Studies don't calculate when intraday and daily in 1 chart

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
trader39

Studies don't calculate when intraday and daily in 1 chart

Postby trader39 » 02 Apr 2006

This is such big bug I am surprised no one has noticed it before.

It can be illustrated with a very simple example - load 40 days of 5 minute data in data1 and 40 days of daily data in data2. Then try to plot the default ( 9 period) moving average on data1. It will not plot; at least not on my configuration. Rather MC shows "calculating" in the status line even though a look at processor usage indicates that no calculations are actually occuring.

Next change data2 to, for example, 60 minute bars or some other intraday period. The moving average study on data1 magically appears! Change data2 back to daily data and the study on data1 disappears again!

I used Esignal data feed for these tests fwiw, but I suspect the same problem may be present with other feeds.

This example is merely representative, I had this problem with most studies I tested and most of the time periods of daily and intraday data I tried to combine.

Hopefully you can fix this easily and quickly :-)

trader39

Problem confirmed with TS feed too

Postby trader39 » 02 Apr 2006

I have now tested this with TS feed as well as Esignal. The data source has no effect. Also, I tested quite a few different active symbols, including AAPL, SPY, QQQQ, and GOOG. The symbol chosen also seems to make no difference.

Alex Kramer

Postby Alex Kramer » 03 Apr 2006

I tried reproducing the issue and found that in MultiCharts 1.90.449.1165 this does not happen - the 9-period moving average is plotted for data1 without any delay, see the example screenshot with AAPL and GOOG stocks from eSignal.

What is the version you're using?
Attachments
mov-av.png
(19.86 KiB) Downloaded 1223 times

trader39

Same version!

Postby trader39 » 03 Apr 2006

I was running the same version Alex. I am testing now on different PCs to see if that makes any difference.

trader39

I am seeing this on all computers tested

I am seeing this on all computers tested alex.

I find that I cannot get the displayed version number of MC to change from 1.90.442.1230 even when I uninstall and reinstall the latest version from your website; however the one I started with was a new computer with only 1.90.449.1165 ever installed on it.

I see from your charts that you may be using a different time zone setting than I am. I am using United States Eastern time ( with daylight savings) on my computers - so right now the computer clock is 11:42 AM.
Charts were set to use local time. What time zone settings are you using - if I can get rid of the bug by matching your time zone settings we may have narrowed down the problem.

trader39

version number not changing

The version number is displayed on the same information window as the registration code and licensee. These also do not delete when a new version is installed. Could it be that MC is accidentally saving and displaying the old version number the same way it saves the registration code through an uninstall?

Alex Kramer

Re: I am seeing this on all computers tested

Postby Alex Kramer » 03 Apr 2006

What time zone settings are you using - if I can get rid of the bug by matching your time zone settings we may have narrowed down the problem.
I use GMT+03.

Return to “MultiCharts”