Help! DRM has locked me out of MultiCharts!

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
tortoise

Help! DRM has locked me out of MultiCharts!

Postby tortoise » 29 Mar 2009

Brought up MultiCharts as usual, but this time a box pops up that says "There is no connection to the digital rights management system. No real-time data will be available."

I've double-clicked on the "Not Authorized" box and typed in my registration name and registration code, but this has no effect. I've also closed down MC then restarted and repeated the process -- also to no avail. I've also rebooted my computer -- no change.

What do I do now? Please advise.

Thanks...

Postby Guest » 29 Mar 2009

Same here.
Looks like their DRM system is out of work for the time being.
Usually, a simple restart of MC program solves the problem but not now.

arnie

Postby arnie » 29 Mar 2009

Yes.

No authorization in here also.

Maybe they are testing the servers or the impossible just happened, all 3 servers went down at the same time :shock:

Regards
Fernando

miltonc4

Postby miltonc4 » 29 Mar 2009

Andrew
Same here,I have emailed TS Support directly
No amount of re boots would change this not authorising
Miltonc4

RobotMan

Postby RobotMan » 29 Mar 2009

The server seems up and running at 216.154.216.141, however, it does not seem to respond for authorization requests.
Attachments
DRM-01.jpg
(114.12 KiB) Downloaded 1997 times

tortoise

Well, this is distressing, to say the least...

It calls into question my own blithe confidence that MultiCharts' triple-server redundancy would be sufficient.

Rats.

I think MC is the best charting option out there. Surely there is another way for tssupport to protect its intellectual property without resorting to a "solution" that undermines MultiCharts' reliability and, therefore, its usefulness.

RobotMan

I think somebody's working on the server hardware/software, because the name of the server has changed in the past few minutes.
I think this is just a blip and no cause for alarm.
Attachments
DRM-02.jpg
(117.45 KiB) Downloaded 1999 times

arnie

Well, today is Sunday so the problem isn't that bad.

Maybe they're testing the servers.

Common, do you prefer they test the servers during week days, while markets are open around the world almost 24 hours a day?

Let's give them a bit of space to work so they be able to give us the best service possible.

Fernando

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 29 Mar 2009

Fernando
Fortunately I'm using beta 2 so I am still able to do my research for the week ahead today. I guess TSSupport will be introducing 24/7 support to resolve any issues when this goes out of beta.

arnie

Fortunately I'm using beta 2 so I am still able to do my research for the week ahead today. I guess TSSupport will be introducing 24/7 support to resolve any issues when this goes out of beta.
Exactly.

Who needs to prepare their trades for next week, or not, should continue to work with previous versions, the ones without DRM.

Fernando

TJ

Postby TJ » 29 Mar 2009

IB data feed is offline on weekends, DRM offline does not bother/affect me.

My question is:

for those using eSignal or other data feed, does it mean that you cannot get historical data?

Geoff

for those using eSignal or other data feed, does it mean that you cannot get historical data?
I'm not certain but that is how I read Andrew's previous statements, that is, that it goes into off line mode and you can only see data you already have.

RobotMan

I use eSignal. I just pulled up a chart of a symbol I do not have any data for and it pulled in the historical data ok.
So I got that going for me. Which is nice.

Geoff

Thanks Bob,

At least that is something. The big question is will it be back before the international markets start opening at 5pm EST.

geizer

Postby geizer » 29 Mar 2009

Number of routers in N. America are down right now.

I just ran tracert to the IP provided by RobotMat (I assume it's correct) and get a packet loss: see attached "tracert" file. Also a snapshot of N.American routers at 10:54 MST Sunday, if anyone interested.

The current state of the world internet traffic health: http://www.internettrafficreport.com

I guess this is one of those outages when triple redundancy can't do much.
-Pavel
Last edited by geizer on 29 Mar 2009, edited 7 times in total.

TJ

Postby TJ » 29 Mar 2009

I wonder what is the point of DRM?

if a hedge fund can run 20 computers offline to do 20 simultaneous backtesting... the DRM is not going to stop them.

I guess Andrew is aiming at prop shops that run multiple copies with one license.
I guess in the past, a thief can start one MC at a time, then prevent the MC to call home once it has authenticated... then start the second MC, and so on.
The DRM should prevent them from doing that.

this is just my speculation. (less than 2 cents worth.)

Oh well... if people can steal MC like that, then TSS cannot survive for long,
or TSS cannot afford to add more features to the program,
or TSS have to increase the upgrade charges...
either way it is not a good thing for the users.

DRM is inevitable. I don't know of one major software that does not have it.

I just hope Andrew can find ways to recognize the good guys, and make life easier for them (us!).
e.g. people who have demonstrated the user habit of logging in from one computer and from one IP location.

Right now I am not too concern yet. If TSS can run a reliable 24/7 FX data server, I am sure they can run a simple DRM. Because the DRM has 1/1000th the requirement of a data feed.

tortoise

Just downgraded to Beta2...

Beta2 is up and running as expected. Breathing a sigh of relief now that I can get my Sunday afternoon work done.

