Bar Magnifier mode will be disabled error

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
jefferey

Bar Magnifier mode will be disabled error

Postby jefferey » 19 Jul 2010

I am in the early stages of using multicharts and have programmed a very simple and highly active indicator that is triggered off 1 minute bars with exits using daily trailing stop.

The first thing I noticed was when using the 1 minute bars with a trailing stop, it seemed to assume the best case scenario to trigger the stop, so it became offer I need to check off the bar magnifier box to get tick data to ensure the trailing stop was triggered more accurately.

At the time I was using IQFeed which I then realized only goes back 1 month for tick data.

I've now switched to Barchart.com which is supposed to go back 6 months. However, when I run it I can only go back 1 month. Anything further and I get the message "Not all of the required data has been obtained. Bar Magnifier mode will be disabled."

Appreciate any help!

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Jul 2010

open QM and check to see you have the required data.

jefferey

I went to the barcharts.com MS section and bought the $49/month data with the real-time add on.

I'd previously purchased the IQ charts feed.

Is there somewhere else with better data that includes tick data for at least 6 months back, preferably longer that isn't going to break the bank?

I've always worked at a bank and had access to Bloomberg, Reuters, etc. but now that I'm on my own I'm trying to maintain a reasonable budget.

Thanks

TJ

Postby TJ » 19 Jul 2010

Have you tried 1 second data?
Some datafeed give you more data if your request is for 1 sec?

What symbol(s) you are looking for?
Someone might be able to share?

jefferey

As much as I'd appreciate if someone could share, I'm going to be examining hundreds of symbols so it's likely not practical. Barchart is supposed to go back 6 months, so I'm sure there's a way to do it, I may just have to contact their support if no one here knows how to do it.

Return to “MultiCharts”