Bad Range bars (again)

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
jbiard

Bad Range bars (again)

Postby jbiard » 20 Feb 2006

I attach a picture file showing that a 4 points Range chart is in fact made of a lot of 0.5 points bars.
I am using beta 410.880.
So unless I really missed something, it looks like MC is having problems with Range charts.
Attachments
PB Range bars MWSnap009 2006-02-20, 19_43_54.jpg
(36.9 KiB) Downloaded 936 times

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 22 Feb 2006

Dear jbiard,

Please, check this link: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=596

I hope this will answer your questions.

jbiard

Postby jbiard » 23 Feb 2006

Andrew,
I read this post before, and it does not explain why I get 0.5 points bars when I request 4 points bars; unfortunatly I cannot explain which steps I used to get there; all I can say is that it worked OK for a while, then I changed to 2 points, 1 point and finally I got the 0.5 points regardless of the number of points I asked.
I understand that you are going to work on the Range bars features, and therefore I hope that this situation will be taken care of at the same time.

Range bars is a must for me.

Thank you
PS: at this moment most of the bars I get are 0.5 points high and I cannot get anything else.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 23 Feb 2006

Dear jbiard,

The issue is that currently MultiCharts operates Points for Point-based (Range) charts basing on price scale, not the min.movement size. This is because we do not actually handle min.movement and some other information in the database. I.e. actual point number should be calculated as: Real points number desired x (1/Price scale) x Min.movement.

In you case (CAC40) it would be 4 x 10 x 0.5 = 20 Points. So you need request 20 points chart (in price scale points) to get 4 points chart (in min.mov. points).

Postby Guest » 23 Feb 2006

Hi Andrew,

Does this post negate what you posted on Feb 14th,where you mention that the 'True Constant Bars' will be impemented in MC in 2-3 weeks?

Best,
CC

Andrew Kirillov

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 6:16 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Joe,

Your understanding is a little bit incorrect. Currently MultiCharts handles range bars as X-points movement from bar open. So the possible bar height can vary from X-points to 2*X-points.

Regarding your questions:
(1) Yes.
(2) I beleive constant height bars ("Constant Range Bars" or "True Constant Bars") will be added in 2-3 weeks. I'll let you know then.

jbiard

Postby jbiard » 24 Feb 2006

Hi Andrew,
I am trying to understand how the calculation works.
Is the "Min.movement" you mention the value that is set in the Settings tab of the Edit Symbol form of the Quote Manager.
If I try to enter 0.5 there, I get a message saying that this value must be between 1 and 1000000.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 24 Feb 2006

To CC:

No these posts are not negating each other because they are devoted a little bit different issues. The topic of Feb 14th is a discussion about "how to consider the range for range bar chart". The result of the discussion is that we have to:
1. Keep the current way where range is calculated from bar Open to either High or Low (bar's height may differ for 1xRange to 2xRange).
2. Add "True range" way where range is calculated from bar High to Low (so all the bars will be the same height).
And the current post is about the how MultiCharts handle the "Point" idea i.e. is it based on price scale or min.movement.

To jbiard:

Well, let me make it clear. Yes I mean the "min.movement" settings in QuoteManager. But as you can see in my previous post we DO NOT YET handle min.movement settings properly. It means it doesn't matter for MultiCharts what you have entered in this field actually. You just need to use the min. movement which you do know for a particular symbol. E.g. 0.5 for CAC 40 or 0.25 for ES etc. And the formula above is just to help you to figure out the points number to request to get desired chart.

As for "between 1 ... 1000000" - this is because min.movement is based on price scale. It means if you have "1/100" price scale you need to set min.mov as "50" to reflect 0.5 actual point. But ignore this until we handle it.

Postby Guest » 24 Feb 2006

Thanks for the update Andrew,will be looking forward to MultiCharts having this feature.

CC

2. Add "True range" way where range is calculated from bar High to Low (so all the bars will be the same height).
And the current post is about the how MultiCharts handle the "Point" idea i.e. is it based on price scale or min.movement.

wullenweber helmut

Re: Bad Range bars (again)

Postby wullenweber helmut » 08 Feb 2011

Do you follow up the idea to add the option for "True range bars" ,so that all bars will have the same constant range? See attached example.
Attachments
RBChart.png
(22.75 KiB) Downloaded 835 times

Return to “MultiCharts”