PLEditor questions

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
duration

Postby duration » 22 Apr 2010

Hi,

I am using Multicharts 5.5 and it seems that whenever a powerlanguage is larger than 3000 lines, it displays all the text in the "none" color. Maybe it has been fixed in beta 6, I don't know.

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 22 Apr 2010

Hi,

I am using Multicharts 5.5 and it seems that whenever a powerlanguage is larger than 3000 lines, it displays all the text in the "none" color. Maybe it has been fixed in beta 6, I don't know.
You may want to take a look at the workaround I posted in this thread: http://forum.tssupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=5976 - this is definitely a known issue, and you're right, it's something that needs to be addressed. (Please note: I haven't tested this workaround on 5.5 but it may work there also, so give it a try if you like!)

duration

Postby duration » 22 Apr 2010

Dear Bruce,

Thank you for the tip, that's great.

There is also another slight issue.

I have a code of +6,000 lines.

Nothing incredible, just based on public indicators (no rocket science heavy calculations), I just try to organise the layout clearly: many line jumps.

It runs on a i930 with 6Gb of RAM.

I cannot compile the code for fast execution, it returns errors at line 0.

I can only compile for fast compilation.

Is this a known issue?

Could this 10,000 line limit also be uncapped?

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 22 Apr 2010

I am unsure regarding this - I would suggest you contact TS Support directly via their support page to see if they can help you with it. It would be best on this to contact them that way rather than via the peer support forum.

janus

Postby janus » 22 Apr 2010

I would recommend you break up the 6000+ lines of code into various functions. It would make the code far more readable and easier to debug.

By the way, I have found the PLEditor to contain several bugs and deficiencies, some of which I've posted before. It needs to be rewritten from scratch.

Bruce DeVault

Postby Bruce DeVault » 24 Apr 2010

When it makes sense, functions are a good way to structure your code so that it's easier to maintain.

I agree PowerLanguage Editor needs some attention, especially with regard to longer source files where performance can become sluggish or errors can occur in compilation according to some reports. If you search the peer support forums for "editor" you'll see a number of threads about this, including some posted from here with suggestions and feedback regarding handling of large files.

janus

Postby janus » 24 Apr 2010

Some attention? It needs a complete rewrite. One of the major bugs is the corrupted undo feature. If MS Word has the same bug and refused to fix it for many years, MS would have been sued for billions for lost productivity and everyone would have moved to another product.

Now I noticed another bug. Sometimes when I click on another application in the task bar to pop up, the cursor in the PLEditor window moves to a different location. Why does TSS insist on making life harder for programmers? :x

Perhaps it's my fault. I expected too much of MC in general. The lack of complete documentation as highlighted in another post is another example. I'm now becoming more convinced I chose the wrong trading platform for my development work. MC is not really designed for serious developers like myself. I think I now understand that MC is really designed for the less professional market players.

I agree with this comment made a reviewer of MC:

"Multicharts has potential but as we all know potential is often never realised. I hope they sort it out but all the time they press on with new features while the most basic bugs remain few people will take it seriously."

I will have to think long and hard as to what I should do. I've been eager to check out other packages like NT and AB. More likely though I will put up with the numerous problems I've encountered with MC now that I've become accustomed to most of them.
:cry:

Henrik

Postby Henrik » 25 Apr 2010

@ janus

I have a NT Licence and a MultiCharts Licence.
Both have his own advanceds and cons.

I switch with livetrading from NT to MC because in NT there are much more and bigger bugs (I wanna sell my NT licence...).

Look at some good trading-forums. You will see many customers who switch from NT to MC...and noone who switch from MC to NT. If you want I can post these lin ks.

There is no perfect trading-platform for everybody. You must find the best compromise for yourself.

janus

Postby janus » 25 Apr 2010

Yes, please post me the links. Thanks.

Henrik

Postby Henrik » 25 Apr 2010

Here are some lin.ks abount NT and MC, differences between this platforms and typical errors etc.

some about NT
http://www.bigmiketrading.com/platforms ... rader.html

NT 7 supportforum (see typical problems)
http://www.NT-support2.com/vb/ ... y.php?f=44

Video: backtesting/optimizion NT vs MC
http://www.bigmiketrading.com/platforms ... ation.html

about MC
http://www.bigmiketrading.com/platforms ... harts.html

about NT 7 beta (german)
http://www.tom-next.com/community/NT ... c78ccd7f57

about MC 6 beta (german)
http://www.tom-next.com/community/Multi ... 57177.html

janus

Postby janus » 25 Apr 2010

Thanks, very interesting reading. Haven't read all of it yet but what I've seen so far makes me think I should avoid NT.

I agree with your statement: there's no perfect trading platform for everyone. If there were one everyone would be using it, right?

A common theme is users agree MC has a long way to go with some of the very important features, like manual override trading. I've fixed that myself by writing my own dll stub and custom application. So, that's not a major concern for me. Still, it would be a benefit for others to have this feature some time soon, which apparently is the case.

As I thought, I'll probably be better off staying with MC and work around some of the limitations and live with the various annoyances. After all, the exercise is to develop better and more profitable trading strategies, not necessarily finding the best trading platform for my needs, which would take up too much of my time. I'll try to remember this each time I get angry about some annoying bug in MC.

Perhaps when I make enough money I'll hire a large number of programmers and develop what I feel is the ideal trading platform. I certainly don't have a shortage of ideas. However, I'll probably have better things to do.

Return to “MultiCharts”