BUG: "Reload Data" ERASES ALL DATA

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
TraderJ

BUG: "Reload Data" ERASES ALL DATA

Postby TraderJ » 31 May 2010

The "Reload Data" action (hotkey Ctrl+R) seems to erase all data for the timeframes and symbols in the worksheet. There is no confirmation dialog which asks whether to delete all existing data in the database. I think that "Reload Data" should be limited to LOAD only data which is available at the data provider. It should not ERASE any local data which it can not load from the data provider.

This is really evil because historical data is one of the most valuable things in algorithmic trading. I trade with IB and therefore I can not get intraday data back which is older than a year.

The "reload data" action is devastating. There should be a seperate action to erase existing data protected by at least one confirmation dialog with an urgent warning. Having Ctrl+R erasing all existing data without warning comes close to having a hotkey Ctrl+F under windows which formats the hard disk without warning.

The least thing I would like to see in a future release of MC is an urgent warning that "Reload Data" will erase all existing data in the database. A better solution would be a new action "Erase Data" which is protected with that warning.

Anastassia

Postby Anastassia » 01 Jun 2010

Hello TraderJ,

Reload doesn't delete all of the data saved in the data base.

Regarding intraday request, data in the base is overwritten by the data that is returned from the data vendor when reloading. If you data provider doesn't return any data for the session, data for that session stays unchanged in the data base.

Thank you

TraderJ

Postby TraderJ » 01 Jun 2010

Hello Anastassia,

I pressed Ctrl+R to invoke a reload and after I did this, all data in the worksheet (1-min forex, bid and ask) was gone except for the last year.

You say that this should not happen, so this is a bug in my opinion.

I had to restore the database from a backup to get my data back.

Regards,
TraderJ

Anastassia

Postby Anastassia » 02 Jun 2010

Hi TraderJ,

In order to confirm the issue described is a bug we need to reproduce it on our end. Could you please tell me what exactly you are doing when the problem occurs? What is the symbol name, resolution, and the data range of the request? Data source is Interactive Brokers, right?

Thank you in advance!

TraderJ

Postby TraderJ » 02 Jun 2010

Here are the details:

Datasource: Interactive Brokers
Exchange: IDEALPRO
Symbol: EUR.CHF
Resolutions (4 Series, 4 Charts): 1-min ASK, 1-min BID, 1-Hour ASK, 1-Day ASK
Date Range: 5000 Days Back (Starting from 30. June 2008)

I pressed Ctrl+R to reload the data, but that erased all data older than a year.

Return to “MultiCharts”