The experience does, however, leave me wary of the DRM "solution." My inclination is to avoid releases past Beta2 until and unless tssupport can provide assurances that MultiCharts will be usable for its honest customers.
Last edited by tortoise on 29 Mar 2009, edited 1 time in total.

momentum

Postby momentum » 29 Mar 2009

Andrew, you need to resolve YOUR problem in a way that has NO IMPACT on legitimate users. The fear of unavailability is as bad as unavailability.

TJ

Postby TJ » 29 Mar 2009

IB data feed is offline on weekends, DRM offline does not bother/affect me.
on my second thought, this is inconvenient:
if I want to connect to IB demo system to do some "live" code testing, the failed DRM would not allow me to do that.

:-(

TJ

Postby TJ » 29 Mar 2009

Maybe they're testing the servers.

Common, do you prefer they test the servers during week days, while markets are open around the world almost 24 hours a day?

Let's give them a bit of space to work so they be able to give us the best service possible.

Fernando
if the DRM server is being serviced, TSS should post a note to that effect.
instead of letting some of its more sensitive users run around in distress.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 29 Mar 2009

I just hope Andrew can find ways to recognize the good guys, and make life easier for them (us!).
e.g. people who have demonstrated the user habit of logging in from one computer and from one IP location.
I would suggest that the good guys are those who log in from one computer. I use 3G service to connect to internet. My IP is dynamic. Any time I connect to internet my IP is different.

Regards

arnie

if the DRM server is being serviced, TSS should post a note to that effect.
instead of letting some of its more sensitive users run around in distress.
True, but as far as I know, only after version 5 beta 3 the DRM was implemented so the previous versions won't be affected by the problem.

As Andrew said a couple of times, if users don't want to have any problems they should use version 4 instead of using beta versions.

I think people are freaking out to much with beta versions.

It's nice to test them, see the new features, testing them and report the bugs, but when trading hour arrives, forget beta versions, at least forget the ones that have been producing to much bugs, like beta 3.

Fernando

arnie

Maybe the solution would be a digital key of some sort installed in the computer and every week or so, a new digital key would be produced by MC and sent to the servers for them to confirm their validity. This would have to be done in the same day for all users since it would be the only way to recognize the same MC digital key being validated several times to the same user, or even different users.

It would be something similar to what the cable televison networks do with their premium services. From time to time they change the scramble algorithm signal so the cracked boxes don't recognize the new one.

Since most users install their registrated MC (1 licence) in 2 computers, one for realtime and the other for offline, the system should be able to allow 2 registrations in the servers for the same MC digital key.

Fernando

momentum

eSignal have it sorted quite easily. As soon as the same user logs in a second time, your prior login is logged out. Also, the default setting for the DRM being unreachable should be ALLOW not "disallow".

TJ

Postby TJ » 29 Mar 2009

eSignal have it sorted quite easily. As soon as the same user logs in a second time, your prior login is logged out. Also, the default setting for the DRM being unreachable should be ALLOW not "disallow".
it is easier for eSignal because the 1st computer will be cut off from datafeed.

For MC, if the 1st computer is blocked by the user to call home... how can TSS shut it down remotely?

momentum

If it can't call home it also cannot get live data so that's like having the DRM. If it does call home and its a second logon the it can be disallowed. Eurex opens in 2 hours, time to roll back to 5.2

Boy, this beta test really worked. DRM as implemented is not fit for purpose.

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 29 Mar 2009

I have a feeling that TSsupport is going to hear an earful tomorrow about DRM !

Postby Guest » 30 Mar 2009

Would anybody have the download address of the version 5 beta 2 available ? I started recently with the beta 4 and do not have the beta 2 on my machine.

Thanks in advance,

Pierre

geizer

Postby geizer » 30 Mar 2009

I have a feeling that TSsupport is going to hear an earful tomorrow about DRM !
Monday might bring some good news even. Who knows? Today's DRM outage can signify that new beta 5 is coming out tomorrow with improved DRM engine. DRM is still in it's very early beta stage and it needs to evolve.
I think this is what we're seeing today.
Andrew mentioned that beta 5 was scheduled for release March 28 which was yesterday, Saturday. Is this a coincidence?

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 30 Mar 2009

I sincerely hope the 5 beta is released today. I can't wait any longer.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 30 Mar 2009

I'm deleting some posts on the forum, because I'm tired of some idiots who use beta after thousands of warnings that it is beta and works as beta.
These dishonest people who use new beta features, ask my help to configure it and call MultiCharts POS, crap and so on at the same time.
The downtime today was our fault and nobody else. We’ve reconfigured our server and it generated a problem.
As a current beta 4 doesn’t have redundancy and beta 5 will not too, don’t expect 100% reliability. Don’t waste your time and don’t post your abuses here. Don’t de-motivate my team. We are all tired of ridiculous statements at my home page.
Beta 6 will have 2 redundant servers that will guarantee 100% up time.
Beta 5 should be released today.
Thank you.

Geoff

Postby Geoff » 30 Mar 2009

Andrew,

Thank you for the information as to the planned introduction of redundancy. I think we were all given the impression that it was already in beta 4. Luckily my priori kept me from inconvenience this time, theoretical reasoning can be a very useful skill. But it is difficult to make these decisions if we are not given the full information. I'll be sitting out beta 5.

Thanks,
Geoff

reitberg

Postby reitberg » 30 Mar 2009

thanks for the info.

Return to “MultiCharts”