WORKSPACES Editing

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Yves BENOIT

WORKSPACES Editing

Postby Yves BENOIT » 09 Oct 2009

I have 30 workspaces, one for each 30 symbols of my list, with 6 windows in each.

1) I wanted to modify a few characterics in these workspaces, like new window size, position, bars back, pixels per bar..;

Opening each workspace, modifying each window and saving the result is a long process through MC.
So I prepared the Workspace for first Symbol.

Then I used a simple TEXT EDITOR to open its .wsp file
and found , for example, these settings :
Height = '429'
Left = '0'
Top = '0'
Width = '1378'
BarSpacing = '3'
BarsToRight = '10'
.. and others.

I opened each .wsp corresponding to each other symbol,
and I did search-replace of each occurence of each setting with the value observed in the first .wsp,
(or other values if I wanted)
When you save the file, don't forget to check that extension .wsp is still present, or force it.
All windows have now the exact size position I wanted.

2) I wanted to restructure all these workspaces, with new indicators and also many other characteristics, and they should be IDENTICAL, except the symbol name;
Previous procedure was too long because the changes in each .wsp file were too important.

So I prepared and saved the first Workspace for the first Symbol XXX.

I opened it in TEXT EDITOR. I found the following symbol-related settings, and, for EVERY OCCURRENCE, I did search-replace as shown :
RealTimeSymbol ='XXX' => RealTimeSymbol ='YYYY'
Symbol = 'XXX' => Symbol = 'YYYY'
Description = '...' => Description = ' '
Maximum = '...' => no change
Minimum = '...' => no change
Then I saved it with a new name corresponding to symbol YYY , (not forgetting the .wsp extension.)
The Description = ' ',Maximum = '...',Minimum = '...' fields will be automatically updated,
at next open and save of worspace in MC.

This was very fast. You might automate it with Macro.

I was pleased to tell you about these procedures.

However, I still have a question: I am looking for a better TEXT EDITOR so that:
- I can find approximate syntax highlighting like in Powerlanguage Editor
- I can create Macros to automate search & replace and other editing actions

Complementary question:
What is the classical computer language which has the most similar syntax and standard keywords to Powerlanguage?

Thank you

Yves BENOIT

PS: Be careful: .wsp file contains a few control characters, which are wiped out by MS Office Word, for example; (so that MC refuses to open the .wsp file).
Most other Text Editors don't do any harm.

TJ

Postby TJ » 09 Oct 2009

Complementary question:
What is the classical computer language which has the most similar syntax and standard keywords to Powerlanguage?
Pascal

Return to “MultiCharts”