data1 and data2, two different sessions, one is invisible...

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
ctrlbrk

data1 and data2, two different sessions, one is invisible...

Postby ctrlbrk » 18 Apr 2010

What I want:

data1 = RTH
data2 = 24/5

I don't want to see data2. I tried both "Hide" and "invisible bars". In both cases, I "see" it because it dramatically changes the spacing/scaling of data1.

Why does "hide" not actually hide the data series? I only want the dataseries to be available to indicators so I can use a RTH chart but plot globex pivots.

Mike

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 19 Apr 2010

This is a complex issue - "hide" affects only the visibility of panes and the scale within the panes, but does not affect where the charting engine draws a bar or considers the times to take up horizontal space. There's not to the best of my awareness currently a mechanism in MultiCharts to have bars exist from an analysis perspective that are not included in the time ("X") axis. It's an interesting conundrum, but not one that many trading platforms are well set up to solve.

ctrlbrk

Postby ctrlbrk » 19 Apr 2010

Thx.

Is there any possible scenario why the charting engine would need to do it the way it currently does? Is it useful like this somehow that I am not seeing? Because, to me, "hide" should mean it is hidden from the chart in all ways.

This also causes problems with more than just trying to plot Globex pivots on a RTH chart. It's also an issue trying to plot a 5 minute EMA20 on a small range chart, etc etc -- all because of the spacing.

It seems like this should be easy enough to fix as well.

Mike

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 19 Apr 2010

Well, one reason "hide" doesn't omit the horizontal space by default is that it's pretty common for instance to put a data series on the chart, then put indicators on that data series, then hide the data series itself but keep the indicators shown. If hiding the data series hid those "bar slots" from the charting engine, there would be no where to show the indicators, which normally have a 1-to-1 relationship of bars to the underlying base series bars - the data series for which determine the slots shown in the charting engine on the screen.

It sounds like maybe what you might be suggesting is that IF a data series is hidden, and if none of the indicators based on them happen to have any plots for bars besides the ones corresponding to other data series that are shown, those particular slots should not be shown by the charting engine. But that's non-trivial, and has to be evaluated bar by bar - it's not a simple matter of not showing the space at all because indicators might display there.

ctrlbrk

Postby ctrlbrk » 19 Apr 2010

Hmm. Thx for the discussion.

To me, I look at "invisible" as what you described. Invisible means I don't want to see the bars, but I want to have spacing in tact.

Perhaps we just need a third option from "invisible", "hidden", and finally "third-option" to accomplish what I am wanting.

I am not sure I understand why it has to be evaluated bar by bar? I expect the data to be available just like normal, in data2, whether the option is "invisible", "hidden", or "third-option". The only thing that changes is that if it is third-option, then don't do any drawing to the chart whatsoever -- no invisible bars, no spacing, nothing.

To me, it seems like the way it should be and seems logical. :)

Mike

Return to “MultiCharts”