days of running). So the question still remains exactly the same as in my prior post even if PingPlotter can alarm the disconnect.

2haerim

Fake signal problem

Postby 2haerim » 25 Mar 2009

From time to time, fake signals are plotted on the chart. In such case, when you close the chart and reopen, the fake signal is gone. Or the reverse. A real signal did not appear realtime but later it shows up.

No one ever experience similar issues?

I suspect this is related to the CPU load when many ticks are flooding in.

Or it could be a bug that can be fixed.

Please post if anyone experience such fake signal problems.

SUPER

Re: Fake signal problem

Postby SUPER » 25 Mar 2009

From time to time, fake signals are plotted on the chart. In such case, when you close the chart and reopen, the fake signal is gone. Or the reverse. A real signal did not appear realtime but later it shows up.

2Haerim,

On live feed your bars are built on tick by tick data and signals are generated based on them, when you reload chart only open, high , low , close values are available and so signals are based on these values. When we have Look-Inside bar resolution up to tick level signal will look similar.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 25 Mar 2009

John,
I haven’t stated that we will remove the authorization indicator. We will simply fix it is blinking defect.
Yes, MC will work real-time even if 2 of 3 servers are down. All these servers are physically located in different places, we connect to them using dns or ip addresses.

Andrew Kirillov

Re: Fake signal problem

Haerim,
Super is right. If you compare auto trading results and Backtesting it will be different.
As soon as tick by tick backtesting feature will be added and you select advanced backtesing mode based on bids/asks you should get identical or close to identical results.

Andrew Kirillov

I installed beta4 over the weekend and noticed that the hard drive is being constantly accessed. It seems that every tick is being written to the hard drive, rather than being held in memory, then dumped to the drive every few minutes, as in previous versions.
Is this the new normal or a bug ? I much prefer the way it was before.
Please see
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6190

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 25 Mar 2009

I am not sure I have stated the fake signal issue correctly, but what I pointed was not about the difference between backtesting results and realtime results. I was talking about fake signals generated in realtime, but gone away when the chart is closed and reopen. For example, I had a signal at 9:30 am, but later after market hours, I suspected the signal and closed the chart and just reopened it. Then the signal at 9:30 am is gone!

I guess this happens when lots of ticks come in near the closing instant of a bar and some of those ticks were not processed timely if the CPU usage somehow was 100% at that moment. Later when I reopen the chart those unprocessed realtime ticks are just saved in QM and all of them loaded one by one and processed without missing. This can happen in more probability when multi-data series are used.

I am not sure this fake signal problem inherently exists in any realtime charting software, but I experiened this much frequently when using TS2ki.

Surely MC generates fake signals much less than TS2ki. But I realized that it is not 0% even though it is quite rare.

To reduce the probability of fake signals, I used to using a few technicques such as merging unnecessary ticks, loading less charts by spreading them in multiple pcs, using time of data1 = time of data2 checking and so on.

I hope I made my points clear about fake signals.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 26 Mar 2009

John,
I haven’t stated that we will remove the authorization indicator. We will simply fix it is blinking defect.
Yes, MC will work real-time even if 2 of 3 servers are down. All these servers are physically located in different places, we connect to them using dns or ip addresses.
Thanks Andrew for getting back to this issue and clarifying it.

I was going to ask if a tripple server setup was being used actually, which is why I tuned into the forum again.

As you, are probably just as aware of as am I, it is important that the users understand what you described above fully since they need to know that MC provides good odds that it will run all day without any interruptions. Hopefully most users (new ones especially) understand that it is just as important to them as it is to you that you protect your investment. So I guess "MC getting a data feed and a security feed at the same time with a double security server backup" is the only cost effective guaranteed way.

Good. Now when I decide to upgrade from MC 2.1.999.999 to fix the occasional aborts I get (the only real reason I have to upgrade actually) I only need worry if this abort issue has been fixed and the DRM system is not an issue.

Thanks again,
John.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 26 Mar 2009

I am not sure I have stated the fake signal issue correctly, but what I pointed was not about the difference between backtesting results and realtime results. I was talking about fake signals generated in realtime, but gone away when the chart is closed and reopen. For example, I had a signal at 9:30 am, but later after market hours, I suspected the signal and closed the chart and just reopened it. Then the signal at 9:30 am is gone!

