MarketPosition is not initialized in Synch mode

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
sylfvdk

MarketPosition is not initialized in Synch mode

Postby sylfvdk » 18 Aug 2009

Ver 5.5 Beta 5

When switching to autotrading in Synch mode, MarketPosition is always set to 0 regardless on real current position at broker - long or short. MarketPosition_at_Broker is initialized with real position at Broker which is fine.

Please, accept problem with MarketPosition as a bug, or explain why MarketPosition is not initialized with Broker in Synch mode.

Thanks
Victor

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 19 Aug 2009

Not to pre-empt MC's reply, but aren't MarketPosition and MarketPosition_at_Broker two different things by definition, and if the platform set one to the other, would that not break the model conceptually?

Would you not want to be able to check on MarketPosition <> MarketPosition_at_Broker and act accordingly with your own logic?

sylfvdk

Postby sylfvdk » 19 Aug 2009

MarketPosition and MarketPosition_at_Broker are completely two different things.

MarketPosition is 1 for long, 0-for flat and -1 for short, while MarketPosition_at_Broker is number of shares/contracts at broker.

MarketPosition_at_Broker is initialized correctly, but MarketPosition is not. That gives major problem.

For example, at the moment of switching to autotrade to IB, I have long positions, but MarketPosition is still 0. It will not let me send SELL orders to IB, because MC doesn't see my long positions( I believe, you can sell only when MarketPosition = 1, otherwise, Sell order is Ignored).

Moreover, you cannot assign a value to MarketPosition. It is internal variable.

PLease, MC Support, answer this issue - Why MarketPosition is not initialize-, Please...

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 19 Aug 2009

MarketPosition is 1 for long, 0-for flat and -1 for short, while MarketPosition_at_Broker is number of shares/contracts at broker.

MarketPosition_at_Broker is initialized correctly, but MarketPosition is not. That gives major problem.
I see your point.

I've also wondered why Async mode allows user specification of an initial position but Sync mode does not ...

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 20 Aug 2009

Victor,
I fully understand your issue and I agree that it could be considered as a bug from a user perspective. So Anastasia told you that it has been done according to the initial system requirements and were correct, but it is not what you expect/
Actually it is imperfection. Our auto-trading system evolved and we added assigning market position to ASYNC mode. We wanted to do the same for Synch mode, but found that this mode is not popular and we postponed implementation. It is possible we will improve it in the future.
We can't automatically assign actual broker position, because there are people who trade the same symbol from several charts with different strategies or resolutions. In this case we will have a conflict and complete mess.
Why don't you want to use ASYNC mode? Could you let me know the reason?

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 20 Aug 2009

there are people who trade the same symbol from several charts with different strategies or resolutions.
Wouldn't this generally require the use of Async mode? (so that each chart acts according to it's own accounting of long/short/flat)

I think having the choice between Sync and Async modes is good option to have available, and I'm glad to see it.

I would suggest that some sort of "Automation Concepts and Usage" document be written. This would be more than just short descriptions of the available features, checkboxes, etc. The idea would be to describe the real-world scenarios when/where each feature would be used, or not.

For the automation system to have become a reality, much thinking and design had to go into it. It would be very helpful if as much of that thinking/design as possible were described and explained for everyone's future reference.

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 20 Aug 2009

"I would suggest that some sort of "Automation Concepts and Usage" document be written. This would be more than just short descriptions of the available features, checkboxes, etc. The idea would be to describe the real-world scenarios when/where each feature would be used, or not.

For the automation system to have become a reality, much thinking and design had to go into it. It would be very helpful if as much of that thinking/design as possible were described and explained for everyone's future reference."

** I think this would be a great idea as well. Take a Real World system and show how to automate it, using the modes and features in MC and explanations along the way as to why certain modes or features are used in certain circumstances. It would be great help to those of us that are new to trading automation.

sylfvdk

Postby sylfvdk » 20 Aug 2009

Andrew, I understand the reason why you cannot initialize MarketPosition automatically. But the fact, you don't let User to assign it manually for SYNCH mode (like you do for ASYNC mode) just MAKES IT IMPOSSIBLE TO USE SYNCH mode.
You did such a wonderful job to syncronize strategy arrows, positions and filling orders with brokers, but this lilltle glich just makes it unusable.

Of cource, I can use ASYNCH mode, but SYNCH has many advantages, as having filled proces (not entry one) and so on.

Please, I don't think, this is much of problem, in one of your future releases to add MarketPosition assigning like it works for ASYNCH.

Thanks, Victor

SUPER

Postby SUPER » 21 Aug 2009

Andrew, I understand the reason why you cannot initialize MarketPosition automatically. But the fact, you don't let User to assign it manually for SYNCH mode (like you do for ASYNC mode) just MAKES IT IMPOSSIBLE TO USE SYNCH mode.
You did such a wonderful job to syncronize strategy arrows, positions and filling orders with brokers, but this lilltle glich just makes it unusable.

Of cource, I can use ASYNCH mode, but SYNCH has many advantages, as having filled proces (not entry one) and so on.

Please, I don't think, this is much of problem, in one of your future releases to add MarketPosition assigning like it works for ASYNCH.

Thanks, Victor
+ 1 Support for enhancement

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 27 Aug 2009

We are setting higher priority for the feature.

Return to “MultiCharts”