indicator crashes PC

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
arnie

indicator crashes PC

Postby arnie » 17 Jul 2010

Hi.

I've been working on an indicator, that so far, always worked fine.
Just made a few changes, and although PLE compile it successfully, when I plotted on the chart my PC just froze.

I thought maybe it was some problem with MC 6 beta 4 or even with my PC, since it has been giving some problems lately.
I decided to test it on my laptop, with MC 5.5 and for the first time I saw Windows Vista crashing :shock: The same thing happened as it did on my desktop.

Can I assume that is normal for an indicator to crash (froze) a PC even when PLE successfully compiles it?

Why? How?

Regards,
Fernando

TJ

Postby TJ » 17 Jul 2010

that must be one potent indicator you have... ;-)>

TJ

Postby TJ » 17 Jul 2010

EasyLanguage is a high level programming language,
none of the EL keywords are capable of direct low level memory manipulation.
So I doubt any keywords in the indicator is at fault for crashing your computer.
(unless it invokes an external program that does the damage. eg. DLL, etc.)

I did experience your episode once...
It happened recently (sorry I did not record the MC version);
The indicator crashed my computer a couple of times, this happened right after I installed the release, so I knew immediately that the installation did not go well. I uninstalled MC and re-installed it from scratch; that did the trick, I have had no problem since.

I have no explanation of what happened,
nor why it happened to your MC 5.5 as well.

arnie

Postby arnie » 18 Jul 2010

Thanks TJ.

I plotted that indicator (trendlines marking the overnight, the 1st hour trading range, and a couple of extensions calculations based on those 2 readings) on a 2 year of 1 minute ES data, when the PC crashed.
It would have plotted 14 trendlines for each trading day on ES.

Maybe the fact that being trendlines on such a big time frame, confused the PC (although the same indicator did react the same way on just a 1 month of 1 minute data) and he couldn't handled the calculations, since plotting the standard lines worked fine. The PC took a while to make the calculations, but plotted the lines without a problem.

Although PLE compiled it successfully, I'm sure that there was some problem with it that forced the PC to crash.
I'm a newbie at EL and it's normal for me to spend hours just to do a singe EL line :roll:

Anyway, through the lines I was able to collect the data that I wanted, so no harm was done.

Regards,
Fernando

TJ

Postby TJ » 18 Jul 2010

1. does the indicator crash your PC even when MC is offline?
(ie. the chart is not updating every tick)

2. have you tried 4 days of a 5 min chart?
(ie fewer bars)

ps.
The drawing keywords (TL_NEW, ARW_NEW, TEXT_NEW) can be tricky.
If you program them "incorrectly", they can inadvertently repeat the drawing at every tick,
and you will ended up with thousands of drawing objects overlaying (hidden) one on top of the previous one.
ie. your computer will run out of memory quickly... causing it to crash.

arnie

Postby arnie » 18 Jul 2010

I applied the indicator with MC offline, so the update every thick wasn't the issue.

Actually I didn't try it on a higher bar frame. I'll try that.

But I agree with you. I must have created some trendlines incorrectly, creating some sort of trendline drawing repetition :oops:

Return to “MultiCharts”