Showing results in pips

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ym

Showing results in pips

Postby ym » 20 Mar 2010

is there any way i can retrieve netprofit and openpositionprofit in PIPS rather than in current account currency ?

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 20 Mar 2010

Divide by BigPointValue to translate P/L to points, then divide by MinMove/PriceScale to translate the points to pips.

Bear in mind, MultiCharts doesn't yet have currency conversion features per se, so conversion rates are always fixed if you're trying for instance to convert from EUR/JPY back to USD.

ym

Postby ym » 20 Mar 2010

Bruce,
profit_pips=(netprofit/bigpointvalue)/(MinMove/PriceScale) ?
Yann

Bruce DeVault

Yes, that's the answer in ticks. If you have spot forex data that's in "1/10 pips" e.g. 0.00001 instead of 0.0001 for EUR/USD, you might want to divide the pips result by 10 to adjust for that, but otherwise, pips would be equal to ticks. Some will prefer to algebraicly rearrange it to multiplication instead of division, but it's the same answer either way.

ym

Postby ym » 20 Mar 2010

bruce,
in my indic, when I use this formula to replace a display of, say, 1,747usd net profit to a pips-net profit, it gives me a 174712467 pips result !!!
since my lot size is 100,000, it should normally give me a 174 pips result ...
there must be something wrong.
yann

Bruce DeVault

Divide by (your lot size * # of lots in the position) for spot forex if you want the pips per lot. This only applies to spot forex - for equities or commodities you would simply divide by the size of the position in shares or contracts respectively.

Return to “MultiCharts”