Nice bell and whistle in MT5 - for consideration in future

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Tresor

Nice bell and whistle in MT5 - for consideration in future

Postby Tresor » 07 Jun 2010

I am playing around with MT5 beta and noticed a nice feature, namely a small triangle that one can drag left and right to set the right margin that might be most suitable for the trader at the moment. Easy and quick to use tool.

At the moment in MC one has to go to Format Window - X time scale - Right margin - Number of bars, which takes time.

If there ever comes the time programmers of MC have nothing to do, this is a feature they might consider to add.
Attachments
setting right margin.png
(24.49 KiB) Downloaded 587 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 08 Jun 2010

Dear Tresor,

This option is turned off by default in MT5. Which makes me think that the developers do not consider it as a vital one.

I have forwarded your suggestions to the developers. However, we do not plan to implement this feature for the moment.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 08 Jun 2010

However, we do not plan to implement this feature for the moment.
Of course. It is a minor feature.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 23 Jun 2010

It just flashed accross my mind that the feature I requested can be handled yet much more easily, via Format Window.

Dave, do you think MC developers could consider such a minor feature?
Attachments
1.png
(29.07 KiB) Downloaded 561 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 24 Jun 2010

Dear Tresor,

This might be a good idea, but unfortunately it cannot be done in MultiCharts. We have a displacement of x bars for the indicators. MC thinks bars and not pixels.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 24 Jun 2010

Dear Dave,

If there ever comes the time MC developers have nothing to do it would be nice if they programmed MC to optionally think either bars or pixels (depending on a trader's choice) thus making it possible to set a fixed right margin in MC.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 24 Jun 2010

Dave, there is a solution, namely Dynamic Right Margin which is going to be set as a proper relation between (i) bar spacing in Pixels and (ii) Right Margin in Bars.

A picture attached. If this feature is implemented then a trader would have always the same margin on the screen irrecpective of bar spacing and there would be no need to teach MC to think pixels :D
Attachments
Dynamic vs fixed margin.png
(23.71 KiB) Downloaded 550 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 25 Jun 2010

Dear Tresor,

I have forwarded your suggestion to the developers. Could you please precise what is the practical value of such implementation, besides the fact that it looks nicer?

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 25 Jun 2010

Could you please precise what is the practical value of such implementation, besides the fact that it looks nicer?
Sure.

I am a trader who does not use indicators at all. I only look for specific visual / geometrical patterns, like flags, gartleys, crabs, etc.

I look for these patterns on different resolutions ranging from 1 minute to 1 week and I also decrease or increase the bar spacing to see more or less history.

If I set the margin on 1D resolution at 150 bars it I am able to find the pattern I want, but if I switch to 1M resolution to look for a smaller pattern, the margin of 150 bars may not be optimal. And in order to find the smaller pattern I need to re-adjust the margin in bars everytime I change the resolution - it is time consuming.

I like the way the right margin is programmed in MT, i.e. whatever resolution I choose and whatever bar spacing I choose, the right margin stays always the same.

I call this feature a ''bell and whistle'', because I believe there are more important task you guys think you should focus on right now, e.g. manual trading and Dukascopy's data and trading gateway integration.

If implementing my bell and whistle would result in delaying the implementing of manual trading or Duka's integration by a single day, then please forget about ''the right margin'' feature.
Attachments
1D 50 bar B.png
(10.5 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
1D 50 bar A.png
(14.54 KiB) Downloaded 545 times

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 28 Jun 2010

Dear Tresor,

I have forwarded your suggestions to the developers. However, you are right that we have more important features to work on at the moment.

Return to “MultiCharts”