Very simple backtesting question...

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
synonym

Very simple backtesting question...

Postby synonym » 24 Jul 2009

Hi
this is such a simply question, it is going to sound very silly to many of you ou there, but forgive me i am trying to apply a strategy and use the backtester for the first time in MC.

I have simply pulled up a chart on a stock and applied a fast and slow MA. Next step (i assume) is to apply a signal. So i have applied MovAvg2Line Cross LE. I have formatted it so that i reflects the MA's i have applied, ensured its status is on and that the entry signals are in a colour that will be visable.

I have also set the properties as i think appropriate. When i look at the chart, it only shows the first entry, it shows no exit and no other entry signals. I have checked my settings and all seem fine.

What am i doing wrong?!
Help please.
Cheers
Syn

synonym

This doesn't bode well for me when using the portfolic backester! :shock:

geektrader

Postby geektrader » 24 Jul 2009

It´s clear that you only get one entry, that´s because you haven´t defined any exits. Your Strategy currently enters a position when the MA crosses whatever you specified, but then nothing more happens since you didn´t specify an exit and this initital position stays open forever.

You need to add at least a Long Exit Method as well. So for example: Enter when MA crosses this and sell when MA crosses this. Or add a Stop Loss or Profit Target for example. At least you will need one exit strategy as it´s otherwise clear that the position never gets exited.

TJ

Postby TJ » 24 Jul 2009

This doesn't bode well for me when using the portfolic backester! :shock:

it might help if you

post your codes,

and the screen shot of your format and property windows.

synonym

It´s clear that you only get one entry, that´s because you haven´t defined any exits. Your Strategy currently enters a position when the MA crosses whatever you specified, but then nothing more happens since you didn´t specify an exit and this initital position stays open forever.

You need to add at least a Long Exit Method as well. So for example: Enter when MA crosses this and sell when MA crosses this. Or add a Stop Loss or Profit Target for example. At least you will need one exit strategy as it´s otherwise clear that the position never gets exited.
I knwo what you are saying, as i had that thought myself. But, the signal i am using has a tab for entry and a tab for exits. There is no equivilent seperate exit signal in the preloaded signals, which makes me think i don't need to use one...am i right?

The problem i had earlier er not being able to access the tutorials and other support has gone, so i can have a look there now too.

synonym

it might help if you

post your codes,

and the screen shot of your format and property windows.
Hi TJ

The code only shows and entry signal, but it also still shows the default periods for the MAve's which i have changed via the format signal window in the chart, so it isn't reflecting what i am actually doing. Is this normal?

I don't understand why the code would only show an entry signal, whereas the signal formatting tabs show the setting for the exit too...

Does the logic geek and i are discussing above make sense, in the add singal window on the chart formatting, do you have to have seperate entry and exit signals?

I had other stuff to do earlier, i'm now able to play ar5ound for a a while...see how i get on.

Syn

geektrader

You DO need a exit strategy or at least a Long + Short Trigger. If you only have a Long OR a Short Trigger, you will only get 1 trade as you have it now because the position never changes.

synonym

Think i can see the problem...there is no exit signal for the signal. See attached study.jpg, it shows a MovAv2Line Cross LE, but it doesn't show a MovAv2Line Cross LX. Trust me to pick this one...but it makes you wonder, why you would put a preloaded entry signal and no exit signal...

PLus, why does the entry signal also have an exit signal tab in the formatting window?! See second attached jpeg.
Attachments
Study Window.jpg
(47.07 KiB) Downloaded 769 times
Format signal window.jpg
(44.37 KiB) Downloaded 774 times

synonym

You DO need a exit strategy or at least a Long + Short Trigger. If you only have a Long OR a Short Trigger, you will only get 1 trade as you have it now because the position never changes.
I've done what you said for another strategy - MACross and it works like you say. I still don't understand why each signal has both an entry and exit formatting tab?!!

geektrader

The default parameters like the exit signal are always there, even if the strategy doesn´t use any. It´s just for setting the "look" of the entry + exit signal, SHOULD the underlying strategy have any.

synonym

The default parameters like the exit signal are always there, even if the strategy doesn´t use any. It´s just for setting the "look" of the entry + exit signal, SHOULD the underlying strategy have any.
Right, confusing to an MC newcomer. Thanks for your help Geektrader.

Now for trying to get that to backtest as a strategy... :)

geektrader

Yes, there should be a better manual, but I though find it nice to see them working on the functionality so hard as this is the most important thing and there are still enough bugs (just only today I posted 3 bug reports hehe);)

Good luck Synonym.

synonym

Yes, there should be a better manual, but I though find it nice to see them working on the functionality so hard as this is the most important thing and there are still enough bugs (just only today I posted 3 bug reports hehe);)

Good luck Synonym.
:lol: Cheers GeekTrader. Best to you too.

Return to “MultiCharts”