Advices Needed: Swing Trading or Others

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Bullstock

Advices Needed: Swing Trading or Others

Postby Bullstock » 12 Apr 2010

Hi,

I have been spending a very log time in devloping / optimizing my intraday breakout strategy which now runs acceptable profitable result. I do notice that this breakout strategy doesn't work good during some non-volatile / quite / relative narrow day range days. I want to add the other ingredients into it to make it more robust.

Now, I would like to move to study another area - swing trading or other strategies that will act a bit of complemntary to the intraday breakout strategy. This is the area that I have never spent time on. I have done a preli research on classic type of Stochastic / MACD related strategies which don't really perform or promising at all for themselves along.

I would like to seek some advices or directions that I should go. I appreciate if you can give me some suggestions.

Thanks!~~ :roll:

TJ

Postby TJ » 12 Apr 2010

have you looked at ADX?

say, if ADX < 25 then do nothing?

or, if volume < XXX then do nothing?

or, if time = lunchtime then do nothing?

brodnicki steven

Postby brodnicki steven » 12 Apr 2010

Another might be : if range <= x then begin

Bullstock

have you looked at ADX?

say, if ADX < 25 then do nothing?

or, if volume < XXX then do nothing?

or, if time = lunchtime then do nothing?
I am using IB data in which the volume is not accurate, so I don't think the second one worth spending to study. I have studied the third one already.

I may take a look at the ADX.

Thanks, TJ

Bullstock

Another might be : if range <= x then begin
That is the area that I want to explore. My thought is using the X Daily Range Average (XDRAvg) as a filter.

If XDRAvg < Y {or other appropriate filter} then begin
My SwingTrading Strategy
End; Else
My Breakout Strategy;

Now the key area is to identify and develop a profitable Swing Trading Strategy (or others) that is profitable.

BTY, is there any pivot point (resistance / support) related mechanical strategy that is profitable? If you know, please let me know, so I have a direction that I should look at too!!

Return to “MultiCharts”