MultiCharts Portfolio Backtester News

Questions about MultiCharts and user contributed studies.
Dave Masalov

MultiCharts Portfolio Backtester News

Postby Dave Masalov » 25 Aug 2010

Dear Sirs,

There is a high demand for quality portfolio backtesting in the trading industry. People who have used the MultiCharts Portfolio Backtester know that it rivals any leading portfolio backtester in the industry.
Many existing and potential users have expressed a wish that MultiCharts regular package did not have the 100 symbol limitation - and we have heard our users.
We have heard our users, and we are pleased to announce - in the next MultiCharts release, the Portfolio Backtester will be able to use more than 100 symbols.
We believe this will be beneficial to a large number of existing license holders, who can upgrade at no charge. New users will be able to benefit from this as well.

The MultiCharts team wishes you all happy trading

Complete information on our Portfolio Backtester can be found here - https://www.multicharts.com/portfolio-backtesting/

Henrik

Re: MultiCharts Portfolio Backtester News

Postby Henrik » 25 Aug 2010

Great! Thank you!

fcetrader

Postby fcetrader » 25 Aug 2010

Many thanks to the MC team.
it is really great !

Fcetrader

MC_Prog

Postby MC_Prog » 05 Sep 2010

- in the next MultiCharts release, the Portfolio Backtester will be able to use more than 100 symbols.
This is good news. I think this decision will have positive consequences both for users and for MC/TSS.

IMO, while it can certainly be appropriate in some circumstances to offer a multi-level product with more capable levels at a higher price point, the differentiation between versions of such a product should be based upon significant, major differences in entire capabilities which are or are not present, rather than on arbitrarily chosen compiled-in numerical limits.

MC's Portfolio Backtester offers a great capability, and I'm all for a) letting the user's deploy that capability as they see fit, without any imposed constraints, and b) the continued evolution of the PB's core capabilities, presentation, reporting, speed, workflow and ease-of-use, all of which I think are pretty darn good today, and hopefully blow-your-socks-off outstanding tomorrow!

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 05 Sep 2010

This is good news. I think this decision will have positive consequences both for users and for MC/TSS.
I would like to see a road map for MC. Would be nice to know what to anticipate in regard to even more positive consequences both for users and for MC/TSS.

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 22 Sep 2010

Dear Tresor,

We intentionally do not reveal our road map for particular reasons.

Tresor

Postby Tresor » 22 Sep 2010

We intentionally do not reveal our road map for particular reasons.
Yes,I figured that out already.

AMarsland

Postby AMarsland » 30 Sep 2010

Thank you for adjusting your license. I will find the extra depth of symbols very useful, especially when testing systems over the full NYSE and NASDAQ universe.

Anthony

siscop

Postby siscop » 16 Feb 2011

Many existing and potential users have expressed a wish that MultiCharts regular package did not have the 100 symbol limitation - and we have heard our users.
We have heard our users, and we are pleased to announce - in the next MultiCharts release, the Portfolio Backtester will be able to use more than 100 symbols.
Cutting of this limitation is great.
Is there an ETA for this release? Is it MC7?

geizer

Postby geizer » 17 Feb 2011

I would like to see a road map for MC. Would be nice to know what to anticipate in regard to even more positive consequences both for users and for MC/TSS.
The road map: More sales and larger market share

konstantin

Postby konstantin » 17 Feb 2011

More than 100 symbols already in the first Beta Release of 7.0 ?

Dave Masalov

Postby Dave Masalov » 17 Feb 2011

Is there an ETA for this release? Is it MC7?
More than 100 symbols already in the first Beta Release of 7.0 ?
Yes, it is planned to be done in the first Beta version of MC 7.

ventus

Postby ventus » 17 Feb 2011

great news! thanks MC team

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 03 Jun 2011

This artificial limitation has been lifted in MultiCharts 7. You can now backtest in a portfolio as many symbols as memory will allow, which is realistically about 500-800 symbols.

kentai

Postby kentai » 07 Jun 2011

Hi Stan,

Recently I tried out the portfolio backtester. I would say that it is quite impressive. It managed to show us how our strategies perform across the board.

There is something in my mind regarding portfolio backtester and I am not sure if the current portfolio backtester can resolve this problem.

I am a Interactive Brokers user and it does not provide intraday CC (continuous chart). As a result, I got to use the same strategy to backtest them one by one to evaluate the outcome. Can the portfolio backtester test the same strategy on May contract and automatically test the Jun contract when the May contract expires. At the same time, it will be good if it can optimise the parameter on the CC chart.

Can the current version do this?

Regards,
Ken

Stan Bokov

Postby Stan Bokov » 07 Jun 2011

Recently I tried out the portfolio backtester. I would say that it is quite impressive. It managed to show us how our strategies perform across the board.
Thank you for your kind words.
I am a Interactive Brokers user and it does not provide intraday CC (continuous chart). As a result, I got to use the same strategy to backtest them one by one to evaluate the outcome. Can the portfolio backtester test the same strategy on May contract and automatically test the Jun contract when the May contract expires. At the same time, it will be good if it can optimise the parameter on the CC chart.
You can do two things:
1. Create Custom Futures in our QuoteManager, effectively "gluing" all of the individual contracts that IB provides together, and use that symbol in the Portfolio Backtester.
2. Sign up with some data provider, such as IQFeed that gives continuous futures contracts, and use their data in the Portfolio backtester. You can get a free 30 day trial of IQFeed. More info here - https://www.multicharts.com/traders-blog/?p=195

Can the current version do this?

Regards,
Ken[/quote]

Return to “MultiCharts”