eSignal not displaying volume?

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
bmills313

eSignal not displaying volume?

Postby bmills313 » 31 Mar 2010

My charts use bars built on contract volume. The bars are being created and plotted properly but the volume in the status line does not display properly, or at all really.

Stranger still is I switched data providers yesterday from TS to eSignal and the volume displayed in the status line is the volume from yesterday's close as taken from my TS feed; it's like the volume was frozen in time.

Does anyone have an idea what's going on? It's obviously receiving the volume data since it's building the bars properly but for some reason it cannot display a volume figure. I tested a couple symbols out by clearing their cache and reloading the chart but it still shows yesterday's close data as pulled from TS but I added a new symbol that I did not have in my database before eSignal and plotted it and it shows a volume figure that does not match today's volume...so now I'm wondering if those #'s are coming from TS at all or if it's just stuck on yesterday's close.

If it helps, I'm using MC 6.0 beta 2 and my eSignal subscription is for data only, no charting. Oh and per a previous post, I simply renamed the TS symbols in my database with the proper eSignal symbol, in case you think that makes a difference...

Thanks.

bmills

arnie

Postby arnie » 31 Mar 2010

Hi.

Try this:

Mouse right button over a chart, open Format Window, and under Status Line, check Enable Tracking Mode.

Regards,
Fernando

bmills313

Postby bmills313 » 31 Mar 2010

Hi.

Try this:

Mouse right button over a chart, open Format Window, and under Status Line, check Enable Tracking Mode.

Regards,
Fernando
OK, now this gets even weirder...

I have 2 different resolutions on the chart and they normally show the same volume in the status line behind the desciption for each resolution, which is fine.

I did what you suggested and as I move the mouse over the bars the correct volume for the individual bars shows up behind the description for the 2nd resolution and the volume labeled behind the 1st resolution appears to be the proper total volume for the day. However, when I move the mouse off the chart the volume for both resolutions resets back to incorrect EOD volume from yesterday.

Your fix gets me a bit closer to getting everything back to normal but any idea why it's doing this?

bmills

arnie

Postby arnie » 01 Apr 2010

You have 2 resolutions on the chart?

You have 2 instruments (the same symbol but with 2 different resolutions) on the same chart, and both are volume bar based?
The volume at the status line you're talking about is the standard volume indicator?

If so, try to do the same, but with minute bars to see how volume reading reacts.

Maybe it's better for you to contact MC support through live chat or call them directly.

regards,
Fernando

bmills313

Postby bmills313 » 02 Apr 2010

You have 2 resolutions on the chart?

You have 2 instruments (the same symbol but with 2 different resolutions) on the same chart, and both are volume bar based?
The volume at the status line you're talking about is the standard volume indicator?

If so, try to do the same, but with minute bars to see how volume reading reacts.

Maybe it's better for you to contact MC support through live chat or call them directly.

regards,
Fernando
In the status line there's the option to display the volume so that's what I checked. I do not have a separate volume indicator on the chart. With my old TS data feed this worked fine and displayed the actual volume for both volume bar resolutions (which was annoying, but oh well) but for some reason something got all crazy when I switched to eSignal and now it only displays the total volume for the previous session.

It does the same thing with time-based bars, tick bars, you name it. I now know that it's displaying the volume from the day prior's close and not something else and I'm not sure when it's resetting that # as it's not happened any time while I've been in front of the screen.

I need to contact support to figure it out, which will unfortunately have to wait until Monday...

bmills

bmills313

Postby bmills313 » 08 Apr 2010

Follow up:

I spoke with support a couple days ago and they checked into the issue and found that it is a known error and they are working to have it fixed in a future version of MC.

If you monitor the symbol through eSignal data manager you'll see a field for total volume which displays the total volume from the previous session and another for "AccVolume" which is the actual/current volume for that session.

Looking through eSignal's knowledgebase it turns out that eSignal by default displays only the total volume for the previous session. This seems really stupid because if you're looking at a chart, what good does displaying yesterday's total volume do you? I'm sure if you're using eSignal charting you can somehow call up the "AccVolume" but I'll never know as I don't use their charting.

Oh well...maybe they'll get this fixed in MC 7...

bmills

Return to “MultiCharts”