Feature Request: Alerts

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
drewb4

Feature Request: Alerts

Postby drewb4 » 24 Sep 2009

Can you add a set alert feature where you can right click on the chart from the cursor position (a la esignal)?

TJ

Postby TJ » 24 Sep 2009

you can click and create a line from the Drawing Objects icon. It will do the same thing.

drewb4

Postby drewb4 » 24 Sep 2009

you can click and create a line from the Drawing Objects icon. It will do the same thing.
I know, but it is too many clicks. you should be able to just set an alert on the chart and not have it be associated with an indicator, line, etc.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 27 Sep 2009

If your not familiar with the commands to do what I describe below they are all in the MC EL manual under the trend line category. Similar commands exists for arrows and text.

If you have room out front of the last bar "format window space to the ight > 0" then you could write code to have a horizontal line out there which the code keeps out there. However once you manually move that horizontal line to behind the last bar (and to a price level where you want your alert of course) then the code could keep extending that line from where you placed it to maybe one bar behind the current bar and it could have a cross over alert attached. To shut it off you could simply highlight the line again and the code would put it back out front of the last bar ready for another use at any time. You probably would need to build in a delay. I am thinking that you could simply highlight it out front, it positions behind current price then you move it where you want it and it changes colour after maybe 1 minute and once it is that color any highlight after that puts it back out front of price (effectively shutting it off). This is just one idea. Maybe you can come up with some sort of variation on it such as if left highlighted for more than X seconds it gets put back out front.

If you do not want a lot of space out front of the last bar then make that line very small and when you highlight it the code could extend its length and keep it horizotal for you allowing you to grab it and position it. You could also write code to make it snap exactly the smallest unit of price change.

Now that is pretty easy to use and you get a visual too. You could even have it start to flash when prices get close to it. Lots can be done. Sometimes I am glad MC does not have a feature because during the process of working around its not being there I end up getting ideas for the EL code that they could not possibly put in their product (what I mean is you can make it custom the way you want it and could never expect TSS to get it this specific to your needs). I have done a few things like what I just decribed. MC's EL can be programmed to be highly user interactive for us Discretionary Traders. It would be even better if TSS would fix that problem where it keeps redrawing the Text or Line or Arrow on every new tick until the bar is finished (I am assuming it has not been fixed after MC 2.1.999.999 but if I am wrong please let me know). Unfortunately this limitation makes these ideas work better on 10 second bars. You will find that the constant redrawing forces a full 1 bar delay for that X seconds mentioned above. The programming gets tricky as a result.

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 02 Oct 2009

John,
It would be even better if TSS would fix that problem where it keeps redrawing the Text or Line or Arrow on every new tick until the bar is finished
You may try to have code working with drawings when bar status = closed:

Code: Select all

if barstatus=2 then

begin

//... Your work whith drawing (creating, changing, etc.)

end;

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 02 Oct 2009

Hi Andrew,

Yes that is actually what I am doing in the areas I am using this technique. However it means the system has to delay 1 minute on the minute bars before it can start up (I have it beep when that minute is complete so I know it is ready). It is not that big a deal really once the person programming it realizes they have to deal with this one minute delay and put in that beep. It took a fair bit of programming effort on my part to finally figure out why my programming was not working and to finally come up with that beep idea (long ago now).

Thanks,
John.

Return to “MultiCharts”