Potfolio Trading Quote from Multicharts Website

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
flipflopper

Potfolio Trading Quote from Multicharts Website

Postby flipflopper » 10 Feb 2010

I pulled this quote off the Multicharts website under portfolio trading:

"A dynamic portfolio strategy is more then simply a collection of separate strategies, and takes in to account a number of additional factors, such as capital limits, entry orders priority, money and risk management, and overall portfolio performance."

My question is where can I learn about this??? If your strategy cannot even pull account equity, buying power, available margin info from IB then how can you do any of this stuff advertised?

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 10 Feb 2010

I also highly recommend adding a Broker/Account Window similar to what they offer at PTMultistation:

http://profstation.com/

Andrew Kirillov

Postby Andrew Kirillov » 11 Feb 2010

I believe your assumption is not correct. Our current portfolio backtester
is a simulation tool that considers all important factors in a simulated trading. It doesn't need account equity, buying power, available margin, because all transactions are simulated in the past and it is theoretically impossible to get the account equity, buying power, available margin.

This year we are adding real-time portfolio trading and implement the values
your request.

What is special in the Broker/Account Window of PTMultistation? Why don't
you use it for your portfolio trading if you indicate it as a reference for
us?

flipflopper

Postby flipflopper » 11 Feb 2010

Glad to hear you will be implementing this soon.

I am correct because you are talking about the portfolio backtester in your response. The quote that I pulled from the site is referring to portfolio trading.

The reason I posted PTMultistation is since you are getting into portfolio trading it is important for the system (and the trader) to have a good snapshot of their available buying power and account equity so they can make proper position sizing decisions. They have done some interesting things with account management that you may want to take a look at.

I have tried PTMultiation and I still prefer Multicharts! Keep up the great work!

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 11 Feb 2010

They have done some interesting things with account management that you may want to take a look at.
True. They have the best concept of a trading platform on the market. One can manage several accounts (automatically and manually) via one terminal. I could connect to several brokers and execute orders with a single button click.
I have tried PTMultiation and I still prefer Multicharts! Keep up the great work!
I demo tried them for 1 day. Any system is as good as its weakest link. Their charting sucks to the utmost. Every free chrting platform is better. As far as charting goes I never saw anything worst than MultiStation. So I trashed this software after one day.

flipflopper

No question that Multicharts has the best charting on the market... period.

I originally purchased for their charting only and used NT to manually enter my trades. I have recently begun automating a lot of my trading whcih makes me look at things in a whole new light.

MultiChart Pro's:

* Best Charting on the Market.
* Easylanguage has tons of documentation and is easy to use and implement.
* Portfolio Backtesting.
* excellent data management with the ability to import ASCII.
* Walk forward optimization.

MultiChart Cons:

* No ability access critical account information in your strategies. (Multicharts says they are adding this functionality this year)
* No ability to drill down in portfolio backtesting to see how individual instruments performed during optimization.
* No ability to view account info through Multicharts.

Tresor

Rome was not built in one day.
* No ability to view account info through Multicharts.
Manual orders are to be implemened this year: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=7093

This seems logical for me that the account info would be a natural outcome of this feature. So let us relax and let TSS do their job :)

flipflopper

Multicharts has come a long way. They are making great strides and most traders I know would LOVE to have only one piece of software up and running while they trade.

Hopefully Multicharts can be that software.

Tresor

I am sure that once Andrew and Anastassia download MultiStation and play with it for a few minutes they will know what to do with MC.

If they are not sure, they can always ask our opinion.

And I do share your dream of having a single platform through which you can:
- trade anything from stocks and forex to spread betting
- execute orders through a number of supported brokers
- manage your and your clients accounts, etc.

Let us have faith :P

flipflopper

So far they actually HAVE made all the right decisions. That is the amazing thing and why I have so much faith in this company! I just hope the streak continues!!

Tresor

COOL!

Return to “MultiCharts”