I guess this happens when lots of ticks come in near the closing instant of a bar and some of those ticks were not processed timely if the CPU usage somehow was 100% at that moment. Later when I reopen the chart those unprocessed realtime ticks are just saved in QM and all of them loaded one by one and processed without missing. This can happen in more probability when multi-data series are used.

I am not sure this fake signal problem inherently exists in any realtime charting software, but I experiened this much frequently when using TS2ki.

Surely MC generates fake signals much less than TS2ki. But I realized that it is not 0% even though it is quite rare.

To reduce the probability of fake signals, I used to using a few technicques such as merging unnecessary ticks, loading less charts by spreading them in multiple pcs, using time of data1 = time of data2 checking and so on.

I hope I made my points clear about fake signals.
Haerim,
Your conclusions don't seem valid for us. We don't have enough information about your environment . However if you have any real test cases that prove your hypothesis you are welcome.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 26 Mar 2009

I think I had posted this somewhere in this Discussion Forum, but can't find it. So, I would repeat the feature request here again.

When we have several workspaces/charts, we frequently view the SPR for each chart. However, MC does not switch the SPR contents dynamically as we switch to different charts. In TS2ki, it was as easy as a snap to see SPR for any chart. Just click the chart I want to see and SPR automatically regenerates the result. In MC, I always have to close SPR and switch to another chart and open SPR again. This is quite inconvenient and time consuming compared to TS2ki.

In addition, TS2ki users miss so much the TrackingCenter and multiple batch optimization feature.

Look forward to seeing these features added soonest possible.

Thanks.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 27 Mar 2009

We are working on the tracking center and will keep other features in mind.

SUPER

Beta 5

Postby SUPER » 31 Mar 2009

Andrew,

When you switch off AutoTrade in Sync mode the chart does not plot/show new trades, one has to reload chart to get it back working.

This is an old bug, was hoping to see it fixed in Beta 5.

Thanks for the new Beta 5.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 31 Mar 2009

5. When the Average_a function is used with the 0 value, the following message pops up: Dynamic Array Bounds.

=> This seems not fixed yet. I've checked this with the same test code I posted in the post #6032 and get the same dynamic array bounds error.

Plz check again.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 31 Mar 2009

Fake signal revisited.

I think the following scenario can be causing fake signals if I am correct.

A 1-min chart is plotted with 2 data series: let's assume both are 1 min resolution for simplicity.

When two ticks for data1 with timestamp 09:29:59 (the last tick of 09:30 bar) and 09:30:00 (the first tick of 09:31 bar) are received, MC will close the 09:30 bar to generate signals if conditions are met.

At this moment, data2's bar can be either completed or not completed. That is, if both 09:29:59 and 09:30:00 ticks for data2 were also received by the time when signals are generated by MC, both of data1 and data2 are completed and will generate correct signals. However, if data2 received 09:29:59 tick but did not receive 09;30:00 tick yet for some reasons, data1 is completed but data2 is not completed yet. Since data1 is completed anyway, MC will generate signals using the previous bar value (09:29 bar) of data2. That is, MC will use 09:30 bar for data1 and 09:29 bar for data2.

A little later, if the late tick (09:30:00) for data2 arrives, it won't be used realtime by MC because the 09:30 bar for data1 already completed, signals for 09:30 were generated as described above, and 09:31 bar for data1 already started. If we later close the chart and reopen it again, MC does not know when this late tick for data2 was received but will use the timestamp only. Since the timestamp belongs to 09:30 bar, it is properly handled and can generate different signals. In this case, MC will use 09:30 bar for data1 and 09:30 bar for data2.

Maybe this fake signal is inevitable in this scenario because there is no way to force all the ticks for all data series synchronized. If fake signals can be prevented 100%, it would be really great because traders can be assured they will get no fake signals any more.

