Vista x64 Quad Core CPU affinity

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
cyberdad

Vista x64 Quad Core CPU affinity

Postby cyberdad » 02 Sep 2009

When there are many charts open and calculating, multicharts appears to be using all processor cores.

When there is only one chart open and calculating there appears to be only one core working at maximum.

When I try to change that by setting the affinity of multicharts in Task Manager I get a "Access Denied" error.

Is this normal? Is there another way to make multicharts use all cores at any time?

My OS: Vista x64 Ultimate
CPU : Quad core Q6600
Multicharts latest version

TJ

Postby TJ » 02 Sep 2009

this is normal and logical.

Each chart has to be handled by ONE CPU only.
Otherwise you will have multiple hands in the pie;
the computer will be spending more time on cross-tracking data integrity, scheduling dependents and managing synchronizations, than calculations.

geektrader

Postby geektrader » 02 Sep 2009

This is not normal. Tradesignal does use all 4 cores of my Quad Core for the same Strategy as in Multicharts and it is definetely calculating faster in Tradesignal. Should be addressed in my opinion, since currently all the cores are only used when optimizing.

TJ

Postby TJ » 02 Sep 2009

This is not normal. Tradesignal does use all 4 cores of my Quad Core for the same Strategy as in Multicharts and it is definetely calculating faster in Tradesignal. Should be addressed in my opinion, since currently all the cores are only used when optimizing.

Thank you for your observation.

Can I ask you a favor?
Can you post a screen shot of the Task Manager when running 1 chart?
I would like to see it, not because I do not believe you, I am asking merely for my own educational purpose.

geektrader

Postby geektrader » 03 Sep 2009

You can download Tradesignal for trial on their website. Will post screenshots ASAP.

cyberdad

Postby cyberdad » 04 Sep 2009

So, could someone from TSSupport give an official reply on the subject, please?

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 16 Sep 2009

Dear cyberdad,
Is this normal? Is there another way to make multicharts use all cores at any time?
TJ gave you the correct answer on MultiCharts.
Tradesignal does use all 4 cores of my Quad Core for the same Strategy as in Multicharts and it is definetely calculating faster in Tradesignal.
As far as we know Tradesignal can use multiple CPUs for ptimization only. If you see all cores loaded it doesn't mean each of them loaded by Tradesignal. Check the processes running and post the screenshot.

As far as for speed of calculation Tradesignal is .NET application and in tests we have performed Multicharts was always at least 20-30% faster.

Your experiense rouse the interest. Please describe the exact details of comparison you make.

Return to “MultiCharts”