Symbol linking with multiple data feeds

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Geoff

Symbol linking with multiple data feeds

Postby Geoff » 26 Mar 2009

When I include symbols from more than one data feed (IQfeed & IB) on the same scanner window and then use symbol linking to a chart the charts will not switch to the other data feed.

eg. If I have a @ESM9 from IQfeed on the scanner selected and displayed on the chart, I then click on QMK9 which is on IB (I do not have NYMEX live data on IQfeed) MC will add the symbol to QuoteManager under IQfeed and draw the chart with delayed data from IQfeed.

Edit:
Actually I just did a quick test and it doesn't just happen with the scanner. Just open and symbol link two charts. If you switch the symbol on one chart to another data feed the linked chart will switch symbol but not data feed.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 26 Mar 2009

Geoff,
That's right. Our symbol linking is not designed to handle symbols from different data sources. We send symbol name only when you switch symbols. Since MultiCharts can't find the symbol it adds it.
If this issue is important for other traders we will see what could be done.

geizer

Postby geizer » 26 Mar 2009

Andrew,
Geoff has a point. We need some way of handling symbols from different datafeeds. I've also encountered the situation above. Couple of things come to mind:
- Threat "symbol+feed" pair as a unique identifier of the symbol.
- Make it possible to display the feed in the status line of a chart window.
- Add a new keyword "Datafeed" into the PowerLanguage dictionary.
- Display "Datafeed" field in the scanner in addition to "Exchange Listed" and "Description" fields in the scanner (thank you for suggesting on how to add a "description" in one of your earlier posts).
-If symbol can not be found when added via the command line, MC should suggest a selection of similar symbols to choose from (if similar symbols exist in other data feeds) instead of just quietly adding a new symbol.
-Pavel

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 26 Mar 2009

Pavel,
Good comments. Why do you need all these features if you told Marina that you (or a friend of yours) are going to use AB since it has everything you need? :)
Does it allow you to use several data feeds simultaneously?

geizer

Postby geizer » 26 Mar 2009

Andrew,
I responded to you in PM, as it has little relevance to the subject.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 27 Mar 2009

Andrew,

Firstly I must say how impressed I am that the scanner is able to handle multiple data feeds in the same scanner. I do not know of another product capable of doing this without needing to have separate scanner windows. I'm not sure that many traders are even aware that this is possible so that may explain why few have noticed the problem with symbol linking.
It doesn't make sense not to link the data feed as well, otherwise you will need to keep separate workspaces for each data feed and not be able to take advantage of this unique feature.
Please at least consider adding it to the "to do list".

Thanks,
Geoff

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 27 Mar 2009

Geoff,
We've already added it to the to do list.

Return to “MultiCharts”