MultiCharts 5.0.2369.400 installer message

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Sigma Trader

MultiCharts 5.0.2369.400 installer message

Postby Sigma Trader » 25 May 2009

I downloaded and saved the file to install later. When i ran it i got the message "The installer has detected the following process currently running on your computer" and listed multicharts.exe. The task manager infact showed multicharts.exe in the processes. So, i ended its process and then the installer quit, shut down, i.e. aborted, closed. Problem with this is the Multicharts program had not been opened, so the only multicharts.exe running was the installer itself. So, i closed everything, rebooted the machine, checked the task manager to see if multicharts.exe was listed in the processes. It was not. So then i again run the installer and it asks me if i want to Repair or Uninstall. So i select Repair. Then it starts the repair and i get the same error message about multicharts .exe running and has to be closed, and again I check the Task Manager and see multicharts.exe is listed. Now then, what to make of this? I could cuss. I could say bad things. I could complain. I could say this process is in a loop. I could say i never experienced this with anyother software. I am sorry, but i cannot be as ecstatic as others who have praised Multicharts. I have waited since version 1 to have a smooth running software and it still isn't there. I cannot call this a gold version when this sort of problem occurs. I cannot say it is on a par with the software it was to emulate. Agreed it has some very good advantages, but honestly, it really has not achieved the goals expected before becoming Gold. I am sure i am not alone in this perspective. In the meantime, what to do about this nonfunctioning installer????????

Sigma Trader

Installer mystery deepens

Postby Sigma Trader » 25 May 2009

Now then the mystery deepens. After failing to fully complete an install of ver 5 to my knowledge with satisfaction, and even reading a message that says the install has not been completed, even getting one message that says a previous install must be completed first...a reassuring message said that since the install was not complete no files have been changed. So, OK, i shut down and decide to check this last message. I open Multicharts thinkiing it would still be Ver 4, but no, wa la, The Help About says Ver 5 was infact installed. It even opened my former workspace and the two scanners. So, i am puzzled by all this. No, i haven't been drinking this weekend. This machine never had 5 on it before, not even a beta. I still do not see how a proper Install or Repair can be done if the Installer sees itself as a multicharts.exe in the task manager and says that has to be closed and when it is closed, the installer closes. I think if this can happen, it should be fixed so it can't happen. That suggestion alone should get me a free upgrade in the future ;-)

TJ

Postby TJ » 25 May 2009

my first install wasn't successful.
don't know what happened.
could be the OS,
could be a million other things i was running on the computer before the install.
I reboot and try again.
the 2nd install went without a hitch.
MC Gold has been running solid so far.

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 25 May 2009

If I had that problem , I would remove the previous version(making sure not to remove the studies or data), then install the gold version.
I installed the gold version on 2 computers and had no problem with either install.

Sigma Trader

When all else fails uninstall......

Postby Sigma Trader » 26 May 2009

Well, i took brodnicki's advice and did the dirty dead of starting to uninstall the partially functioning MC5. First i exported all the PLE. Then i used the Control Panel to Remove, upon selection of MC5 it gave me the option Repair or Uninstall. I decided to give it one more chance on the Repair option. This time the Repair went completely through the process. Cheers. The machine had to reboot for it to take effect. So, reboot, open eSignal DM, open MultiCharts, Authorization is green, try to create a chart of ES #F and get "No data" at the top of the chart. Forgot to change the File/Preferences/DataServerMode. Got everything right. Now all seems to be hunkydorie. Back on track. No tech support needed.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 27 May 2009

If you renamed the MultiCharts installer to MultiCharts.exe the problem will happen. The installer looks for running multicharts.exe process to make sure that everything is closed properly.
Solution: rename the file.

Sigma Trader

installer name

Postby Sigma Trader » 27 May 2009

I used the default download name when saving. The file name at the download url is multicharts.exe. I did not rename it. It should be something else, like MultichartsInstaller.exe to avoid the unsuspecting confusion. The user could rename it of course.

Sigma Trader

Postby Sigma Trader » 27 May 2009

It is also probably better to choose Run instead of Save. On the first install on the primary machine i did choose Run and there were no install problems. On the backup machine i chose Save using the default name of multicharts.exe and that is what the problem was, even though Multicharts had not been opened on that machine since the last bootup.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 27 May 2009

Where did you get the installer?
we have the following name:
multicharts.5.0.exe
Thank you.

Return to “MultiCharts”