Suggestion: # of Bars Offset for Perf Rpt Chart Sync

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
MC_Prog

Suggestion: # of Bars Offset for Perf Rpt Chart Sync

Postby MC_Prog » 14 Apr 2010

Hi.

I'd like to offer praise for the MC Strategy Performance Report Chart Synchronization feature, and suggest one small addition to it.

This is the feature that lets you click on a trade in the List of Trades, causing the chart to scroll to make that trade visible, and identifiable with a big fat entry or exit arrow.

Having located your initial trade of interest and placed it on the chart, you can then just move the mouse and the big-arrow highlight will track as you hover over different trades.

Here is the dialog that let's the user choose to sync either the left chart edge to trade entry, or the right chart edge to trade exit:

I think this is an excellent implementation. This is the easiest "visual trade browse" that I know of. The choice of Entry or Exit based alignment, the use of the "big arrows" to highlight the trade, and the ability to simply move/hover the mouse across the trade list without having to click are all well-designed, well-implemented features.

One thing I would add is to allow an offset to be specified, in # of bars, so that instead of the selected trade entry falling exactly at the edge of the chart, the specified # of bars would be used to "pad" the edge. This would provide the desired amount of context, and ensure that the entire trade, with it's associated markings, is clearly visible from the git-go.

Thanks to TSS for a great implementation of trade browsing!

P.S. "rce Descriptor" seems to be a pretty obscure title for the Settings dialog. I would also suggest renaming that.
Attachments
MC_FatEntryArrow.jpg
Fat Entry Arrow
(49.64 KiB) Downloaded 310 times
MC_ChartSync_EntryOrExitBased.jpg
Choice of Entry or Exit Sync
(35.41 KiB) Downloaded 309 times

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 14 Apr 2010

One other suggestion is that the connection between the trade list and the chart be made bi-directional.

IOW, in addition to a click in the trade list relocating and placing a highlight (big arrow) in the chart, let a click in the chart, if it falls during a trade, relocate and highlight the trade list.

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 14 Apr 2010

These seem like very reasonable suggestions to improve incrementally upon what's there now, when this feature is next being revised.

Return to “MultiCharts”