How do follow a forum topic without actually posting.

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bowlesj3

How do follow a forum topic without actually posting.

Postby bowlesj3 » 12 Feb 2010

Hi,

I know there is a hyperlink on the forum to stop getting notifieid of a topic/thread with emails. Is there a way to start getting notified of updates to a topic without actually posting yourself? Just curious.

Thanks,
John.

Spaceant

Re: How do follow a forum topic without actually posting.

Postby Spaceant » 12 Feb 2010

Hi,

I know there is a hyperlink on the forum to stop getting notifieid of a topic/thread with emails. Is there a way to start getting notified of updates to a topic without actually posting yourself? Just curious.

Thanks,
John.
I am interested too! Sometimes, I am interested in some topics, but I don't have much to say, but like to follow the topics....

Sa

TJ

Postby TJ » 12 Feb 2010

post a thank you note to the OP...
that should do it.

;-)

ABC

Postby ABC » 12 Feb 2010

John,

this is a very useful suggestion, I'd like to see this, too. Maybe the forum software already supports such a feature and it can be turned on?

In the meantime TJs suggestion would work, but in the long run this would only spam the forum and make threads way too hard to read - just imagine 10 or even 100 people would want to follow a thread, so you'd have to dig through several pages of "thank you" note, before you find some useful information. As stated before, a very useful feature and should be implemented rather sooner than later. Maybe at the same time a Wiki can be constructed, as this might help getting less support questions for the TS Support staff?

Regards,
ABC

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 12 Feb 2010

Why don't you just click the link that says "watch this topic for replies" at the bottom of the thread?

TJ

Postby TJ » 12 Feb 2010

Why don't you just click the link that says "watch this topic for replies" at the bottom of the thread?

arh... I think that's what everybody was looking for !

geizer

Postby geizer » 13 Feb 2010

Hmm... important feature indeed

An excerpt from the TS Support forum FAQ: http://forum.tssupport.com/faq.php#37
Why isn't X feature available?
This software was written by and licensed through phpBB Group. If you believe a feature needs to be added then please visit the phpbb.com website and see what the phpBB Group has to say. Please do not post feature requests to the board at phpbb.com, as the Group uses sourceforge to handle tasking of new features. Please read through the forums and see what, if any, our position may already be for features and then follow the procedure given there.
my understanding is phpBB board is a work in progress, with many versions of it. A quick search results in:

- Watch topic for reply: http://www.phpbb.com/search/?q=watch+topic

- Alternatively, this can be achieved via RSS feed: http://www.phpbb.com/search/?q=RSS

-or even more liberal - (cautiously) a complete forum overhaul:
About: http://bbpress.org/about/
Examples: http://bbpress.org/about/examples/

I think, the best approach would be to volunteer for the forum to implement the feature.
Html, phpBB... anyone good at?

--
Pavel

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 13 Feb 2010

Lots of great added ideas. Thanks.

The reason I brought it up is I have been updating my binarysearch routine and putting the improved version out on the user contributed code forum. A few people have been downloading the new improved version. The problem is anyone who downloaded the old version and is using it should start using the new version instead because even though the old version basically worked it also had two serious flaws. The new version is completely reworked and is much better. The question is how are they going to know I have been updating it since there have been no replies to that thread. I realize they could be in the habit of looking there but I know I am not. If I download something from there I would want to make sure I am notified of any changes without having to post to the thread.

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 14 Feb 2010

I think, the best approach would be to volunteer for the forum to implement the feature.
Html, phpBB... anyone good at?

--
Pavel
You seem to be totally missing that the forum already has this feature and has had it for a long time. See my post above for how to do it.

bowlesj3

Postby bowlesj3 » 14 Feb 2010

Bruce is correct. The message at the bottom changes depending on whether or not you have already posted or have already removed yourself I assume. In a way he is incorrect in that he said "look at the bottom area" when he could have more clearly said "look at the bottom of a thread that you have not aleady posted too because you won't see it if you have already posted to it". Makes sense of course. I guess I have never noticed it because I have never wanted to do it.

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 14 Feb 2010

Thanks - you're right, I should have added in case anyone didn't realize it already that the message changes after you're already subscribed to show how to unsubscribe, so the wording is context specific.

geizer

Postby geizer » 14 Feb 2010

You seem to be totally missing that the forum already has this feature and has had it for a long time. See my post above for how to do it.
Thank you Bruce, I must have missed it.

--
Pavel

geizer

Re:

Postby geizer » 26 Dec 2010

There is no more button to "watch this topic for replies" at the bottom of the thread.
I believe the button vanished since forum have got a new look.

Dave, is it possible to reincarnate the button ?

Thanks and happy holiday season !
Pavel

Return to “MultiCharts”