I would like to hear other people's comments on this issue. If there is any flaw in my scenario or assumptions, please comment.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 03 Apr 2009

Haerim,
We’ve carefully analyzed your issues and it is theoretically possible that such a problem may exist. It is very rare, but possible. However it is heavy depend on environment: your strategy and your data feed. We have been trying to reproduce the issue for two days and failed. So please try to use eSignal, IB or TS as a data feed and let us know. Send us your strategy if possible.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 03 Apr 2009

5. When the Average_a function is used with the 0 value, the following message pops up: Dynamic Array Bounds.

=> This seems not fixed yet. I've checked this with the same test code I posted in the post #6032 and get the same dynamic array bounds error.

Plz check again.
It is fixed. Helpdesk representatives indicate your mistake.

2haerim

Postby 2haerim » 03 Apr 2009

We’ve carefully analyzed your issues and it is theoretically possible that such a problem may exist. It is very rare, but possible. However it is heavy depend on environment: your strategy and your data feed. We have been trying to reproduce the issue for two days and failed. So please try to use eSignal, IB or TS as a data feed and let us know. Send us your strategy if possible.
Andrew, thank you for your answer. I suggest you run the CPU overload test long enough. Maybe you will have to run the same test for a month or so to repeat this issue on your end using very fast moving symbols.

I know it is very rare and heavily dependent on the environment because this issue was reported first time. About a couple months ago, one TS2ki user suffering from fake signals compared MC with TS2ki and he said that MC did not generate fake signals while TS2ki did once in a day or two during his test period. So, I thouhgt MC definitely has found a perfect way to handle fake signals. However, another user called me recently and said he also compared MC with TS2ki and TS2ki generated fake signals almost once in a day or two, but MC did only once in about 20 days or more. SO MC IS MUCH BETTER THAN TS2ki (I think this is the same for TS8, too, but not sure.). But MC still has the problem too even though the probability is much lower.

From long time experience and observation of TS2ki, I certainly believe that this fake signals are generated mostly when the CPU is overloaded when ticks flooding in because TS2ki utilize one CPU only.

In the mean time, since MC uses all available CPUs, the probability of CPU overloading is much lower than TS2ki. Therefore much lower frequency of fake signals in MC. But not 0%.

Anyway, the users want to remove the possiblity of fake signals if possible. If MC can find a way to solve it, it can make MC the real winner.
Every trader would use fake-signal-free software.
But I am afraid it is not possible to remove fake signals 100%.

The user who reported this fake signal problem said he would use PushPop to avoid it. Maybe this can be a hint for solving the fake signal problem.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 07 Apr 2009

Serious autotrade bug needs attention:

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=25787#25787

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 07 Apr 2009

Serious autotrade bug needs attention:

http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?p=25787#25787

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 07 Apr 2009

Super,
Please see:
http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=6149
You may send us screenshots of the issue. It would help us to generate some assumtptions.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 07 Apr 2009

Haerim,
We don't think it is a CPU overload issue, but it is hard to say something definite until it is reproducible. If you find a pattern let us know.

arnie

Postby arnie » 12 Apr 2009

You guys need to create key shortcuts ASAP.

For a simple cross call It's time consuming have to pick the mouse and point it to the cross button.

For example, I'm always getting "killed" because everytime I want to create a new chart inside of a workspace I hit CTRL + N and instead of opening a new window it opens a new workspace :o
If you are in a workspace, shouldn't CTRL + N assume that you want a new chart and not a workspace?

You've created key shortcuts for increase and decrease bar spacing so, why don't you create for the rest of the buttons? :wink:
Actually, if possible, users should be able to create their own, like eSignal software.

Regards,
Fernando

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 13 Apr 2009

You guys need to create key shortcuts ASAP.

We do have shortcuts for most frequent commands. We are planning to make shortcuts customization in the future.

For example, I'm always getting "killed" because everytime I want to create a new chart inside of a workspace I hit CTRL + N and instead of opening a new window it opens a new workspace
If you are in a workspace, shouldn't CTRL + N assume that you want a new chart and not a workspace?

No, it shouldn’t. Press Ins and you got it.

You've created key shortcuts for increase and decrease bar spacing so, why don't you create for the rest of the buttons?

We will do it.

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 13 Apr 2009

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 15 Apr 2009

Return to “MultiCharts”